Author Topic: Two Questions: Perforfance Parts & Class  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
Two Questions: Perforfance Parts & Class
« on: April 01, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »
 :? The first question is: Where in the world can I find performance parts for a 1520cc Honda Goldwing engine? I plan to turbosupercharge so am really concerned about the bottom end being capable of handling the boost.  :|
The second question is: What class would a 1520cc be in? Since there isn't a 1500 class I think it might be in the 1650cc Class. :roll: Then, I intend to compound the performance and class by putting the engine in a sidecar streamliner.  :-D

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

landracing

Re: Two Questions: Perforfance Parts & Class
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 12:59:04 PM »
Well let me first say you picked your own there.

Simple answer for parts is make them. I doubt you are going to find anybody making performance parts for a Goldwing except for chrome parts, may some jet kits and appearance stuff. etc etc. As for up date able engine stuff you are going to have to do it yourself.

As for boosting the engine. How much boost you planning on running? If I remember right those Goldwings didn't have alot of compression anyways. Build a plenum and put a turbo on it I think 12-15 lbs of boost with proper fuel and you would be fine. Bottom ends would surprise you on how well they are made.

Kenny Lyons from Utah has turbocharged alot of those goldwings. However I would not follow in workmanship methods. You could take the "IDEAS" and make them into something nice.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Two Questions: Performance Parts & Class
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 01:33:05 PM »
Pistons, studs, and rods will be the weak links and all are available.
John Noonan from J+E pistons can direct you to whatever it is you need from suppliers that have a very good reputation.
He is one of the advertisers here and is glad to help. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Two Questions: Perforfance Parts & Class
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:53:44 PM »
Very few people hotrod a Wing but you can find some performance stuff for the Valkyrie, http://www.xtremerevolution.com/Store/Valkyrie.aspx 
They use the same motor and you should be able to safely build a motor that can handle 10 psi without spending a fortune.

Depending on what class you want to enter I would suggest considering another big bore motorcycle motor, like the new ZX14 or the LSR proven Hayabusa motor. Both these motors are designed to produce high HP, have a huge amount of aftermarket performance items available and vast amounts of technical knowledge regarding what it takes to safely make high HP (up to an unreal 700+ hp on a 1300cc busa).

On the other hand I would be the first to say that the Valk-Wing motor could be a really cool project. Your bottom end should be OK with no more than 15 psi. I do recommend running the Honda S2000 car injectors (I believe they are a direct replacement for the wing), good hardware on the bottom, water injection, an intercooler or both. If you run turbo pistons you may be able to run more boost but I would be careful. Also see if you can find someone to do a cam regrind for boost on a Valk, without a cam you will not be getting the full benefits of the blower.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:56:20 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)