Author Topic: FIRESTONE BONNEVILLE TIRES  (Read 11665 times)

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: FIRESTONE BONNEVILLE TIRES
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 11:43:17 AM »
WOW Racergeo, I'm really impressed. First that you got someone from Goodyear to call you back and most of all, someone that would talk about going faster than 300mph on their tires. Every time I talked about a speed faster than 299.999mph they would stick their fingers in their ears  and say " I'm not listening ".
  Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
first of all i want you to understand that i didnt contact or ask to be contacted by the Goodyear engineering dept. i dont speak engineer! however i did voice my concern to a salesman at caroll shelby that after i got my glorified front runners i was going to have to take the new $420 tire and put it in the siping machine i bought used and sipe and grind the tire in preperation for high speeds. he had my phone no. and passed it to the engineer who  called me. his total concern was with the practice of siping or grinding the tire. it was a concern for safety pure and simple.   it was i who mentioned " to bad goodyear wouldnt build a purpose built tire to fill that void between the available slower speed tires [up to 250] and the MT's {350 up]. i described this tire as being void the shoulder and tread pattern. at least available in 25" and 28" he then explained how they had taken .050 off shoulder and tread. the problem according to him started when tires i believe he said were made in Chile were made with the extra front runner rubber. thats when the high speed guys [ Nish, Thomason and others] found they had to remove some rubber. his call was to discourage me from grinding on my tires. not needed on the newer 2284 tire but was on the old #2029. also he noted the the land speed tire has two extra plys and 25 wires in the bead. he said his calculations indicated the tire would fail at 321mph. i indicated to him that many had gone faster! I aslo reminded him i had relativily little experience and referred him to Mike Cook and Richard Thomason. I also extended him an invite to speedweek and he said he had been a number of times. He would  love to help our cause but the big dogs prevent it.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 02:32:01 PM »
Jack, sorry I wasn't on the computer earlier to help you...  :? typo, plain and simple,  :roll: you reached for the 4 and fat fingered the 2, we all know you never proofread...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
........to bad goodyear wouldnt build a purpose built tire to fill that void between the available slower speed tires [up to 250] and the MT's {350 up]. i described this tire as being void the shoulder and tread pattern. at least available in 25" and 28" he then explained how they had taken .050 off shoulder and tread. the problem according to him started when tires i believe he said were made in Chile were made with the extra front runner rubber. thats when the high speed guys [ Nish, Thomason and others] found they had to remove some rubber. his call was to discourage me from grinding on my tires. not needed on the newer 2284 tire but was on the old #2029.....................

Good info, thanks.

We have the "Chile" tires I believe on Hooley's Stude and I have a set for my lakester (unused). We have run 241 with the Stude with no apparent problems.  At what speeds to people believe these tires need to be shaved??

Thanks,

Sum

Offline racergeo

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 05:12:32 PM »
 The engineer told me there test equipment was good to 300mph. I told him about the Burklands and I thought they did some testing for MT. He said they had no faliures to 300 and I believe Nish and Danny Boy never had to apply grinding till over 300mph. Im sure there speed rating is 300 regardless of anyone elses experience.

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »
Sounds about right to me. When I talked to Terry Nish about the Goodyears, he said they did not have any issues until about 330mph. Then after grinding them that problem went away. I believe he said they had run them as fast as 370 mph but I suffer from CRC. Can't remember caca     Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Super Kaz

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 09:50:20 PM »
Please, don't anybody read this to Bob and I for one don't want to see Bob die however right he is and I am wrong.
I must get around this somehow.
Does anybody have any ideas, I am at a loss for words ?
I must have been tired.
Ya that's it  "TIRED"
Did I tell ya about the 6 ply Goodrear ?

Be gentle with me, I am old.
Jack :wink:

Naw you  just need a tune up that's all :wink:!
It happens to the Best of US 8-)!
We still Love You JackD :-o.
Do they make a motorcycle tire or what would you suggest for US 2 Wheelers? :?