Author Topic: My LS bike build  (Read 86161 times)

Offline OhioFatboy

Re: My LS bike build
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »
pictures, what pictures

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »
pictures, what pictures

I have two or three of you are kinda funny.....

Offline OhioFatboy

« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2007, 03:54:35 PM »
i'm not scared 8-)

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2007, 04:08:14 PM »
I will put them up tonight after I'm done working on the bike.........this will give you some time to think about how big your ass cause I have a picture of you with your ass in the air, I have another one of you pinching someones nipple(a man) and I have one of you holding an umbrella with a big smile on your face..............

Scott

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2007, 06:12:10 PM »
is it the pix with the little mary poppins pink umbrella?
uncle kent

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2007, 06:18:13 PM »
uncle kent

It is not a pink umbrella, however after first seeing the picture Mary poppins comes to mind.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2007, 01:34:28 AM »
uncle kent

It is not a pink umbrella, however after first seeing the picture Mary poppins comes to mind.

Scott

Here is Mary Poppins.........

Here is Marc with his ass in the air...........

And Marc trying to feel up Uncle Kents nips.........

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2007, 01:42:53 AM »
LMAO...  I'm sorry Scott, but, Mary Poppins never came to mind...Not with that pic.... :wink:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2007, 01:44:14 AM »
Got the pistons marked and the tool of choice ready to do the job......

A finished piston......

I started to check the squish band and it is way out so I am assuming I am going to have to mill down the cylinders........more fun.......it seems to be never ending!

So I started on some other areas of the drivetrain I could finish..........here are the cams installed.

I got the new lifter blocks installed along with the new Jim's hydro solid lifters and roll pins. I also put in one push rod tube so I could figure out where all of the seals go......

For my build I decided to run a total loss system, here is the before picture of the front primary sprocket.

And here is the after without the stator and rotor. The rotor weighed over four pounds, this should reduce some of the rotating mass with in the motor.

Got the tranny in and am still trying to figure out the shift mechanism.......I will leave this for tomorrow's work.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2007, 01:45:17 AM »
LMAO...  I'm sorry Scott, but, Mary Poppins never came to mind...Not with that pic.... :wink:

It is just a little bit bigger version of her in some sweaty ass leathers..........

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2007, 01:53:47 AM »
Hey Scott. We're thinkin like maybe your pistons don't match your rods so to speak. Your .200 difference matches our compression height. Like maybe you got stroker rods by mistake...  I dunno.. :?
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2007, 02:05:44 AM »
Hey Scott. We're thinkin like maybe your pistons don't match your rods so to speak. Your .200 difference matches our compression height. Like maybe you got stroker rods by mistake...  I dunno.. :?

Here is a pic of the rods.......I seem to remember I checked this and it was fine..........maybe I have the wrong pistons.......maybe I need to mill the cylinders, either way I will find out Monday.

The old vs the new

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2007, 11:26:07 PM »
I found out today in order to take apart the clutch pack you need a $75-$100 tool. I have neither the time or money so I made a few things I had in the garage work.

First I took a piece of 4" pipe I had left over from a bench grinder stand I built.

I cut a 2" section off of the end.

Set that on the clutch pack

I then took a part from my steering wheel puller and set it over that.

Set it in the press and very carefully compressed the pack and used a flathead screwdriver and very carefully moved the clip out.

This took me about 5 minutes to do from start to finish and I used stuff I had laying around.

Got the new Rivera/Primo pressure plate installed along with the new steel and friction plates.

I got the sprockets installed and the primary chain on..............

Tomorrow a call to NRHS to figure out the minor issue with my motor.

Scott

Offline OhioFatboy

« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
after seeing the pictures i have one thing to say "damn i look good" haha good pics

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2007, 12:12:08 AM »
I found out earlier this week that the problem was with my pistons and was the manufacturer's fault when the order was placed. So I was destined never to make it to Bonneville with this bike this year after all. Turns out when the pistons were ordered there was an error when the order was taken and the pistons were made with the wrong compression height. They were .187 off to be correct, basically I got stroker pistons. So now we have a new dilemma, no pistons! And it takes 5-6 weeks to get pistons made for this bore. After a lot of thinking I decided I was going to have the heads turned down. This didn't work out either because it is an interrupted cut and the cylinder couldn't be held in a manner that was safe enough to cut it without breaking the cylinder or the tooling. Back to square one, again!

After a call to Dan at NRHS it was decided that they were going to take the pistons out of one of the bikes they are working on and send them to me two day so I can have them by Friday in hopes of finishing the bike and making the next El Mirage race.

So a big thanks to Dan for making this right and getting me a set of pistons to use while my other set are be made.

This looks more like it......the piston actually comes to the top of the bore.

Testing for the squish band clearance, this lets me know how close the piston is coming to the head. I have domed pistons and the head has been cut to match the piston.

Squish is in between .0032 - .0035 depending on where the measurement was taken from. I checked six locations per piston. .0030 is the optimum clearance, however I feel good with the clearance I have and not running things so tight.

Here is the pile of measured pieces of solder that were not the desired clearance. The clearance is achieved by adding or taking away of base and head gaskets. When I started I was at about .005.
Also remember every time you take a measurement the head has to be put on and torqued down in sequence, kind of a pain in the ass!

Next job is to clearance the rocker boxes as the stock boxes will not accept the big valves.

Finished with one box

Tomorrow I will finish the rockers boxes and put in the push rods and bleed down the lifters so I can clay the motor to check piston to valve clearance. If all goes well maybe I can finally button the motor up for once.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:14:58 AM by isiahstites »