Author Topic: M/T Tires avalible  (Read 10653 times)

Offline ack

M/T Tires avalible
« on: March 26, 2007, 09:19:25 PM »
I got a call from M/T today they are building all 3 Bonneville tires and are taking orders. The person in charge of taking orders is Tom Kundrik I think Carol C would also know.  We have placed our order with them.  If you need high speed tires now is the time to order.  They said they will be issuing a press release soon. 

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
Re: M/T Tires avalible
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 12:50:17 AM »
WOW, that is really great news. One thing I will say about new tires, be very careful about break-in. Spend some time working up to speed. Can't say for sure that MT tires need break in but when we ran Goodyears, we were at around 310 mph. Those were the days that required 3 runs for a record. We lost a tire and had to replace one. On the down run, we ran 312 (on a fresh tire). There were twelve 50 cent sized holes that the rubber had chucked. Al Teague looked at it and said "no problem, just trim them up so there are no ragged edges". We did that and made the return run. The point is that the same tires ran fine at a given speed after being "conditioned" but a new tire had problems. People have talked about putting the tires on a street car and just driving around for a while to "work " them in. Don't know if that is really good, bad, or indifferent. One thing that I do know, in 1980, when we were first trying to figure out something about this Land Speed Racing deal, I developed a program that could determine the rolling resistance of the tires. So the idea was to mount the  MT's on my Z-28 Camaro. We put 90 pounds of air in the tires. Ran the car up to 100 mph, kicked into neutral, and let it coast down. At that point, I became really amazed at the value of a pneumaticic tire for a suspension item. I thought the car was going to kill itself from the vibration and the small imperfections in the road. The end to this story is that when Ed and I were driving back down to the service station to take the tires off, I met a car that flashed its lights at us. Now we live in a very rural area, the town has less than 200 people. I asked Ed if he knew who that person was and he said "not a clue". my thoughts were that -it's my car, I'm driving-Im screwed. At that time, Washington had instituted a random saftey stop regime. I said to Ed, sorry we are going on a different road. I turned around and avoided the bottleneck which turned out to be a safety inspection. I can just imagine the cops calling out to all others-" hey look at these tires, they say for expirimental use only- not for highway use. What size do you think the ticket would have been?

Offline racergeo

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 01:25:59 AM »
what might those 3 sizes be?

Offline Xea

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:58:50 PM »
Mr Ack, what speed rating are they?
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline ack

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »
The available sizes are:

24.5 X 7.5 X 16     P/N 0334060   Estimated Speed Rating 375+MPH
26.5 X 9.0 X 18     P/N 033057     Estimated Speed Rating 475+MPH
30.0 X 9.0 X 18     P/N 033011     Estimated Speed Rating 590+MPH

The 24.5 X 7.5 X 16 are used by the Burklands and Don Vesco and have been proven to 460 MPH and made numerous runs over 400 MPH without failure.  The failure Don had when setting the world record in the Turbinator I understand was caused by the turbine blades failing and cutting the tire.

They are making them to fill existing firm orders and may never make them again so if you are going to need tires that will run at high speed I would order them now.

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 02:44:31 PM »
Is there a phone number or email address for Tom?

Thanks

Dave

Offline ack

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 03:15:05 PM »

Offline BAKERSFIELD BOYS

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 03:37:21 PM »
WILL I HAVE TO SELL THE RACE CAR TO AFFORD THE TIRES :?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 08:47:23 PM »
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 08:52:30 PM by Dean Los Angeles »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 07:49:16 PM »
I have called the number given and left my info and needs with no reply or response. Anyone out there got an idea what the delay may be? Are they maybe taking pre-orders to estimate the number needed to run? Gotta have a set for the new ride and will stand on a corner with a sign to get the funding if needed!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 08:52:33 PM »
Tom K. is gone until Tuesday.  Sort of funny, I talked to him Monday, he was going to send me a fax later that day, but instead dropped out of sight with no message left on his machine.  The only reason I know he is gone is because the operator told me.  Carol does not answer her messages either.  Go figure.....................
Bob Drury

landracing

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 09:09:20 PM »
We finally have some tires coming available, now is not the time to cry about the price...

we all did enough crying when there were no tires available...

Jon

RogerL

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 12:53:07 AM »
Well said Jon. It was just a few months ago some of us were sweating bullets over the tire situation. Lets be thankful that our friends at MT have stepped up...again. I have ordered four sets for my 'liner.

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 01:23:55 AM »
What a gorgeous speed for that 30 inch tire.
Builders, let your imagination, and vehicles, run fast.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 01:23:09 PM »
No crying here Jon, just desperation to get the funds together to get a set. Price is not the issue, having these tires available again is what I have been hoping for, years of hope have come to fruition!!
They are the answer for my goals with the new car and one way or the other I will have at least one set if not two. I agree, no crying, just cheers!!