Author Topic: Bonneville - El Mirage News  (Read 10009 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Bonneville - El Mirage News
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 02:14:10 PM »
The old policy was to run till the sun went over the hill going into Wendover. We did it for many years. Had fewer vehicles etc and only one course at that time. Things have changed a lot as most know. The other thing is getting everyone out of the pits before it's to dark to find there way off the salt and yes it happens every year. The other and main problem if there is a incident late into the day having good light to work by is very important.
The guys stay in impound until the last vehicle that may have qualified has been checked. Everyone else is shutting down their area, the timing people are completing the days paper work and dis-connecting the photo cell batteries  and sweeping the course at the same time.

So it's a long day and in most days it's dinner time at around 10:00 pm. We are back on the salt to set up for the days runs and watch the sun rise. :-o
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »
With a higher demand, the window of time has become less.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 10:17:51 PM »
Glen and Jack are both correct about the evenings on the salt. There are several considerations to take into account re a shut down time.

A time frame of "the sun is behind the mountain" does not figure a person's view of exactly when the sun is down. If you are next to run the sun is not down until you can no longer see it. I remember fondly the evening we had to chase Bob Dalton into the mud. He drove his streamliner about 9 miles back to the pits using the headlights of those who remained.

Then it was back to town to do results, in the old days, usually until 1 or 2 AM. Then back to the salt to begin again at 6.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 11:21:42 PM »
Dan, you (and most everyone else) were young then.  Us old guys need our sleep.  What we need is a new crop of young volunteers and SCTA members to run till dark.  Yep, I know the difference between sundown and dark, been that last car, got back to the impound at almost dark, was really dark by the time we left.  Back in time to see sunrise.  The guys running the meet were there after we left and before we got back. 
We just plan to run till the week ends or the motor parts find their way out....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »
You know..... it's not called Bonneville Speed Weekend (or Bonneville Paint Job Week either for that matter, but that's another story)... it's Speed-WEEK.  If you want to get more runs, just plan on staying for the full week.  By Wednesday, Thursday at the latest, you'll be making laps and your biggest problem will be cooling the thing down between runs.  After Tuesday or so Speedweek begins to feel like a hot World Finals.

It's even possible to get hotel rooms starting Monday/Tuesday.

Sometimes I think I shouldn't even show up until Monday morning... but then I'd miss all the fun of the weekend spectacle of thousands of people, hundreds of cool hot rods, etc.

And I'm not in favor of run till the sun sets.  Like they've said... If there's an accident or something on that last run it'd be no fun and possibly worse. 

Come to think of it though, if we could just get the BLM (BNI, SCTA, whatever) to let us set up temporary housing in Impound, guys like Warner wouldn't have to make that looonnnggg commute back to Wendover every night.  Give 'em a case of Jack, couple of sub sandwiches, and a blow up doll or two and....

2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 12:50:08 PM »
You know..... it's not called Bonneville Speed Weekend (or Bonneville Paint Job Week either for that matter, but that's another story)... it's Speed-WEEK.  If you want to get more runs, just plan on staying for the full week.  By Wednesday, Thursday at the latest, you'll be making laps and your biggest problem will be cooling the thing down between runs.  After Tuesday or so Speedweek begins to feel like a hot World Finals...........

Very well said.  We got in 9 runs last year and left Thursday evening, so could have gotten in a couple more on Friday.  If you are running the car/bike hard 7-9 runs is a lot of runs and a lot of time to hurt something.

I don't see how we could ask any more out the the guys and gals that put this on.  I'm always beat and I'm not out there as long as they are.

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »
The fastest vehicles favored trial running late in the day.
The complexion of the event has changed to the point they will run at another date and are likely gone from Speedweek forever.
Who can forget the excitement of the early morning 2 way record runs with so much drama packed into a couple of hours ?
Even the dreaded FIA/FIM attempts were accommodated within the schedule.
What a way to start a day!!!
Well, I guess a lot of you have missed it and that is too bad.
If you don't know what you are missing, you will grow to expect less, and it seems you have.  :-(
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline desotoman

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 06:01:20 PM »
The one thing in the world that is constant is change.   :lol:

It will be interesting this year to see how Bonneville plays out. We are at Mother natures mercy, which precedes the best laid plans of men.  :|

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »
"The gross has gone up and the net has gone down." :-(

Offline Freud

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 11:26:20 PM »
Down and back runs in the morning after qualifying the day before were tense. Besides
requiring 3 passes instead of just two, those two runs back to back were killers. The air
could make major changes between the first and second run.
A lot of work was done after the first run and it's difficult to hold your breath until
you make that return run. On some HUGE days record runs weren't over
until after noon.
It's difficult now but it was torture then.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 11:42:33 PM »
Golden Eagles if the fast guy let you run and teardown first.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 11:34:57 AM »
It happened to me, and I am forever grateful.

The day I set my first record at Bonneville in 1973.................Instead, I offered for the other guy the opportunity to go first, and have the same opportunity given to me in 1973.  I knew that if I went first, I could probably limp through for the record if I fouled a plug or something, and that he would follow and take my 3-minute record away.  Let him run first, and I might never have that Bonneville Record certificate on my wall.   

We both had a lot of fun.

I'm not a religious person, but Sunday school was required when I was a kid.  I don't remember much except for one thing that has always stuck with me.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", or something close to that.

Looks like it worked pretty good for you   :-) and I've had pretty good luck with it also,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
Scott, I've seen quite a few get in the 200 mph club by having the opportunity to go first. But as luck has it the only entry getting the certificate today is the one who holds the record at the end of the week. Some break their own record 2 or 3 times during the week and still only get one. Same for the red tag and I think for the trophy, not sure on that one.
That's one of the reasons guys are here on Saturday...Set then early and often...Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro