Author Topic: You gota love CNC  (Read 16675 times)

Offline Eric_Noyes

• http://www.geocities.com/buddfab/buddfab3
Re: You gota love CNC
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 12:03:18 PM »
Slide down and take a look at the video clips

http://www.prsco.com/hex2k.html#
http://www.prsco.com/rotopod.html

Offline aircap

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 12:51:37 PM »
tried air before- is this unit cold enough to keep al from sticking in end mills w/o solvent? --.with advent of the toothed roughers for al hasn't been quite the problem if I don't get in to big a hurry..russ
[/quote]

It will get cold enough to form heavy frost on the Loc-line tubing if the shop is humid. Won't work great on heavy cuts in gummy aluminum.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:56:40 PM by aircap »
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline aircap

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »
Slide down and take a look at the video clips

http://www.prsco.com/hex2k.html#
http://www.prsco.com/rotopod.html

I read that hexapod machines were being developed about 5 years ago, hadn't envisioned that they would be generating a Z-axis. (up & down for you non-machinist types). Wonder how rigid that system will be.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »
Speaking of Marlo, Desotos, and CNCing, Marlo found a faster way to do machine work, by having a FBI plane stick its spinning propellor thru the side of his Lamborghini while driving.  I believe the Lambo engine (complete with Desoto script on the valve covers) is intact, so if you need a spare, drop him a line.  How's that for comma's Slim?
Bob Drury

Offline tortoise

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 01:51:45 PM »
How's that for comma's Slim?
s/b commas,

Offline desotoman

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 02:06:01 PM »
Speaking of Marlo, Desotos, and CNCing, Marlo found a faster way to do machine work, by having a FBI plane stick its spinning propellor thru the side of his Lamborghini while driving. 

Bob,
  I am glad Marlo did not get hurt in that incident. Too close for comfort.
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 02:17:59 PM »

Tortoise, ah shit,...........................
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 08:20:41 AM »
Pretty good, Bob, although it would have been better if you had substituted an ellipsis for the fourth comma.  And Tortoise already got you on the apostrophe, so I needn't do anything.  Thanks for asking -- and thanks for trying.  You get an A- for the post.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 12:21:43 PM »
Pretty good, Bob, although it would have been better if you had substituted an ellipsis for the fourth comma.  And Tortoise already got you on the apostrophe, so I needn't do anything.  Thanks for asking -- and thanks for trying.  You get an A- for the post.
An A from SSS is like calling your mother from the induction center to tell her you got the job.   :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 04:14:29 PM »
Yer slippinng Slimm -- mist the DeSoto spellin.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 05:05:14 PM »
Mr. Back, Sir, I humbly ask if you'd like to take over.  I got so focused on spelling and punctuation that I overlooked the capitalisation error.

Oh, the shame of it all.  I think I'll go hide in the little green room and lock myself in.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tortoise

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 08:38:41 PM »
Mr. Back, Sir, I humbly ask if you'd like to take over.  I got so focused on spelling and punctuation that I overlooked the capitalisation error.

Oh, the shame of it all.  I think I'll go hide in the little green room and lock myself in.
Since you arrogate unto yourself the role of teacher, you are held to a higher standard. We rightly expect of you not only impeccable spelling, grammar and punctuation, but elegant style.

"I got so focused . . ." will not do.

"Capitalisation" with an S rather than a Z is more common in British than American usage, while "focussed' is the more usual British spelling. 

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Back to the subject at hand!
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 12:57:10 AM »
Aircap, the hexapod concept has been around for a long time and actually originated from motion bases used for flight simulators. Giddings and Lewis did some of the first application of the concept to machine tools and as I understand the rigidity is very high certainly equal to a sliding axis machine.

Watched the 5 axis milling of the engine block and was impressed on the finish cuts for the cylinders, must have had a ball end mill and then did a 5 axis move to make the cylinders round. Very interesting. I worked on several very large 5 axis conversions when I was at Standard Tool and Die, we did 3 large Lucas horizontal boring machines that we added a French built 5 axis head. Worked well.

Coolants: While at Standard Tool and Die we did some interesting stuff with titanium. We were doing a job for Lockheed and needed to hog out big slots in some ti bar. We used liquid nitrogen for coolant. Literally made the stuff cut like aluminum. When the liquid nitrogen bottle would run out and the flow stopped the milling cutter would snap, instantaneously!!

Russ Jensen's machining ability. Desoto man you should take Russ up on his offer, I have seen some of the parts he has made very impressive!! He has made some guns that are really unbelievable!! He is very talented.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 09:46:53 AM »
Arrogate -- to take or claim something for oneself without justification.  Hey, now, I thought I had justified the appellation pretty well, but I'll be glad to apologise and retract if you feel it's a valid point.

As for the double "s" use -- I read a British newspaper (among other things) and haven't seen enough usage of that double "s" to have chosen to integrate it into my lexicon, but I assure you that I'll be more observant in the future.  The only dictionary I've got here (at the office) shows, by the way, that the spelling "focussed" is an intransitive verb.  The phrase "I got so focused" doesn't use the f-word as a verb, so single "s" seems correct.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tortoise

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 10:43:34 AM »
. . . I'll be glad to apologise . . .
You have taken the moral high ground, which trumps all. (I slink off the field.)