Poll

Who has the record for the fastest gas sit on bike

1 (25%)
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Fastest sit on gas motorcycle  (Read 15786 times)

Offline Rick Roberts

Fastest sit on gas motorcycle
« on: March 16, 2007, 08:21:48 PM »
Who has the record for the fastest sit on gas bike. Looking at the Bonneville records it appears to be Rick Yacoucci at 220.553. Dave Owens bike has been over 222 at Maxton    :-D but has anyone been faster?
ECTA 200 Club

dwarner

Re: Fastest sit on gas motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:58:48 PM »
Amo , Noonan  and others look like "sit on" bikes to me, but what do I know about two wheelers. Also note that Rick Yacoucci has gone well over 100 MPH faster by adding two more wheels.

DW

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »
Rick's record is only the 5th fastest in the 1350 class.
ECTA
8-B   APS/BF-3000/4   Yancy Racing   Lee Shierts   Sep-05   252.178

Bonneville
1650 APS-BF   John Noonan Racing   Suzuki   10/04/06   246.818

El Mirage
1650 APS-BG     John Noonan     J. Noonan     11/02     232.311
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »
Rick Roberts: If you are talking about gasoline with no power adders, you are correct. (But we are working on it  :-D).Dean: You missed the highest record of all, the Yancy-Shierts 260.1 at Maxton. John Noonan is the fastest at Bonneville at 252.8 which is the official FIM record set at the BUB meet. The turbo records were set with gasoline but cannot be compared to N/A records. Great accomplishments all.

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »
My bad, I included power adders.

DW

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »
then theirs the fella who went 265mph at Elvington on a sit on street legal turbo busa last year.

stayt`ie

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 04:27:05 AM »
Rick's record is only the 5th fastest in the 1350 class.
ECTA
8-B   APS/BF-3000/4   Yancy Racing   Lee Shierts   Sep-05   252.178

Bonneville
1650 APS-BF   John Noonan Racing   Suzuki   10/04/06   246.818

El Mirage

1650 APS-BG     John Noonan     J. Noonan     11/02     232.311

hay fella`s dont forget that there is another venue on the block, also:-

Gairdner

1350 MPS/BF      John Noonan          235.740        06

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 09:24:20 PM »
Sorry Folks, I was looking at the record for the fastest NA gas bike. I know there are several turbo or blower gas bikes faster than Dave Owen at 222, but I was looking for NA gas.
ECTA 200 Club

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 10:05:52 PM »
Larry and BBB, I was at Maxton and saw Lee run the 260 on Rich's bike. Very cool. I have mentioned that pass here in the past, along with the 265 of the Flying Dutchman and I got several less than positive replies from folks who were not very happy to accept the fact that someone could go faster than the current record at Bonneville at another track. There are alot of people who think that if it didn't happen at Bonneville, it doesn't count.  Glad I'm not the only one who remembers these racers and their FAST accomplishments.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 10:15:48 PM by Rick Roberts »
ECTA 200 Club

Super Kaz

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 12:28:54 AM »
Sorry Folks, I was looking at the record for the fastest NA gas bike. I know there are several turbo or blower gas bikes faster than Dave Owen at 222, but I was looking for NA gas.

TRAMP III on NITRO :mrgreen: WENT 239 or there abouts back in the day....... :-o

that is FLYING ON A PUSHROD V-TWIN

Parabellum-Faired Bub/S+S Tramp III went 239 mph. This is a pushrod twin with a single carburetor!

:? :? :? :?

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 08:47:06 AM »
Rick,

I think the problem is not that records can only be set at Bonneville but, that certification of records at other venues is sometimes suspect. I didn't do the research but, I seem to recall that the Dutchman record was set with a short timing trap and not an average of two passes.

There are other items that can be looked at with any record. We can be sure at Bonneville that the traps are accurate and the timing is the best that can be done on a given day.

DW

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 12:05:36 PM »
Rich's 260 is a record. Although Maxton does not require a two run average the Yancy bike has made more than a dozen runs over 250. That in itself should eliminate any doubt about timing discrepancies. The NHRA by mandating large wheel discs after the Steve Johnson brouhaha tacitly acknowleged that the front wheel sometimes bounced over the timing beam and the body then stopped the clocks. Regrettably they have not thrown out the bogus speed record that resulted. The Flying Dutchman has a fast motorcycle. However: HE WENT 265 WITH A 40 MPH TAILWIND. His return run was 228. He has never approached that speed again. Stock Busas were timed at 210 that same day, 20 mph faster than usual. Wind aided times are not allowed in track & field either and we are only talking 25 mph max. Hell, Bonneville used to be three runs; try that on nitro. :evil:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 12:41:32 PM »
Rich's 260 is a record. Although Maxton does not require a two run average the Yancy bike has made more than a dozen runs over 250. That in itself should eliminate any doubt about timing discrepancies. The NHRA by mandating large wheel discs after the Steve Johnson brouhaha tacitly acknowleged that the front wheel sometimes bounced over the timing beam and the body then stopped the clocks. Regrettably they have not thrown out the bogus speed record that resulted. The Flying Dutchman has a fast motorcycle. However: HE WENT 265 WITH A 40 MPH TAILWIND. His return run was 228. He has never approached that speed again. Stock Busas were timed at 210 that same day, 20 mph faster than usual. Wind aided times are not allowed in track & field either and we are only talking 25 mph max. Hell, Bonneville used to be three runs; try that on nitro. :evil:
I can assure you that when it took three runs to set a record, it was a lot harder. Our Lakester had qualified and made the "down run" four times over 200 MPH before we made the "return run" without Murphy getting us. It was well worth it. I got into the club @ 221.183 with 60 ci. and a little nitrous. :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
Wanna hear a funny or 2 or 10 ?
SCTA has a whole season of events every year with no backup run required.
They run for class records and season points.
While the timing may be accurate their is no independent verification or hands off operation of the system .
One of the members even set the minimums and then got # 1 on a sorta bike without any oversight.
Another one of the more famous riders set his record with a 22mph tail wind and they affectionately call it "El Mirage Horse Power".
Does anybody remember the day when the SCTA 1/4 mile clocks were set up 100ft. too long at Bonneville ?
Try and qualify against that.
The English and Auzis do talk funny now that I think about it.
Humm, I wonder ?

"A flat statement without exception is most often just flat."

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 12:54:38 PM »
You tell them Jack.  :roll:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20