Author Topic: You gota love CNC  (Read 16677 times)

Offline ack

You gota love CNC
« on: March 17, 2007, 10:09:08 AM »

Offline Freud

Re: You gota love CNC
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 11:25:23 AM »
Mike, that is amazing. Dick Flynn in Spokane, made a set of heads for his single overhead cam Ford without CNC.
That too is a chore.
Call him OLD SCHOOL.
FREUD
Since '63

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 11:46:21 AM »
Just think of all the beer you could buy with the recycled chips.

DW

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:51:30 PM »
I wonder how much it would cost to make a desoto block that way? I am sure more than I can afford.  :-)
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 08:38:04 PM »
Tom, maybe that should be posted in Items Wanted to Buy.
Who knows, maybe someonce can answer that question for their own experience.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 12:32:14 AM »
Ask Marlo, he runs a Desoto.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 12:43:33 AM »
I wonder how much it would cost to make a desoto block that way? I am sure more than I can afford.  :-)
Tom G.
You buy the block of 6061 T-651 and I can whittle you one copy out much faster than a cnc can do 1- whittled set of heads for big perkins deisel- faster than puller made his winter round trip to calif- shop[ rate here is 16/hr.like Jack said -in Iowa time is our most abundant comodity.....Thought bout this a little more- al is getting real expensive- wt is no handicap @ bville-Jacks post bout crosley reminded me of cheaper & better solution- weld up a block from steel- have article somewhere of somebody doing that for race eng-could get fancy and use 4130; but would make weld repairs more of problem- plain old 1018 would be stronger than cast iron- 304 stainless would make a nice unit also- harmonics might be possible drawback;but if heavy sections were used ,should be OK..are desoto blks getting that scarse?? saw a lot of them go to scrap-I only saved 392's.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 01:32:37 AM by russ jensen »
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 12:53:54 AM »
Some of Marlo's blocks seemed to be made of kiln dried China.
They sure shattered like a dropped coffee cup when the blower belt
jumped off.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 04:24:47 PM »

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 04:52:09 PM »

You buy the block of 6061 T-651 and I can whittle you one copy out much faster than a cnc can do 1- whittled set of heads for big perkins deisel- faster than puller made his winter round trip to calif- shop[ rate here is 16/hr.like Jack said -in Iowa time is our most abundant comodity.....Thought bout this a little more- al is getting real expensive- wt is no handicap @ bville-Jacks post bout crosley reminded me of cheaper & better solution- weld up a block from steel- have article somewhere of somebody doing that for race eng-could get fancy and use 4130; but would make weld repairs more of problem- plain old 1018 would be stronger than cast iron- 304 stainless would make a nice unit also- harmonics might be possible drawback;but if heavy sections were used ,should be OK..are desoto blks getting that scarse?? saw a lot of them go to scrap-I only saved 392's.
[/quote]

Russ,
  The problem with a desoto block is that the motor will put out more HP than the block can handle even with a full girdle. I am talking the small 300" motors. I priced a forged piece of Aluminum to make a block out of and it was $2400 a year ago. Who knows what it would be now. You also have to remember the last 291 desoto was made about 52 years ago. In that time frame, rust (cancer for cast iron) can have a ball internally.

My idea would be to make the block out of aluminum and put removeable sleeves in. Just like a top fuel motor. Increase the size of the main bearing to 2.5" from 2.375", and add side bolts for the new 4 bolt main caps.

The big draw back would be the $10,000 or so it would cost for 1 block. And that would be if you could find someone to do it. There is no market for it, and I don't have a wealthy relative who will finance it.  :-)   Oh well I can keep dreaming.

Tom G.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 06:07:33 PM »
I've never seen a CNC run so fast, but all I have seen cut in person has been steel or hardened steel.  That aluminum looks like butter in comparison!

Considering how cheap a small block chevy or ford is, I don't think I could ever pony up that kind of money to make a block.  If you want a really small V8 to scream on RPM, then the Busa V8 would be worth toying with.  My pockets aren't quite that deep though!  :-D

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 10:21:57 PM »
I've never seen a CNC run so fast, but all I have seen cut in person has been steel or hardened steel.  That aluminum looks like butter in comparison
I used to use conventional cutters- last set of rods I made from 4130 I purchased a carbide cutter that took expensive round inserts- was well worth money- ran spindle @ 2700 and it would wade through steel just like that al- drawback was the chips came off like 1/2 moon staples about the speed of bullets & they stick and are hot-smarts..russ  P.S, I cut 4140 dry. That trick won't work on al as it gets hot & sticky without lots of coolant- which makes a big mess on bridgeport.with al I use solvent..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:27:31 PM by russ jensen »

Offline aircap

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 10:36:29 PM »
Russ - if you want to eliminate the mess and keep the tool & part cool, then try a "Cold Gun". No moving parts, runs off your air line. Attaches magnetically.
Used them frequently the last 30 years in the machine shop - on any material.

Here's a link: http://www.industrysearch.com.au/Products/High_Power_Cold_Gun_For_Machining_Operations-17698
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 10:49:33 PM »
Russ - if you want to eliminate the mess and keep the tool & part cool, then try a "Cold Gun". No moving parts, runs off your air line. Attaches magnetically.
Used them frequently the last 30 years in the machine shop - on any material
tried air before- is this unit cold enough to keep al from sticking in end mills w/o solvent? --.with advent of the toothed roughers for al hasn't been quite the problem if I don't get in to big a hurry..russ

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 12:05:28 AM »
I started programming CNC's back in the late 70's when I was still in high school. I worked for my dad and all the programs were written by hand and punched out on 1" wide paper tape. We had one of the first Bridgeport Boss 4 machines. My dad, who is pretty sharp, wrote his own program in BASIC on an Apple II to machine contour surfaces. Soon cad/cam programs became cheap enough for small businesses to buy and I switched to them. My programming ability made my apprenticeship as a tool & die maker go very quickly. I've done 5 axis aerospace stuff, but nothing as complicated as that engine block. Now all I do is 3 & 4 axis bling-bling stuff that don't make you go any faster.

And for high speed alum cutting, I always use a flood coolant. I've pried too many end mills out of a melted mess of metal to not use it.

Matt