Author Topic: M/T Tires avalible  (Read 10654 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: M/T Tires avalible
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 02:25:23 PM »
Dear Land Speed Community,

I'm so happy over your giddiness about the availability of MT tires. So no complaining when the gas price is $3.50 per gallon to Bonneville this summer. Corporate lawyers get about 50 cents on the dollar of that gas money - and those land speed tires. Enjoy your corporate buggery!

Offline RICK

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 03:28:32 PM »
New Simpson 6-way cam-lock harness, $249.99
New Simpson Diamondback helmet, $554.99
New tires that will hold the load of the weight/ballast needed to be added to give me traction to go over 200,,,,,,,,PRICELESS

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 07:42:37 PM »
If you don't think land speed racers are serious, I heard there are over 600 tires on order. And there's still two weeks left in April.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 08:47:20 PM »
If you don't think land speed racers are serious, I heard there are over 600 tires on order. And there's still two weeks left in April.

Dean,

I wonder how many of those 600 tires you speak of will be hoarded. I have it from a very credible source one person wants 50. Lets see 50 x $750= $37,500.

But on the other hand there are some people who have spent over $1 million on their car and racing, so to them it is just pocket change.

The old saying holds true again. Speed costs money how fast do you want to go?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 09:01:43 PM »

I wonder how many of those 600 tires you speak of will be hoarded. I have it from a very credible source one person wants 50. Lets see 50 x $750= $37,500.
[/quote]

The more people that buy (hoard) the more "demand" for the supplier. Just as long as they build 'em.
With half a dozen people building LSR cars for the unlimited record 50 might not be out of the question. Dunlap built about that many for Donald Campbell's LSR attempt. 
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Freud

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 10:38:20 PM »
So you have spent more than 5 years building a LSR 'liner and an opportunity to buy some extra tires comes up. Are you going to buy enough tires to make some serious runs or are you going to buy 2 sets and limit how much you can run the car? The way I see it is that a car w/o tires is a door stop.
If the builder has enough cash to buy 100 tires, uses only 60 of them and 4 years from now sells you a set for more than you could have purchased them now, is he a hoarder or are you a person without insight?
As long as there are tires available for you if you order now......no whining if you don't.
Some people can afford to race and others can't.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 10:49:44 PM »
As I remember, the English diesel 'liner had 30 sets of tires with them last year. All mounted on NEW wheels, spun, balanced and waiting in wooden crates.
They were hoarders of the first magnitude........except they ran to establish a record that brought to the attention of the manufacturer that they needed BETTER tires.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline RichFox

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
If you are a hoarder I applaud you. As many as are ordered will be built, so no one is hurt by an order made by someone else. And if lots of tires are sold, perhaps more will be made in the future. If 20 were sold how long do you think it would be before more came down the pipeline?

Offline desotoman

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 01:14:35 AM »
Wake up call!!!!!!! :-o :-o :-o :evil: :evil: :evil:

Who says all that are ordered will be filled?

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 02:06:01 PM »
I can't speak for Tom, but I think what he is alluding to is the question of how the tires will be doled out.  I don't think any of us want to deny another racer of however many tires they might want, it is a question of how many they need before each and all of those ordering tires get at least one set.  Sure, it is easy to say first come first served, but some of us have to scrape up the money before we order.  I personally have no qualms with a four wheel drive streamliner receiving say eight tires our of a twenty tire order, but lets let everyone get at least one set before we store all our nuts.  The question arises, how many tires can be built between now and Speedweek?  When I talked to Tom K. at M/T three weeks ago, he stated their intention was to ship all orders by Speedweek, but I don't think they thought the response to orders would be this large.  Remember, we are all in this together.........Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 03:32:30 PM »
I have a couple questions???

Are the Goodyear landspeed tires still in supply??

For cars under 300 mph why would I want the M/T's over the Goodyears???

Do they have more weight handling capacity over the Goodyears for heavier cars?

Are they just better??

I can see the 30 inch tires since some guys need a large diameter tire for gearing.

Anyway?????

c ya,

Sum

Offline kiwi

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 04:50:55 PM »
Wake up call!!!!!!! :-o :-o :-o :evil: :evil: :evil:

Who says all that are ordered will be filled?

Tom G.

Surely they will want to make as many tyres as possible, to make it more economic for them to set up the production line again. The only reason I could think of for not forfulling orders would be if they were making a loss on each tyre and therfore wouldn't want to make many. But if that was the case why would they be making any?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007, 04:56:10 PM »
Why make tires at a loss? The same reason your favorite store tosses out a loss leader that brings you in to buy other things. What they lose on one thing they more than make up for in the long run. Even if this is a money losing effort, look at the advertising!

Why buy M/T over Goodyear? Looks like a bunch planning on running over 300!!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 05:23:48 PM »
Sum, my opinion is twofold.  The M/T has no tread for salt to adhere to, and the slightly wider tread patch should help the higher horsepower cars  get a better grip towards the top end.  One more thing, gearing becomes less of a issue for non quick change cars running a 1 to 1 high gear.  JMO..........
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »
Racergo, My opinion on the tire pricing is just a hunch really.  I think that M/T and Specialty Tires of America probably are co-insured on this venture, and the policy is no doubt very pricey.  If you realize that liability issues are what stopped the production and sale of these tires four years ago, it sort of makes sense.  Once again, jmo.....................Bob
Bob Drury