Author Topic: Motorcycle Front Fenders  (Read 18921 times)

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
Re: Motorcycle Front Fenders
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 07:51:04 PM »
 :-D
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Super Kaz

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 08:01:47 PM »
Rossi's Heart doesn't seem to be in it anymore :??

Rossi has run off the track three (3) times in two races, for no apparent reason.

Hayden last year, Stoner this year, what's Rossi to do?

Call people "bad sports" for racing hard,for doing what he does?

Is this the beginning of the end?

Is this a Gypsy curse?

Stay tuned......

Scott,
You Know it's not easy being The King :wink:!Everyone is always Gunning  for ya :evil:!
I Just want to go Really,Really FAST :-o!
See ya Soon Sultan of Speed.
Your little Prodigy,
Kaz.......... :mrgreen:

Offline gazza414

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 03:21:51 AM »
hummmm........study this pix really good......

Kent what units do the  colour gradients indicate?

Is this a pure theoretical CFD simulation without hard input data or not ?

thanks
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »
pretend your color blind.... just study the high pressure bleed off and wash that totally envelopes the rider except for the top of his helmet and lower legs that stick out in the breeze. looks at the wash from the turbine affect on the front wheel. the question asked here is about a 180 fender... you'll see the turbine wash in front of the forks in fairly high pressure and clean as the low behind the round forks is pretty dirty. a 180 fender will help, especially in the back.
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »
But more fender coverage in the front is such a fashion statement.
Some of them are worth at least 10mph at the Pastrami Stand.
Posers really look race to each other. :wink:

NICE JACK  :roll:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 01:22:32 PM »

pretend your color blind.... just study the high pressure bleed off and wash that totally envelopes the rider except for the top of his helmet and lower legs that stick out in the breeze. looks at the wash from the turbine affect on the front wheel. the question asked here is about a 180 fender... you'll see the turbine wash in front of the forks in fairly high pressure and clean as the low behind the round forks is pretty dirty. a 180 fender will help, especially in the back.
kent

Thanks Kent, makes a little more sense now.  Maybe a fender that actually covers the fork tubes???

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 02:28:01 PM »
Look at the front forks on Tramp and decide why they went to all the trouble before the "Modern Era".
Does anybody remember the old AMA rule that sorta said " No taping of cardboard to the front forks is allowed"?

"Seemingly lost but not entirely forgotten." (me) :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 04:19:28 PM »
Look at the front forks on Tramp and decide why they went to all the trouble before the "Modern Era".
Does anybody remember the old AMA rule that sorta said " No taping of cardboard to the front forks is allowed"?

Ok a dumb question.  I can see why you need a narrow front fender that doesn't blend into the fairing on a street or race bike for cooling.  On the salt where you might get by without as much cooling why not a front fender that is wide at the front with a teardrop shape that would blend into the sides of the fairing??

I tried to show what I'm talking about in the picture above without very good results  :cry:.

c ya,

Sum

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »

Ok a dumb question.  I can see why you need a narrow front fender that doesn't blend into the fairing on a street or race bike for cooling.  On the salt where you might get by without as much cooling why not a front fender that is wide at the front with a teardrop shape that would blend into the sides of the fairing??

I tried to show what I'm talking about in the picture above without very good results  :cry:.

c ya,

Sum

My take on the rules is this wouldn't be allowed.  In the absence of modern rules, something like the old Rifle bike address this issue in the best way, and you're drawing is getting pretty close to heading back that way.

"No part of the fairing ahead of the front axle may be lower than the top of the front rim at the axle vertical center line or be forward of the front edge of the rim.  There must be no streamlining forward of the front edge of the front rim"

Am I misinterpreting the rules, or am I thinking about the wrong class?  When is a fender a fender and when is it streamlining?  :)

landracing

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 04:57:58 PM »
Stockjon,

The statement you posted is for the fairing, not front fender.

Read on in the rule book at 7.F.4 and 7.F.4.1 for front fenders

Jon

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 07:14:46 PM »
sum others have thought of your suggestion... see the "Royce McClintock" rule 7F4-1
kent

Super Kaz

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 08:11:56 PM »

WHERE Doctor Go Fast? :?

Here's a couple experiments :-o I've Tried :|?

Bottom Pic is a great Example of The Most Aerodynamic Motorcycle Racer in the World -Jason Mc Vicar 242+mph

NAKED 8-)! he's no Jockey either :wink:

I'm a Student of Jason Mc Vicar ,and John Noonan :lol: when ever we Race! :cry:

I was fortunate enough to watch them Both set the 2 Most Impressive Motorcycle LSR Record ever"IMHO"! at BUB 2005 Motorcycle Speed Trials :-) 261mph GPS Partial Streamlined & 243mph GPS Naked

THEY KNOW HOW TO GET underthepaint WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR TUCKS!

So I have studied every Pass I could in Hopes to one day be able to compete with them at the ULTIMATE Motorcycle LSR Level!

Hands down The Two Best 2-WHEELED LSR I've ever seen in person............

Thank You Two for RUINING ME :-D!!!!!!!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 09:12:50 PM »
sum others have thought of your suggestion... see the "Royce McClintock" rule 7F4-1
kent

Heck I can't understand the car rules  8-) , I'd better stay out of this bike stuff.  I'll just get myself in trouble and make a bigger fool of myself.

Still I think I would make it as wide as the rules permit and work on the back end of the fender to hopefully help the flow off of it onto the sides of the fairing, but that probably has been worked on a lot already.  It is hard to do something no one else has done  :cry:

Sorry I didn't keep quite too long, did I  :wink:.

c ya in a month Kent, get the sand paper out  :evil:,

Sum

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 10:37:29 AM »
kent

Heck I can't understand the car rules  8-) , I'd better stay out of this bike stuff.  I'll just get myself in trouble and make a bigger fool of myself.

Still I think I would make it as wide as the rules permit and work on the back end of the fender to hopefully help the flow off of it onto the sides of the fairing, but that probably has been worked on a lot already.  It is hard to do something no one else has done  :cry:

Sorry I didn't keep quite too long, did I  :wink:.

c ya in a month Kent, get the sand paper out  :evil:,

Sum

If it was easy everyone would be doing it! :)

Just a thought and not sure if it would meet the rules, but one could use turbulators to "bridge the gap"

Thanks everyone for setting me straight, I too ventured into an area that not familiar with just out of curiosity.  We all know how that turned out for the cat....

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »
Flux Capacitors are the answer and I have them for sale with a special discount for the "Speed Challenged". :wink: