Author Topic: Motorcycle Wheels  (Read 10547 times)

Offline drp123

• New folks
Motorcycle Wheels
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:51:37 PM »
I am a LSR newbie, but have been into fast bikes and drag racing all my life. I'll start with an easy question. I am looking into buying front and rear 17" RC Components RC Comp wheels. These are aluminum and available in 3 spoke and 5 spoke patterns (spokes are billet). Unlike some other wheels the spokes bolt to the outer rim instead of being a forged and machined billet. Is there any rule problems running these wheels?  Along those same lines, what treaded DOT tires are some of you running on your Busa's?
I am building a 750cc Honda, and just want to have the best components in case it decides to go fast.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Motorcycle Wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:25:43 PM »
My RC wheels lost air in them in 2002, switched to either PM or OEM and never had an issue like that again, all the rims had steel stems and caps on them.

I have used OEM tires for the Busa and also 208's

Good luck with whatever you choose.

J

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:29:05 PM »
man i have seen a LOT of toco'ed RC wheels at drag races stay away!! i use bolt together PMFR wheels on my 750 and never had a problem... the same for PM wheels. use stock rims and save your $ for hotel rooms and dinner buffets
kent

Offline drp123

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:02:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I would use the stock wheels, but the rear is a 15" and has a drum brake. The front is a 17" but a heavy casting. I am building a 1996 Honda V4 Magna to run in the modified fuel un-streamlined class. The chassis is well suited for drag racing and high speed, and I have been known to make V4 Honda's run pretty good. The LSR learning curve is interesting, and I want to show up with a safe and legal bike. I get the feeling that passing all the tech is a major hurdle.

John, I will be getting some pistons from you soon.

Dave Dodge
Dodge Racing Products
Carolina Cycle

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:07:33 AM »
dave, do you work with glenn allen?

Offline drp123

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:11:28 AM »
Yes, I work with Glenn. I have been doing catalogs, photography, and administrative work at Carolina Cycle for 12 years. I also have my own Honda V4 engine building and bike restoration business.

Dave Dodge
Dodge Racing Products
Carolina Cycle

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:51:14 AM »
ummmmmmm

oem = original equipment manufacture

pm = ??

thanks
Mark
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline drp123

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »
I always try to reduce the weight of rotating or unsprung components. As I read more, I see many are adding weight and using heavy OEM wheels. I figure I'll be pushing alot of air being un-streamlined, and thinking because I need 17" wheels anyway it would be wise to lighten anything that will suck HP. Maybe I could use the OEM front, and go with a PM (Performance Machine) solid rear. Hmm, the deeper I dig, the more questions I have. I think a road trip to Maxton at the end of the month is called for, so I can snoop.

Dave Dodge
Dodge Racing Products
Carolina Cycle

Offline RP

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 11:52:22 AM »
pm = Performance Machine

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 04:46:11 PM »
Dave, we say it over and over -- weight is GOOD in land speed racing -- maybe even more than good in running a naked bike.  You've gotta overcome aero resistance by putting horsepower to the ground to go fast, and in an unfaired class -- there's more aero drag than in a class with some bodywork in front of you.  I've run sorta fast on the naked bike -- and wheelspin DOES HAPPEN.  We've put lead on the rear of the bike and picked up 5-10 mph at around 190-210 (unfaired and faired).  Now I can't say whether the weight would do more or less good in the wheel itself -- that is sprung vs. unsprung weight -- but the couple of pounds difference from a factory wheel to a fancy carbon fiber wheel isn't going to be much in the grand scheme of things -- the scheme being that I've got 70# of lead on the bike now and plan to add more before the '07 Bonneville season.

If you're going to have something like 150++ horsepower you might think carefully before taking weight away.  Less than that -- maybe you won't have enough to spin up the wheel. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 06:13:08 PM »
A suspension package is designed to work best in a particular area of power, weight, speed , and surface conditions.
 It is quite a science in most applications.
LSR is all over the map with respect to power, package weight, aero, and surface conditions.
You are concerned with only making the suspension not bottom out and hammer your bite.
As the bike progresses up the speed ladder, traction is the final challenge.
It is often unsprung weight that would scare a road racer but is critical to an LSR bike.
You don't need 250 lbs. on a 125cc but you might on an 1125cc.
It is variable with your package and only you should call that shot.

A liner is particularly hard on a chain when you consider all the weight it is moving and running in still air with no cooling.
Run a cam chain or a primary without cooling and see how long it lasts.
Dave, you always had a steep learning curve and you will pick up what is best for you right away.
Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline drp123

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 07:52:29 PM »
This is starting to make more sense. So, in my frame design I will incorporate places to add ballast (if needed) and very adjustable spring rates for the suspension. I would assume most of the sportbikes running LSR are using soft suspension. I look at some of the other modifieds and special construction bikes and dont see the suspension. Because the suspension will have to be tuned for traction and conditions, I will need to make it infinitely tunable to start.

Dave Dodge
Dodge Racing Products
Carolina Cycle

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 01:22:31 AM »
Don't make it too tunable and spend all your time doing it.
Some of the fastest bikes are rigid with no rear suspension.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 01:57:43 AM »
Dave,

Call me when you get a chance and we can go over what you need..

You have my number.

Take care and go fast!!

J

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 12:39:42 PM »
interesting thread!

if wheel weight can be good, what about the shape of the 'spokes'?

an oem 17 inch mag push a lot more 'flat' than a three spoke GP wheel!

hmmmmmmm

Mark

more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com