Author Topic: GPS  (Read 9469 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: GPS
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 12:28:40 PM »
Pro:

All of my pairs of glasses have "bows" (that's the part that's hinged and goes back over the ears) that bend down at the ear end.  Fine for normal use -- but they're a bitch to slide into the helmet/behind my ears when the helmet is on, and there's no way that the helmet can be put on when the glasses are already on my head.  So I've had the angled part of the bows straightened out -- sort of like the "aviator" style you see in the movies and on pilots -- so I can don the helmet and then slide the glasses straight back and into place.  This works.

However -- I'd be happier if the "long" vision part of the glasses went up higher-still.  When I'm at full tuck I'm looking through the very top of the lens -- and sometimes over the top, so my vision isn't corrected after all.  If the lenses were even taller this might not happen.  I can't find lenses any taller, though, so I make do with what I can get.

By the same token, wouldn't it be nice if there were M/C helmets that had a "taller" aperature through which the wearer could look out -- so he could see when his head is bent further down (full tuck).  I know, I know -- it'd require a whole new design, a whole new investment in Snell (or whomever) testing and certifying.  But wouldn't it be nice?

Does this respond to what you were asking, or did I miss the point entirely?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 01:00:11 PM »
Slim
Have the nose bridge pads raised.
Just don't get caught wearing them without the helmet or you will look like a geek.
On second thought, who would notice ?

CARRY ON
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »
I made my first few runs in our roadster with regular bifocals.  It took me a few runs to figure out why everything was blurry while I was running.  The vibration (Iwas mistakenly resting my head against the back of the roll cage) was shaking my head up and down across the bifocal line.  The next year I had my optometrist make me some glasses (with the cheapest frame) with just the top lens.  I also had him make straight side pieces so they were easier to put on with my helmet on.  I keep my helmet off the roll cage now.   I can read the big tach directly in front of me (it doesn't move much for the last 4 miles) and have a clear view of the course.  The next year I had him put a heavy tint on the lenses to cancel out the reflections off the new air intake.  Worked great until return record runs at dawn with the sun in my face.  Couldn't read the tach that's under the tonneau in the shade.  Haven't been to impounds in a few years, so it's not a current problem!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 07:02:33 PM »
Glen,
What exactly is your problem with me?
Someone asked about using GPS as an instrument during runs.  I pointed out that we find it valuable during licensing passes.  Many others here claim it's not nessisary -  thats true -  they just use conversion RPM charts -  thats true - and we also have the same charts.  We have found that it takes less time and is less distracting to look at the speed instead of doing mental calculations on the RPM chart.  That may or may not be true -  but in the worst case it takes no more time and effort than looking at the Tach -  and no mental gymnastics involved.

I never claimed that it was an official record of speed,  apparently you misunderstood me. My claim was that it is an easy inexpensive accurate instrument to help you manage a run!

Since you work in the timer trailer you can answer this question:  what happens if a driver is either too slow or too fast during a licensing run? Using a simple inexpensive GPS is a good way to avoid those problems - right?

I guess I don't know where your impression of me acting like I was an expert driver at Bonneville comes from,  it's your opinion -  I have no control over that! - But,  since you have been asking on every post,  I do not have alot of Bonneville experience -  only been going there for 5 years -  in that time we have put 11 people in the 130 mph club and 4 more in the 150 club -  and are in the middle of licensing runs to go faster for 3 of us -  damned that WOS and world finals weather. 

I agree thats not alot of experience.  I also run open road races in Nebraska and Nevada -  and have raced everything from bicycles, to motocross, to enduros, to endurance cart racing, To AutoX to Solo,  to road racing, to open road racing, to airplane racing , to road rallys and whatever else I can find to waste money on!

Does that make you happy Glen?   Oh BTW - when it comes to GPS -  I've been using it since about 1988 -  before the complete satelite constelations were in place -  so I do have a tiny bit of experience in that field.  The question asked about using GPS required someone who has done it,  right?  wouldn't someone with actual experience doing that have some knowledge to share?  as opposed to someone who has never tried it pontificating on the subject?   am I right Glen?

I'm sorry if I do not meet your qualifications to answer questions in this forum Glen,  But if I think I have something to add to a discussion -  I will do so.

