Author Topic: Bring back /exp class  (Read 7620 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Bring back /exp class
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »
Dallas, I think you have been in the snow to long.Just try to announce that on the radio.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »
In the early 90's motorcycles had a 3-wheel class for ONE tricycle (Not sidecar) that came from the dirt drags. Took a decade to phase that out. !!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »
That was the Clupper's.
 They did it on the promise to the board that it would open up an opportuniy to many simular vevicles. The had a minimum wheelbase to keep out the ATC's.
 It took no time at all to exhaust theur interest and much longer to get them out of the book.
 Electric bikes are in very much the same position.
 More classes don't mean more or better racing.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »
 Now you're on track Jack.

rosemeyer

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 05:44:00 PM »
I can see the argument against new classes or more classes, but isn't the aims of the SCTA and others to give everyone a chance to compete. To keep it fair, you have to run against vehicle which are comparable. I don't think the increase in the number of classes devalue the racing or the records, speaking from an observer point of view.
 It's good that almost every kind of vehicle is accepted and has a class, as long that safety norms are respected. Personally, one of the thing I like in land racing is diversity. I don't think it's really good to exclude people from this sport on the ground of 'non conformism'. I may be wrong.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 07:42:00 PM »
There have been two front engine modified roadsters exceed 300 mph. It's only a matter of time before the newer versions are doing it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dan Warner:
 Now you're on track Jack.
WAIT  WAIT  WAIT!!! Dan let Me think about that.
 If I am on track, will I be allowed to go faster ?
 Glen is right about trailer fenders on the back of lakesters make them look funny.
 I did it with 32 Ford fenders mounted  backwards on the rear of the back motered dragster.
  I was in a lot of trouble until the oldtimers figured they were not steel. Then they all wanted pictures.
 Basketcase put the picture in HOT ROD.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

dwarner

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2005, 12:59:00 AM »
I can see the argument against new classes or more classes, but isn't the aims of the SCTA and others to give everyone a chance to compete. To keep it fair, you have to run against vehicle which are comparable.
 If you were to enter IRL can you build a vehicle to any configuration you want? I think not. If you want to race with the SCTA wouldn't you think you should build a racer within any of 850 classes? I would hope so.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2005, 02:16:00 AM »
IRL cars all race each other with a formula they all agreed on before the season. They might have another formula next season.
 Records are for ever until somebody goes faster with the same formula.
  Change the formula and you have superseded all previous records and you should start again.
 Adding well defined classes at a club level is appropriate, just don't mistake them for anything they are not.
 To protect a class from a vehicle that is not exceeding the rules and is faster is just protection not setting records or racing.

<small>[ February 10, 2005, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2005, 04:41:00 AM »
When the rear engine roadsters were raced in the past before being outlawed what class did they run in might be the real question?

rosemeyer

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2005, 05:22:00 AM »
In response to Dan Warner, I think that to compare land racing with the IRL is not valid. Strict rules apply in IRL where you can only buy chassis already homologated from 2 (or is it 3?) accepted manufacturer and have only a choice of 3 engine makes. The configurations are set in stone, and there is no team 'building' cars in IRL. IRL is basically a 'two-make' series where teams can only play with chassis set-up.
 Land racing is about individuality, ingenuity, diversity and getting there using different means.

dwarner

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »
Land racing is about individuality, ingenuity, diversity and getting there using different means.
 Does "different means" mean having a class for red cars and blue cars? If there is a defined set of rules for a given class, then build within that set of paramaters. Do not lobby for 64 new classes just because you cannot go fast enough to beat Joe Law. Where is the challenage in that?

My IRL reference was by incident and not choice. I was watching Speed channel while reading my email and an IRL deal was on. I could have used any configuration of any scantioning body current today.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
See there ???
 Three sets of English language saying the same thing !!!!
 No wonder We fight !!!!
 GREAT
 OK, NOW LETS GET SERIOUS.
 What shade of RED ?
 Isn't that one really "HOT PINK"?
 Just be sure you go slow so as not to raise any eye brows. These people are old and set in their ways. You don't want to force them to find new ways, or your just going to eat new classes.