Author Topic: rule question  (Read 5358 times)

Offline stimie

• New folks
rule question
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:39:51 PM »
i am building a belly tanker i have not got my rule book yet i need to know what class i will be in. running a ford 300 straight six or a 240 straight six

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: rule question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 05:22:27 PM »
Lakester = L
Gas = G
Fuel = F
Blown = B
D 261 thru 305 cubic inches
E 184 thru 260 cubic inches

D-GL     No Nitro Hammond     M. Dawson     ' 97     254.685
E-GL    Kelly & Hall Racing    Jack Kelly    10/04    236.431

D-FL     Seth Hammond     T. Hammond     ' 97     263.062
E-FL    Seth Hammond    S. Hammond    ' 91    253.776

D-BGL     No Nitro Hammond     T. Hammond     ' 02     304.516
E-BGL    No Nitro Hammond    T. Hammond    ' 01    299.701

D-BFL     Seth Hammond     S. Hammond     10/03     304.198
E-BFL    Seth Hammond    J. Pflum    ' 02    302.179
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 05:26:34 PM »
i am building a belly tanker i have not got my rule book yet i need to know what class i will be in. running a ford 300 straight six or a 240 straight six

The 300 would be a D motor ( 261 thru 305 cid) and would run with any other motor that falls in the same displacement.

The 240 would be a E motor ( 184 thru 260 cid).

If you ran gas and were un-blown you would be either D/GL or E/GL.

Have fun with it and visit my site for links to others that have built lakesters or who are building them.

c ya,

Sum

P.S. Looks like I was late with my answer :oops: :oops:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 06:16:58 PM »
4 minutes late with a second answer beats no answer. That's what is great about posting here. There are a lot that would like to run LSR that don't have access to answers or rule books.

For those of you that are dying for a rule book, the DLRA follows SCTA rules for the most part. Their rule book is available online. Even if it isn't the same as an SCTA rule book, it is good reading.
http://www.dlra.org.au/docs/dlrarules.pdf

This is what you want:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 06:28:41 PM »
When did they make the 240 engine? If it's pre '61 (I think) it would be in X/GL or X/FL.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 06:39:01 PM »
Don't know the exact year, but early 70's.  The 240 is just a short stroke 300, which was a 4" bore with a really stout bottom end.  A number of these motors have been pretty successful in drag racing, even these days.
There are even some cross flow heads with decent ports floating around somewhere.  Don't ask, I don't know.
It might make a really interesting E motor.

Rick
Rick

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Rich,

Van I bought new in '71 had a 240, no major mechanical problems in 150,000 miles or so.  Frame [such as it was] and body finished rotting out from the salt trips of '71 and '72 + road salt by '78.

Took a 240 out of a used 3/4 ton pickup [don't remember the year of mfg. or org. mileage] in '69 and put it in a '63 Falcon Ranchero.  Ran that 25,000 or so no major mechanical problems through '74 or so.

As a daily driver I thought they all the torque plus a little that the 302 8's had back then.  Always wondered how one would go with a turbo.

I thought a Packard man would have ALL the good prime movers covered :wink:

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »

In case someone is thinking of. running one of these in something other than production or special construction: 

Despite what some of the magazines of the day said, it was NOT a bolt in swap into the Falcon.  If anyone is interested PM me and I will tell you what I found and what worked for me as best as I remember. 

Ed Purinton

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 10:03:16 PM »
When did they make the 240 engine? If it's pre '61 (I think) it would be in X/GL or X/FL.

Good thought RF, I didn't think of that.  I did a quick google on it and found this:

1961 brought a complete redesign. The F-Series went back to single headlights and the trucks were lower and wider than before. Flareside and Styleside boxes continued to be available, and the Stylesides had a one-piece cab and box for a smoother look.

Yearly grille changes again took place, and in 1965 three new engines debuted: 240- and 300-c.i. inline sixes, with 150 and 170 horsepower, respectively, and a 352-c.i. V8 with 208 horses.

I know nothing about Ford 6's, so don't know if that is correct or not and it was in a section talking about the F-Series pickups, so I don't know what the cars had.

c ya,

Sum

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 09:54:50 AM »
     Have been checking around and near as I can find Ford had the old 223 six available in the Galaxie up until '63.  No listing of a six in '64 [for Galaxies], the 240 available '65 to '71 Galaxies, haven't found any 300 availability documented for cars yet. 

Truck info matched Sum's findings of earliest 240 being '65.  240 available '65 to '74 and 300 available '65 to '93.

Buddy's in fleet maintenance said they were reliable with only an occasional cracked stock piston skirt as a possible weak point.

Always had an interest in this series engine,  any corrections/additions would be welcome.  Any Export/Global      head variations out there like the 170-250 six has?

Rich:  Maybe not vintage but with your DIY talents would still make an interesting post Packard project.  Have been following that, best of luck with it.

Stimie:  Best of luck on your project and keep us posted. 

Its the variety that keeps LSR so interesting.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »
In '65 or so the airline was getting new 727s They wanted a baggage tug that could drive under the airplane. So the plant maintenance guys built a real low-rider tug. It had a 200 inch Ford six in it as I remember. Then somebody else made bunches of them and I guess UAL got a piece of the action. But the thing was that some of the 200 inch Fords had 4 mains and some had 7. Pretty odd I thought.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 11:59:22 AM »
Long run industrial motors for generators and pumps for example were a different casting.
There ya go.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"