You seem to think that I am just winging it here -  making decisions based on whimsy and ignorance.
 I am in constant communication with many  oldtimers from the salt, getting incredibly valuable information and ideas based on their experiences.  I have travelled 6 hours one way to talk with people -  look at their cars -  then turn around and go home -  because I valued their experience and judgement. I don't think I've made any decision on this or the other 2 cars or the motorcycle we are building without talking to 3 or 4 old timers with experience -   Not a week goes by that I haven't contacted 4 or 5 guys and got their opinions and answers.  I didn't know that it was required that I run all of my advise seeking through you -  is there a form or something I can fill out to get your blessing to talk with Nate Jones, or SSS, or Dan wright, or numerous others -

Carl Johansson
Please wait till I go put on my fire suit -  seems I have offended another GIANT in Landspeed racing -  so let the flaming begin! 

The only record of speeds that that are recorded during any run are the ones we record on the official timers in the timing trailer. What ever you use is for your reference only. Every license run is reported to the starter of that course. If you exceed it by what is determined to fast the starter has the right to make you do the run over within the limits of that category.

As I read your posts you act like an expert driver at Bonneville on the salt. Looking at a tach or a GPS at speed is not always as easy as it seems. Keeping the car straight is the important thing. Carl, you are new at this and will learn that only rides down the track will give you the experience. I don't know your racing back ground as I don't believe you ever stated in any of your posts. The bottom line is any of the long time racers will do almost anything to help you achieve your goals. Work with us and we will react an assist you.

Bragging rights are earned.

Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 08:08:58 PM »
Carl
Would you PM me with your phone number and a good time to call you. I think we are mis understanding each other and this forum is not the place for it. OK
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 10:18:34 PM »
My remarks were not meant to be confrontational. I was not sure exactly what you were referring to. My only point was that when you are at the edge of performance, looking at gauges is very low on the priority list. If you are trying to achieve a licensing speed, and you are just kind of pedaling than that is another thing. At that stage then you need to focus on just one gauge, whether it is the tach (because you have that number dialed in) or some type of speed device to keep you in the right range. That is the reason for licensing runs, to prove that you can drive and still know what is happening, not just a crazy foot to the wood type thing. Trust me, there is plenty of time for a foot to the wood experience.
rht

Offline Freud

Glasses at B'ville (seeing not drinking)
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 12:18:51 AM »
Besides frying my brain in the sun on the salt for many years, behind a camera, I worked in subdued light in an office as an optometrist for 38 years.
I have had several notable patients. Phil Hill came from Italy and I did an exam and provided vision care for him on the very day that President Kennedy was assassinated. He was teh first American to be the Worlds Champion Formula One champion while driving for Ferrari. He is also a member of the 200 MPH club. He accomplished that driving an English streamliner for MG. Don Vesco was wearing glasses that I fixed for him for the last 10 years that he raced. I have since retired from an active 9-5 office but I haven't forgotten the things that helped me solve the needs of Vesco, Phil Hill and President Lyndon Johnson. President John died wearing glasses that I provided for him. I'll try to exclude you from that group......
If I can be of assistance to any of you, just contact me. I've been attending B'ville meets since 1963 and I don't intend to quit now. You can PM me or see me on the salt. I'll do everything possible to solve your seeing problems in  that situation. I've been there, I've experienced them and I can get you through a unique set of circumstances that many doctors do not comprehend.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Glasses at B'ville (seeing not drinking)
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 03:43:14 AM »
[quote author=Freud link=topic=2137.msg24404#msg24404 date=1172121531
If I can be of assistance to any of you, just contact me. I've been attending B'ville meets since 1963 and I don't intend to quit now. You can PM me or see me on the salt. I'll do everything possible to solve your seeing problems in  that situation. I've been there, I've experienced them and I can get you through a unique set of circumstances that many doctors do not comprehend.
FREUD
[/quote]
My eye doctor mumbles stuff in a darkened room and the assistant writes it all down in the dark.
That is why I am afraid of tiny closed rooms in the dark.
One big problem I have is with DR. Lingua.
How does his kid make that little Honda go so fast ? :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 09:14:07 AM »
So Freud, does that mean you and Phil were not part of the conspiracy, providing each other?s alibi?  Very convenient in light of the LBJ connection....Maybe we need to ..... never mind.
But back on subject, license passes are tach number in a certain gear in the middle of the speed range for us low tech racers....
But anything that gets you there, you just have to demonstrate that you can control your car and know about how fast you are going when the pedal is not all the way down.

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline promachine

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007, 10:03:36 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys. I think that maybe I should take my helmet with
me to the eye doc, maybe even the race car. It would be nice to see were
I am going for a change.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline panchop

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 10:08:06 AM »
I kind of figured tach x gear = speed but really was unsure of the slippage my skinny rear tire would add up to. Figure I'll mount a GPS anyways, I like redundant systems. Oh about the eyes. I went LASIK seems to work pretty damn good for me.