Author Topic: My LS bike build  (Read 86208 times)

dwarner

Re: My LS bike build
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2007, 12:47:36 PM »
I thought you had to know that as a condition for being accepted as a member of SDRC.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2007, 01:03:22 PM »
I thought you had to know that as a condition for being accepted as a member of SDRC.

DW
He is a rookie biker and not expected to be able to previously handle it.

This is an SDRC secret that is only meant for Scott :
"We May Be Chicken Shit But We're Exclusive"
(This was from Ira Hassid, an SDRC Pioneer.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 01:22:21 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #167 on: September 08, 2007, 01:03:22 PM »
We May Bitch, Cuss and Swear, But We Enter.

I think I got it...........

Randy Williams

« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2007, 10:42:32 PM »

Scott,

I would shorten the stack and get a scoop like the Buell pro stock bikes use.
               A little ram air effect could'nt hurt.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2007, 11:23:02 PM »

Scott,

I would shorten the stack and get a scoop like the Buell pro stock bikes use.
               A little ram air effect could'nt hurt.

Randy thanks for the suggestion, it is something I will research farther.

Scott

Offline power58

« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2007, 11:48:17 PM »
Great build photos !  Your work is an inspiration to us all. Will look for you on the starting line . Best of Luck, Burt would be proud.
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2007, 12:57:21 AM »
Great build photos !  Your work is an inspiration to us all. Will look for you on the starting line . Best of Luck, Burt would be proud.

Thank you for the compliment!

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2007, 01:04:46 AM »
Welded these tabs onto each side of the coil mounts to keep it from snapping off due to vibration. Also got the top motor mount painted and drilled the hole for the top motor mount to hook up to the frame.

Coils mounted.......and painted.

Got the camchest installed, ignition installed, oil tank painted and installed, oil lines ran, and trans sprocket cover painted and installed.

Got chain and chain guard installed.

All cables are hooked up with the exception of the kill switches and the tach.

Brake line has been hooked-up and installed

Its coming together.......here is a side view.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 01:07:07 AM by isiahstites »

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2007, 01:32:15 PM »
Scott, It's really looking like a racer now, are you going to get it dirty this weekend? Hope to see you there. PLC

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2007, 07:43:15 PM »
Scott, It's really looking like a racer now, are you going to get it dirty this weekend? Hope to see you there. PLC

Craig,

As long as I do not run into any issues I should have it there Sunday morning with the intention of making some shakedown/tunning runs. If everything goes good I will hammer it in October.

Going to the garage now to finish up the misc stuff (the last 10% has been more work than first 90%) and I hope to start it for the first time this evening.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2007, 02:13:06 AM »
Well I got all of the wiring done and most of the small stuff done. Here are a few pics of the exhaust being painted with some high temp rattle can stuff that ended up looking way better than I ever thought it would. The pipes look ceramic coated.

Tonight I fired the bike up and man is it loud! It fired right up and ran for a few seconds and died..........now I can only get it to fire with the enrichener and same thing it will run for a sec or two at most and die. When it does fire and run for the short time it sounds real healthy and dies just as fast as it started.

So to this point I have checked the petcock for flow, checked to make sure the float bowl was getting fuel and checked the main and intermediate jet for any clogs or debris and everything appears to be good. I am running a dyna 2000i ignition and feel the timing is correct, I feel the problem is with in the carb as I can not see any fuel sprayed into the carb when I twist the throttle open. I am running a S&S D with a Thunderjet.

It got late here quick and everytime I would fire it off I think I scared all of the dogs and cats with in a square mile. So tomorrow I will get to troubleshooting the problem on a fresh mind and hopefully get the beast to idle.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 02:15:42 AM by isiahstites »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2007, 07:38:30 AM »
With only about 3 parts in the S+S, it otta be pretty easy.

Something you might do is give it a little shot of spray type carb cleaner down the throat and see if it picks up as it is about to die.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2007, 12:57:57 AM »
I got the bike figured out this afternoon! It runs, it runs!! The problem was that I wired the coils in parallel like I have always done not realizing that when I bought the coils six months ago that I bought lower resistance coils for the race application, these need to be wired in series so the ignition was trying to protect itself by shutting down since it saw 1.5 ohms instead of the 3.0 ohms it was looking for.

I still need to make adjustments on the carb and the timing. I will do all of these changes on the dyno hopefully next week sometime. I am taking the bike to El Mirage tomorrow to have it inspected in preparation for October's meet. I have decided against running it tomorrow because I was not able to tune the motor at all. I will get a good tune in it in the next week or so and be ready for October.

For those that have asked in the past about the riding position, here is a picture of me testing to see if the tach is located is the optimum place.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 01:02:57 AM by isiahstites »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2007, 09:59:09 AM »
Way to go Scott! Awsome job on the bike and the documentation made us all a part of it as we followed your progress. You've been an inspiration to many I'm sure.

Pete

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2007, 01:21:53 PM »
Very nice work and progress!

I don't know if you've mentioned plans for paint, but I hope you paint the fender to match the tank.  :)