Bonneville Salt Flats Discussion > Bonneville General Chat

Old Motorcycle Records.

<< < (4/7) > >>

tomsmith:
I was wrong about the rider of the Brute.  Originally Louis Castro rode the Brute.  About 1952 or maybe later, Jim Hunter took over.  At least I think so.  The motor was put in a streamliner around 1954, which was not successful due to lack of stability or something.  A few years later, Bud Hood and CB Clausen (the owners) broke up - I heard one of them went to Mexico and bought or ran a hotel.  How about that for nebulous information.

tomsmith:
I forgot to mention that the Marty Dickerson Vincent was running gas class.  Marty has the fastest gas Vincent ever run at Bonneville.  Henry Bernal, Bud Hare, the Brute, Jim Hunter and Tom Smith ran fuel (about 30% nitro then).  I don't know what anyone else ran.  Joe Simpson's Fuel Vincent had problems, so didn't get a good run in, as well as Jack Dale (Harley 45), Sandy McGregor (61cu in & 74cu in Harley).  Rich Richards did 129.76 2-ways early on (500cc Triumph), only to be beaten by Bud Hare's 500cc Triumph.

JackD:
It is a shame those records are treated as forgotten but not gone.
They deserve better. :wink:

sabat:
Old thread resurrection. I searched the word "history" on the site and have been reading for a couple hours.

It started with a trivia question - what's the oldest record in the SCTA book? I think it's the 1956 NSU record, but I haven't looked at every value. Anyone know?

754:
Dickerson ran at Bub in 07 or 08

The Curtis sppeed is quite awesome, an interesting story, that certainly sounds possible.

What you had said is the first I had heard of it being an engine out of something else!

Just before I posted this, I held in my hands an original card of Curtiss on his bike!

It says this at the top,

World Record - Ormond Beach, Fla.
1 mile - 26 2/5 seconds.
8 cylinder, 40 hp. Motor Cycle.
Built by the Curtiss Manufacturing Company, Hammondsport, N.Y.

I got that card on ebay , a few years back, and also (not the same time) a letter written by a Roland Free,  Indian Agent, on his company letterhead, I think that was 1930 ish..

Interesting stuff, this topic..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version