Author Topic: Quick Release Steering wheel  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

Quick Release Steering wheel
« on: March 20, 2007, 06:01:52 PM »
So with dancing around the roll cage and the seat extensions to fit into the car -  I have come to the conclusion that I need a quick release steering wheel. Looks like I can get 2 types -  both of the adapters weld on to the steering column -  one is released by pulling a pin -  the other is released by pushing in a button.  i think I favor the button release, one less thing to get lost -  and a simpler operation in case of emergency egress.

So am I ok in the GT class by using a push in quick release steering wheel hub?

Also SSS wants to know where he can find a set of quick release handlebars for his MC!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Quick Release Steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »
Carl
You can use the quick release, just make sure it's not the plastic release type. Think there  is a bolt on hub type. Look in Summet or one of the chassis mfgs. catalogs.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:31:54 PM »
Quick! Release Steering Wheel! That's what you do when things get wild. :evil:
Also SSS wants to know where he can find a set of quick release handlebars for his MC!
The typical quick release hub has a 6 bolt pattern. Weld the handle bar to a 6 bolt hub and bolt it to the quick release.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 08:17:31 PM »
never seen a 6 bolt Q/R all the ones i have are 3 bolt. the cheapest one's i found are at speedway if you don't mind purple. don't get the fine spline get, the 6 sided coupling. had the fine spline once and was always jacking around trying to get it on straight....made quite a few passes with the wheel off a notch....switching to hex spline...priceless
kent

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:40:05 PM »
Carl,

I have used both the type with the PIP pin release and the push button type. With fire gloves on the push button type are much easier to use. There is also the sliding collar type where you pull the collar toward you that is also easy to use.

Tom

Offline GH

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 09:19:45 AM »
I use the hex adapter, painted a red dot on the two pieces so the steering wheel will always be in the same position, I have two switches on the steering wheel and I like them in the same location all the time. Just my 2 cents.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:50:07 AM »
Carl,

This might be a purchase to make in person checking the fit before you buy.  When buying one for my buddy's Lakester we found variations in the amount of slop between the male and female parts with all styles.  We didn't keep notes during the search so won't make any specific recommendations pro or con on any brands or styles other than stay away from plastic parts, they WILL melt and jam in a fire situation.  We didn't find any relationship between increased price and better fit.

Wanting a good solid feel on the steering, we looked until we found one that works free  and smooth with no slop, a hex with collar release.

Ed Purinton

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 01:26:46 PM »
absolutely use the one with the sliding collar... the pin type sucks with multi layer fire gloves.
kent