Author Topic: Motorcycle Chain  (Read 5056 times)

Offline drp123

• New folks
Motorcycle Chain
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:29:25 AM »
Would running a lighter and smaller rear chain with aluminum rear sprocket be an advantage?  I would not be shocking it like a drag strip launch. I am fairly sure I can find a smaller chain with the same high tensile strength as 530. Any thoughts on using o-ring chain vs. non o-ring?  Your comments are welcomed. This is for a 750 modified fuel class bike with a estimated 200 HP.

Dave Dodge
Dodge Racing Products
Carolina Cycle

Offline Dakin Engineering

Re: Motorcycle Chain
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:23:50 AM »
I read O-rings eat a few HP. And you're going to replace it for next year, anyway. Personally, I like the "insurance" of a chain strength that well exceeds the motor.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline drp123

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 11:20:57 AM »
Thanks, I too was thinking an o-ring chain would not be the best. Plus the o-ring chains tend to be overly wide and heavy.

Dave Dodge
Dodge Racing Products
Carolina Cycle

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »
You can gain strength in a chain by having is cryoed. It is not very expensive (50$???) and from what I hear can significantly increase the tensile strength of a chain. If you cant find anyone that does cryogenic treatment, in the back of the 06 rule book look for a guy named Rick Yacoucci @ NW Cryogenics.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 12:07:08 PM »
And on a second note I personally don?t think you should favor a small HP gain by running a lighter chain. While it is true that in LSR you don?t have drag racing shock on the chain there is a huge amount of stress on the chain when you are at the wall. People don?t break chains at start but chains do break at speed. If you break a chain you will be lucky if it drops, unlucky if it raps around you countershaft and blows the case apart?..or really unlucky by having it become a whip around the rear.
While this is just my opinion:
Bigger chain = safer.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 02:27:16 PM »
drag race non o-ring chains fail horribly on a long pass. may be good for 10 seconds but on a 90second pass the link plates rubbing against themselves turn cherry red.  on my liner the destroyed chains turned purple when they cooled off. RK specs there 530DR as 10,400 lbs tensile strength and 5.12 lbs per 100 links. RK's GB530GXW is 10,000 lbs ts and 4.63 lbs per 100 links (1/2 lb lighter, and just a fraction weaker). We tossed the drag chains and switched to o-ring and you should to!
kent

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »
Kent,
  How much HP does it take to make a chain glow?
And thanks, the new one will be o-ring.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline drp123

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 06:45:36 PM »
Thanks again, all great input. I am a dealer for RK, so I will most likely go with the GXW. I have numerous engine parts cryo'd here locally, but never thought of doing a chain. I have done cams, rockers, and rods with good results. The NASCAR suppliers around here are big into coatings and treatments.

One chain - 100.00, one broken case - 1000.00, sharing your Salt Flat experiences - priceless. I do appreciate it.

Dave Dodge
Dodge Racing Products
Carolina Cycle

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 08:11:15 PM »
sam
750hp
kent

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 12:38:06 AM »
A non o-ring chain on our lakester, was hot enough on a 221 MPH long course run, to crack the side plates with only 230 HP. We have since used o-ring chains without any problems.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20