Author Topic: Aussie speed week  (Read 9215 times)

Offline ack

Re: Aussie speed week
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 08:35:14 AM »
If your running bikes I would strongly recommend that you plan to run both at Speed Week and Bub if you can spend the time in the US. The end of Speed Week and Bub are only 2 weeks apart.   Bonneville just like Lake Gairdner is subject to adverse weather conditions.  With two events planned you have a much better chance of being able to run.

If you can?t spend that much time in the US you might ship the container to Salt Lake City and wait for weather and track condition reports before booking airfare.  Maybe some local racers in the Salt Lake area would be willing to receive the container for you.

When we went to Australia in 06 we booked well in advance of the trip but found you could get just as good a deal on air fare at the last minute.

A 20-foot container could easily hold 8 bikes or more.  With eight bikes I am guessing it would cost you around  $1,500.00USD each to get them here and back.  Rod Hatfield has shipped containers to the US and he would be a good person to contact about the logistics and cost.

One note of caution:  Don?t try to smuggle any Vegemite in to the US as our Environmental Protection Agency has banned its use.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 09:43:16 AM »
Don't think for a minute you can swallow a snoot full of Vegemite and recover it when it passes.
They will be checking for that.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Freud

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »
With all the engineering savy that is posessed by the LSR group, it's really sad that their efforts can all be brought to a halt by the weather. Maybe we should haul that extra salt to So Cal and make a new salt flat down there.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Assen

• New folks
    • assentecracing.com
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 04:50:46 PM »
Appreciate the advice folks
Personally I prefer cuban cigars - I will bring some over for you gents as I believe you have trouble getting them there.
Both Speedweek and BUB sound like a good idea - how does World of Speed fit the agenda? is that at the end of BUB?

love the salt - love the people - always learning

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 04:53:39 PM »
about a week or so later, now you are thinking, as long as you made a long trip, ya just as well stay for the season....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 04:59:16 PM »
Cuban cigars are avalable through Politicians and Gangsters.
Even if you think they come cheap they are reallly costly. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 02:49:06 AM »
Bub's is sept 2-6, WOS is sept 12-15,so you have 6 days in between.
I live in SF Bay area and could help out on this end.I-80 goes right by my workplace(Vallejo) and home(Vacaville) on the way to Saltflats.Most likely port is Oakland/SF area.Make sure you get hold of Gazza,Dirty Dave,Gary Baker,Ronnie S, and Greg Watters, as I know they are all interested.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Assen

• New folks
    • assentecracing.com
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 06:11:28 AM »
Thanks for the offer Jim

Offline Assen

• New folks
    • assentecracing.com
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 06:29:20 AM »
Thanks for the offer Jim, appreciate all the advice and help we can get. Ive been in touch with Greg and Ronnie so far and will track down the other chaps in due course over the next few weeks. Will keep you posted as we get our ducks in a row
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 07:04:45 AM by Assen »

Offline JGMagoo

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 10:16:21 AM »
Just my opinion:
Speedweek is the biggest with more to see, but you will probably spend more time in waiting lines to make a run. Accommodations are also somewhat tight at this time, so camping may be necessary.

World Of Speed is a smaller event and the lines may be shorter.

BUB is motorcycles only. Lines should not be too big of a problem.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline ack

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 11:12:42 AM »
Don't think for a minute you can swallow a snoot full of Vegemite and recover it when it passes.

It would probably greatly improve the taste though.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 11:24:05 AM »

It would probably greatly improve the taste though.
I hate to use the term "Profiling" but there is substantial evidence it makes you talk funny.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 07:33:32 AM »
You can say no to vegimite... it's even been known to happen with aussies...  ( Honestly I've seen it myself... even they won't eat that stuff )
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 10:01:26 AM »
Well it sounds like KT hit the deck running in spite of his recent adventure.
I think not drinking the Vegemite helped hm to get home clean, otherwise he would have been a real grump.

Offline Freud

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 03:53:22 PM »
As you look for alternative uses for Vegemite, do not use it on your drive chain. It destroys a chain faster than salt. In an attempt to reduce the population Down Under, the UK sends container loads for free distribution.
FREUD
Since '63