Author Topic: howler  (Read 6109 times)

Offline tortoise

howler
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:12:03 PM »
From Landracing.com homepage:

"British Steam Car Challenge Coming to a Boil 
Written by Administrator     
Friday, 13 April 2007 
 . . . The boilers will generate a formidable four megawatts of energy – almost enough to power a small town for a day."

Offline sockjohn

Re: howler
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »
From Landracing.com homepage:

"British Steam Car Challenge Coming to a Boil 
Written by Administrator     
Friday, 13 April 2007 
 . . . The boilers will generate a formidable four megawatts of energy – almost enough to power a small town for a day."

They claim their turbine makes 350HP, and at 750 watts per HP, this comes out to around 275KW, which seems like the boiler is seriously over sized. 

Anyone know why?  I wouldn't be surprised that it's over sized, but this seems way over sized.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:20:46 PM »
Hot Tea all around.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 10:05:42 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 09:48:21 AM »
Tthere's confusion of time element in the statement:  "...four megawatts of energy – almost enough to power a small town for a day."

A megawatt is an instantaneous measurement.  Ergo the statement should read:  "... almost enough to power a small town."  Or, perhaps the statement could be changed to read "...four megawatt-hoursalmost enough to power a small town for a day."

The latter would imply that the complete boiler system has a limited supply of energy available to make the steam -- so many cu. ft. of natural gas, for instance, or so many lumps of coal, etc.  This is likely -- the car won't have a long tube attached to deliver a stream of gas, and probably won't have a coal car (tender) trailing behind with a guy shoveling coal like the dickens.

By the way, let's do some other math:  A common household electrical bill is for 500-750 kwh/month.  Assume 600 kwh/month for this exercise, divide by 30 days and come up with 20 kwh/day.  4 Mwh = 4000 kwh divided by 20/house = 200 houses.

Pretty small town, but there are some that size, especially way up north.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »
Tthere's confusion of time element in the statement:  "...four megawatts of energy – almost enough to power a small town for a day."

A megawatt is an instantaneous measurement.  Ergo the statement should read:  "... almost enough to power a small town."  Or, perhaps the statement could be changed to read "...four megawatt-hoursalmost enough to power a small town for a day."

The latter would imply that the complete boiler system has a limited supply of energy available to make the steam -- so many cu. ft. of natural gas, for instance, or so many lumps of coal, etc.  This is likely -- the car won't have a long tube attached to deliver a stream of gas, and probably won't have a coal car (tender) trailing behind with a guy shoveling coal like the dickens.

By the way, let's do some other math:  A common household electrical bill is for 500-750 kwh/month.  Assume 600 kwh/month for this exercise, divide by 30 days and come up with 20 kwh/day.  4 Mwh = 4000 kwh divided by 20/house = 200 houses.

Pretty small town, but there are some that size, especially way up north.

SSS, a little anal, maybe you are in the right job...  :-D
There are actually a lot of small towns all over the country with less than 200 houses.  In the flat lands there are towns with 12 people and a grain elevator... OK seasonal power requirements may be higher...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:12:50 AM »
Stainless:

I graduated with a liberal arts degree from an engineering college.  I may be the only guy you know that took "elective" courses like engineering physics, mathematical astronomy, math through diff. eq., etc. 

Being "anal" was taught in a 200-level course at Tech.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tortoise

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 11:09:48 AM »

A megawatt is an instantaneous measurement.  Ergo the statement should read:  "... almost enough to power a small town."
Also delete the "of energy", and we're OK. "Four megawatts of energy" is like "four miles per hour of distance".

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 11:41:46 AM »
The project certainly shows promise. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »
Stainless:

I graduated with a liberal arts degree from an engineering college.  I may be the only guy you know that took "elective" courses like engineering physics, mathematical astronomy, math through diff. eq., etc. 

I worked technical issues on antique airplanes for Boeing for over 25 years.... I thought I spotted some flaws in your BA.  Most of the guys I worked with took Anal 200 through 600.   :lol:  :roll:  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 12:13:55 PM »

[/quote]

I worked technical issues on antique airplanes for Boeing for over 25 years.... I thought I spotted some flaws in your BA.  Most of the guys I worked with took Anal 200 through 600.   :lol:  :roll:  :wink:
[/quote]

SSS, Stainless is the king, he should really understand being anal.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tortoise

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »
I see you're still active in anus-related work.

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 01:04:20 PM »
I showed my neighbor my BA, and they had me arrested.

Smitty

Offline JGMagoo

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 01:38:02 PM »
VOLUNTEER WANTED!

Must be willing to climb into tight, enclosed cockpit also containing steam boilers generating 4 megawatts of power on a 100-degree day in the desert.

Apply to:

British Steam Car Challenge......
Jolly Olde, England

JGMagoo
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »
Perhaps if they booked some time on a Dude Ranch in Colorado and further developed their Calf Roping skills they would have less trouble getting a driver.
The Panatonic driver from Japan is probably available.
Magoo may already have that lined up. :wink:

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »
Maybe the guy in small town house # 201 would be willing to drive.  With not enough power left to keep him warm he may welcome the change.