Author Topic: Rumor concerning roll cage....is it true?  (Read 12600 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Rumor concerning roll cage....is it true?
« on: March 21, 2007, 11:58:14 PM »
I just spent a butt load of money on a trick 8 point 1-5/8" cage. We are going to run gas and fuel this year to do some testing but fully expect this car to be in the 200 range with the blower in 08.

Today, I heard from what I feel is a fairly credible source that all cars in 08 that are 200+ will have to have a 1-3/4" cage. I will have to admit that I will be on the chip if this is true, after all I had the cage over built for the H and mph in the class. It would of not cost me anymore to build the cage at 1.75.

So are these just rumors or am I justified in having hot-nuts.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Freud

Re: Rumor concerning roll cage....is it true?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 12:12:14 AM »
Hot nuts could also be because of "Salt Infection."
Everyone in my family needs a bigger tube.
Get the job done this year and retire before your gage needs to be bigger.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 12:40:42 AM »
So does this "CREDIBLE SOURCE" suggest that all the cars that comply now will have to change ?
Can SCTA have a split standard for cars running the same speed with respect to safety ?
You might want to ask.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:31:21 AM »
Does "the source" have access to the pending rules suggestions? If so, have "the source" forward this info to Lee Kennedy. Lee may want to be able to add this item to his agenda. Me too.

DW

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 09:58:02 AM »
I am only about an hour from going to France/ Spain for 1.5 weeks.
My father may be posting under my name during that time?.he is much more civilized than I and far less outspoken. He has the same (more) knowledge about this as I do so I will try and talk him into relaying the info we were told?..that is if he does not think you have to hand crank start the computer to get it to run?..JK pops!!!
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 11:35:38 PM »
Hey Y'all,

I hope that this is a rumor that can be debunked easily - too many he said, they said, we said, kinda deals abound anyway. The rulebook is a better source of info methinks.  :?

Regards to All,
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 12:52:22 AM »
Rumors are just that, Rumors!  If this was the case a lot of cars will be outdated very quickly.  The rule book is their for this reason. 
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 12:30:27 PM »
Most people don't even have the 2007 rule book, much less worry about 2008. The rules are changed for a reason, and if that makes life difficult you just have to go with the flow.

The 2008 rules don't exist anywhere. They aren't even a figment of imagination. There are certainly conversations being held on an informal basis all the time. They show up here on a daily basis. They don't become anything until the last race of the year in November at El Mirage. Nobody wants to even think about it until the current rule book is done. After the last race then you can turn in a proposed rule change. Any SCTA member can do that. The SCTA board looks over the proposed rules, considers the validity and wording and submits them to the clubs in December. The clubs vote, the results go back to SCTA, and the ones that pass become new rules in January.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

dwarner

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 12:57:14 PM »
Pretty good Dean.

Actually, the rule change submission cutoff date is 10/15/07.

DW

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 01:03:51 PM »
Hey Johnny,
I don't know anything about supposed rule changes.  But I will tell you that when I was building a cage -  we were struck how different SCTA rules were as compared to most other racing organizations. 
For instance 1 3/4 inch tubing was the minimum almost across the board -  but most allowed for .090 tubing.
chrommoly tubing is becoming a nono -because of what heat does to it during welding.

What do I know -  I just built it using 1 3/4  .120 figuring I had all the minimums covered!

Carl johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 01:18:48 PM »
Carl (you got the minimums well covered) Johansson, good thinking!
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 02:03:26 PM »
Unless you want to give birth to an SCTA periodic certification program and only welded by a certifies welder to SFI spec, you might want to stay away from 4130.
Another thing is SCTA vehicles crash different.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 11:12:22 PM »
[quote author=Carl Johansson l
chrommoly tubing is becoming a nono -because of what heat does to it during weld

Carl johansson
[/quote Don't know what pases FAA now but in old days local cert welder was in demand for welding 4130 - only thing that would pass was acelyene -torch welds- would think by now tig would go-do I hear Jack comming??
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 02:07:34 AM »
In Europe it is common practice to braze weld their equivalent to 4130.
Often overlooked, even with a beautiful laid down TIG weld on 4130 is the backside of the material .
If it is exposed to oxygen in the back and not the protective cloud of the appropriate weld gas or flux, it will oxidize and cut the joint strength substantially.
The gusset ruling in SCTA was as the result of a cage that was replaced on the shoulder hoop of a 4130 car and it punched through the top rail when the car went on it's top and the entire assembly came off intact.   

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 03:11:40 AM »
In Europe it is common practice to braze weld their equivalent to 4130.   

It is my memory that the 4130 was not brazed ;but torch welded w/ 4130 rod- theory was that the even heating from flame + a post weld annealing in weld area;reduced the chance of a quench line-avoiding a hard& brittle spot that would be prone to breakage next to weld. I suppose tig would be a more localized heat to cause the brittle line/vs torch??
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.