Author Topic: Fuel Tank Roll Over Valve  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Jon Minonno

• New folks
Fuel Tank Roll Over Valve
« on: February 02, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »
We were questioned at Tech about fuel spillage if the Bike Fell Over. Is there any rule concerning roll over valves and why did it come up.  :confused:

landracing

Re: Fuel Tank Roll Over Valve
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »
There is no rule that I am aware of about it. Dont know where in the hell that question came up in tech.

It came up Jon because your "Special"

Jonathan

Offline RP

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 09:34:00 AM »
The rule is in the 2004 book under Tech Specifications section, 3.1 Fuel Systems.  I guess this section could be for all vehicles, even though I thought it was just for cars.  Some of the rules say all cars, some say all vehicles, some just refer to the subject.  This requirement should be added to the Motorcycle section if it is going to be enforced, similar to how the battery hold down rule is being added.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »
A motorcycle is just another class of vehicle.
 If a rule is valid for one it is valid for another.
 Repeating it for the bikes is the same as repeating if for the trucks, roadsters, and every classification.
 If it bears repeating because it is not clearly expressed for everyone then you have set them aside and suggest they need special attention.
 Perhaps if the rule was written as a general equipment standard it would apply to everyone as it should.

<small>[ February 03, 2005, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »
Even tho a rollover valve is not mentioned in the M/C section many of the same rules for streamliners are the same for M/C's and 4 wheel vehicles. IE: fire suits, fire bottles, belts, padding etc..

I stands to reason an enclosed M/C should have a roll over valve or proper venting as the cars(protected from all positions). I would think the liner guys would do it for their own protection. Stating that, perhaps it should be added it the liner section.

I have been asked in the past to look at M/C liners as a car inspector to see if all the car safety sections were met and I was happy to do it.

If during an accident on an open M/C, I would feel alot more comfortable if I had a way of making sure the fuel would not get on me if I was trapped on the bike and a fire from leaking fuel hit a hot manifold..

Just my opinion and nothing else. J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

RODaly

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
Jimmy six,

RODaly

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »
jimmy six,

RODaly

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »
jimmy six,
 Can you identify the specific streamliner rule that requires a rollover shut-off for the fuel system.  Thanks

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 07:07:00 PM »
page 29 ...3.1....2/3's down the paragraph...not streamliner specific...All Cars....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

High Gear

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »
Our motorcycle streamliner is always checked for a roll-over device in tech inspection and i'm happy about it.