Author Topic: FIRESTONE BONNEVILLE TIRES  (Read 11664 times)

Offline racergeo

FIRESTONE BONNEVILLE TIRES
« on: April 20, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »
I have a chance to buy Firestone bonneville tires made in early 70s. they look crack free and have no wear. I am wanting to run about 270mph. any experience with failing or tread seperation? also saww guy painting a black substance on Firestones last year any idea whats going on there?  they were down to the cord but he said they had run them for several year that way. i saw a lot of cars with these tires  on them. when did they stop making them? any advice appreciated. thanks

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: FIRESTONE BONNEVILLE TIRES
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 03:30:05 PM »
Don Vesco used old ones, Firestone stopped in 1966 to produce tire, which was kept under right condition on a place in Salt Lake City. They showed no problems up to 400 mph - they were originial rated for 450+ mph. Over 400 he lost a piece of rubber with no effect on the handling. Don never found out why this part went off but the tire kept his air pressure and shape.
What information you need, is, if this tires was kept on a right place and what rate they was originally.
And test this tire by increasing the speed slowly.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 03:56:32 PM »
The tires can "look" crack free off of the rim. You need to put it on a wheel and inflate it (if it's not already) to make sure its good. On the other hand Mickey Thompson is taking orders untill May 15? for high speed tires in 24", 26", 30".
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:12:44 PM »
Howdy All, :-D

What is the effective coefficient of adhesion between the cord (nylon, cotton, rayon, etc) and the salt? :roll:

Ya think that it might be better than rubber? Safer? :-o

Dynoroom is right on about the inflation vs uninflated appearance! :wink: Sorta like buying stuff on ebay and seeing the real item doesn't quite make the grade of the digital pic. :evil:

Regards to All, :-)
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 12:31:19 AM »
I have a chance to buy Firestone bonneville tires made in early 70s. they look crack free and have no wear. I am wanting to run about 270mph. any experience with failing or tread seperation? also saww guy painting a black substance on Firestones last year any idea whats going on there?  they were down to the cord but he said they had run them for several year that way. i saw a lot of cars with these tires  on them. when did they stop making them? any advice appreciated. thanks
Shoe polish?  Makes the cords look like rubber...  :-D
If you have a 14 to 20 Ply tire, a couple of cords are not a big deal.
I believe I've seen someone that holds a record over 400 giving his tires a haircut...  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 01:03:13 AM »
He is talking about the guy with the polished wheel wells.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 02:19:42 AM »
And here I am trying to figure out how to get to the first speed required for a license! :-D

Guess I've been looking at the wrong end of the horse for too long. :lol:

Regards to All,
HB2

Offline racergeo

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 04:32:57 PM »

the head engineer for the Bonneville tires at Goodyear called me and reminded me that the new 2284 as well as other landspeed tires have had 50 thousandths removed ( ruffly half ) of there tread to lighten them up and minimize the need for shaving. also some of these tires have recorded in excess of 360 mph with heavy vehicals (two diesel engines ). unless you need a 30in tire or are going to go over 350 mph why spend the extra 300 each? unless its a status thing. and at 1800lbs each youd have to have a heavy car to over load them. there making another run of these tires in june and his call was in response to my complaint to a salesman that after you got them you had to spend more money or risk life and limb preping them for use. he said his tests showed no problems up to 300mph.

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 07:22:28 PM »
Is that the regular "front runner" Goodyear units? 8-) Or do they have stiffer sidewalls as well?  :-o I would like to know who to call in the Goodyear bunch to talk tech. Used to know a guy in the racing group, but that was years and years ago. :?

Regards,
HB2 :-D

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 12:05:19 AM »
That series of tires feature 2 more plys than the same looking Front Runner used for drag Racing.
That is why the LSR tires are stiffer and heavier.
The first of them was made for a Jim Fueling / Oldsmobile project in 88.
The recient reduced tread material thickness was as the result of input from a number of experienced parties they consulted with. :wink:

" Some of the best advice comes from behind the curtain." (ME)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 01:10:35 AM »
Jack, correct me if I am wrong (as if you wouldn't), but I believe the LSR Goodyear has four more plies, as in six versus two.  If I am wrong, I will blame it on old age, however, if you are wrong I shall die a gloating death............ :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 03:05:58 AM »
Please, don't anybody read this to Bob and I for one don't want to see Bob die however right he is and I am wrong.
I must get around this somehow.
Does anybody have any ideas, I am at a loss for words ?
I must have been tired.
Ya that's it  "TIRED"
Did I tell ya about the 6 ply Goodrear ?

Be gentle with me, I am old.
Jack :wink:

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 08:12:52 AM »
     .............and here I though it was just a check to see who was reading and how close........ :wink:

Jack at a loss for words?:-o   Mark THAT on the calender!

Ed Purinton   

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 08:28:39 AM »
REMARKABLE :-D

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 11:30:05 AM »
Ah, how sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D
Bob Drury