Author Topic: Approved gasoline in a 2 smoke?  (Read 10604 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

Approved gasoline in a 2 smoke?
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:27:55 PM »
So If i run for a record I have to use the official supplied gas -  correct?  and they seal your tank right?  So how do i deal with oil for the 2 stroke?  Does the oil also come from the supplier?  do i bring it in a factory sealed container?  I have a premix bike (no autooil).

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
Re: Approved gasoline in a 2 smoke?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
Hey Carl the rules say something about adding the pre-mix in front of the 'gas guy' and then they seal your tank.

but nothing about what kind of two stroke oil...good ?

Mark
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 03:58:56 PM »
I'll take a shot in the dark here, Carl -- and sorta borrow from the water injection thread going on over there. . .

I don't remember for sure if you have to get your oil tank filled and sealed by Rick Gold (or Les, or whomever is working just then) at the ERC trailer, so I can't comment there.  But I'd expect that if you brought your own oil -- you'd need to have a sealed bottle of oil (from the mfr.), open it while Rick is watching, and then either have him reseal it -- or plan on breaking open another next time you visit the fuel truck.

I'll ask Mark Amrhein what he had to do with his Cagiva 125 when he's been there, and I'll let you know if he's got the answer.

PS  The water injection story seems to be that you need to show up with an empty water tank and  sealed bottle of water, have the fuel truck guy watch you and then seal the tank, and if there's any water left -- you must drink it right then and there.  If you get all goofy -- he'll know that you were trying to cheat.

I don't know how he'd tell, in some cases, who's goofy 'cause of the drink, who's goofy 'cause it's natural.  Me, for instance.  good thing I drive a four-stroke.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 04:09:08 PM »
Hey Slim,
You don't answer your e-mail anymore eh? I'm thinking i'll just have a sealed container of oil -  and have the gas guy watch.  On the water injection -  how in the heck can you expect anyone to drink pure water -  yuck -  the only way it's palatable is with all of the high octane additives.  Do ya think caffeine would have the same effect on a bike motor as it has on human motors?

Carl
I'll take a shot in the dark here, Carl -- and sorta borrow from the water injection thread going on over there. . .

I don't remember for sure if you have to get your oil tank filled and sealed by Rick Gold (or Les, or whomever is working just then) at the ERC trailer, so I can't comment there.  But I'd expect that if you brought your own oil -- you'd need to have a sealed bottle of oil (from the mfr.), open it while Rick is watching, and then either have him reseal it -- or plan on breaking open another next time you visit the fuel truck.

I'll ask Mark Amrhein what he had to do with his Cagiva 125 when he's been there, and I'll let you know if he's got the answer.

PS  The water injection story seems to be that you need to show up with an empty water tank and  sealed bottle of water, have the fuel truck guy watch you and then seal the tank, and if there's any water left -- you must drink it right then and there.  If you get all goofy -- he'll know that you were trying to cheat.

I don't know how he'd tell, in some cases, who's goofy 'cause of the drink, who's goofy 'cause it's natural.  Me, for instance.  good thing I drive a four-stroke.
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 04:29:31 PM »
Simply stated, you have to ask yourself and read the book to tell that anything you put through the motor in a gas class is required to go through the same procedure.
TRY IT :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 04:32:12 PM »
I was just going to answer your questions -- but now that you've teased me in public -- I'll wait 'til tomorrow for that.  Gotta go get the cat from the vet -- we had the kitty get a shave today, and the vet closes in a half-hour.

As for the sealed container of oil -- either you'll want to use 100% of the contents of that sealed container -- or have him re-seal it for later use, or open yet another brand new jug of oil when you're at the fuel truck again.

As for pure water -- Carl, you oughta know by now that I don't drink that high-octane stuff any more - water works just fine.  Maybe some Powerade powder, maybe a little ice.  That's enough.  Caffeine -- well, coffee's okay.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 04:50:42 PM »
really?  is that true?  So you have to buy your nitrous from the guy at the fuel truck?  does he stock approved 2 stroke oil?
Carl Johansson
Simply stated, you have to ask yourself and read the book to tell that anything you put through the motor in a gas class is required to go through the same procedure.
TRY IT :roll:
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 04:58:27 PM »
Further reading will tell  you that NOS is only allowed in a fuel class and you have to pay the tech guy a corking charge if you don't buy it from him.
Medical grade without the sulphur is available from one of the MC tech guys.
Or so I am advised.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:26:07 PM »
we had the kitty get a shave today
REAL Bonneville racers shave their own cat. You can just say the scars are from racing. :roll:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 10:30:39 PM »
we had the kitty get a shave today
REAL Bonneville racers shave their own cat. You can just say the scars are from racing. :roll:
Some topics you just have to learn to stay away from. :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline JGMagoo

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 05:21:52 PM »
Years and years ago (maybe 50 - ?) one of the motorcycle magazines did a comparison test where they put a 2-stroke bike engine on a dyno and tried all different brands of oil to see which made the most horsepower.

There was the usual controversy because one brand definitely made considerably more horsepower than all the rest. (Wracking my brain I can't remember the name of that brand!)

I believe in the end they discovered nitro or something in that particular brand of oil!  Possibly put in as a 'ringer' for the test or maybe it was 'standard formula for that brand, I don't know. But it was a hot topic of conversation among the dirt bike racers and go-karters at the time.

JGMagoo
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 05:30:48 PM »
As I recall the stuff was called Klotz. 8-) I think that it was castor oil and their own magic additives. :evil:

Regards to All, :-D
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 07:31:33 PM »
I asked Tom Evans about El Mirage procedures and he said to bring a gas sample without oil and with oil and he would test it before hand and note the difference with and without the oil.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 07:40:54 PM »
The Klotz I ran back in the 70's was synthetic I'm pretty sure. As I remember it was the first of it's kind back then but it was not castor based. The bike ran good but after 6 desert races I had to put crank bearings in it so I wasn't very pleased.. :cry:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »
The Klotz I ran back in the 70's was synthetic I'm pretty sure. As I remember it was the first of it's kind back then but it was not castor based. The bike ran good but after 6 desert races I had to put crank bearings in it so I wasn't very pleased.. :cry:

If it lasted 6 Bonneville events that would be a long time. :lol: We just hope our motors make it most of the week. :roll:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20