Author Topic: GPS  (Read 9470 times)

Offline panchop

GPS
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »
I have been told that mounting a GPS will be a good idea to let me know how fast I am going. i have a nice hand held magellian and but the speedometer screen is easy to read but kinda small. What has been the experiences out there with GPSs

Offline promachine

Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:27:18 PM »
I put a small handheld unit in my pocket of my firesuite a few years ago to see
if it worked, and it worked well. I don`t think it would have been big enough
for these old eyes to see during the pass, but at least I knew how fast I went
before my crew got to me.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »
I'm not convinced they are real accurate. Last time I drove the GPS read 198 at the 1/4, 198 at the 3, 198 at the 4 and 237 during roll out.

DW

racin jason

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 10:49:14 PM »
try the garmin forerunner . largest numbers  and it has a velcro strap to wrap around whatever. i can easily read it above 200 mph.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:30:44 PM »
my personal opinion is that being able to see speed during a run is a waste at best and an unnecessary distraction at the least. That info can be useful and relevant after the run.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 11:40:49 PM »
i agree with Richard... in all my passes I have been 2 busy 2 look at my gauges
kent

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »
We started out with every gauge known to man and beast. We now have a tach and a pyro, plus two idiot lights. Other gauges are under the body panels and can only be seen during warm up with the panels off. The only person that I knew that could make use of many gauges was Don Vesco. But he also spotted and correctly identified a Pepsi can at the 4 mile at 300+. If you can do that then have at it. I once was not able to spot a motor home crossing in front of me. Go figure.

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 12:20:22 AM »
but being able to read for your licensing runs is what I think greg is aiming at.
greg, take a look at these. i have one going on the current bike.

www.veypor.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 12:35:23 AM »
Previous GPS discussion:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,1087.0.html#top
I haven't run the Garmin Etrex Legend yet, but I've been playing with it. I turned it on, started logging, tossed it on the front seat and drove to work. You can configure it to record speed and location every second in a track log. I bought the RS-232 cable and use GPS Utility V4.30.1 to download and display the run. You don't need to see the speed during the run. The ability to check it in detail afterwards is all you need. It lists total miles to three decimal places, so you can chart the run and see the exact speed at all points during the run.
GPS Utility V4.30.1
http://www.gpsu.co.uk/
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 01:04:11 AM »
I agree with Richard. When I ran the Beretta I only had time to glance at the tach jsut before gear changes. I was able to estimate my speed by the tach from charts I had run and printed out before running. When Chris and her husband arrived they always had a hand written time slip for me as well as a glass of water and cool neck towel. That was good enough. I still have them all.
Dave Haller #93

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 01:55:53 AM »
  Panchop I also agree with Richard and Dave. I did the math for my licensing runs and it was right on. MPH= rpm X tire diameter divided by gear ratio X 336.        rpm= MPH X gear ratio X 336 divided by tire diameter.  For a licensing pass I would figure the low and the high rpm for the MPH  that I needed to stay within. I hope this helps it worked perfect for me. Good luck.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 09:24:39 AM »
I admit that I might be one of the few -- if not the only -- racer whose vision is somewhat less than perfect, but I'll offer this:

I wear glasses to see way down the course -- anything more than about 20 feet in front of me is a tad blurry without those lenses.  When the doctor asked why I wanted glasses I said "I ride a motorcycle over 200 mph", and his response was something like "That sounds like a reason for glasses, yup, you're right."

So I got the glasses and I can see the mile markers just dandy.  But then the dashboard was a complete blur.  I've got a tach and a couple of indicator lights ("shift" and "OH SHIT!") and while I could make out the lights -- the tach was hard to read.  A GPS would have been totally impossible to see (I tried it a few times).  I noticed, by the way, that I didn't choose to spend very much of my limited concentration on seeing the GPS, but the story needs closure, so here's what I did.

I got a new pair of glasses last year -- bifocals.  BUT --  I had the opticians put the reading part of the lens way the heck up higher than normal -- above the midpoint of the lens, in fact.  They thought I was crazy when I requested the glasses be ground that way, but now -- when I'm going down the track all tucked in and craning my neck upwards to get my head out of the wind and see down the track -- now the very tippy-top of the lens, which is still for "long" seeing, is where I need it to be -- and the reading part of the lens lets me read the tach (and would let me see a GPS or anything  else I chose to put on the dashboard) without moving my head back-and-forth.

I can't use the glasses for much of anything else, what with the reading lens getting in the way if I'm not tucked in -- but they're slicker than soap on a doorknob for racing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 10:36:39 AM »
We mount a garmin 315 (100 bucks) on the dash just behind the wheel -  it is extremely accurate when it comes to speed -  and easy to see the readout.  It is invaluable during licensing runs!  and when you are done -  you have a record of the speed in your hand!  I believe licensing runs require a way to verify speed -  by rule!  at least I think thats right!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 10:56:48 AM »
The only record of speeds that that are recorded during any run are the ones we record on the official timers in the timing trailer. What ever you use is for your reference only. Every license run is reported to the starter of that course. If you exceed it by what is determined to fast the starter has the right to make you do the run over within the limits of that category.

As I read your posts you act like an expert driver at Bonneville on the salt. Looking at a tach or a GPS at speed is not always as easy as it seems. Keeping the car straight is the important thing. Carl, you are new at this and will learn that only rides down the track will give you the experience. I don't know your racing back ground as I don't believe you ever stated in any of your posts. The bottom line is any of the long time racers will do almost anything to help you achieve your goals. Work with us and we will react an assist you.

Bragging rights are earned.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline promachine

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 12:19:54 PM »
Slim brings up an interesting point for me. I wear a Simpson Bandit and can`t
get my glasses on with the helmet. Has anybody got any suggestions?
Special glasses or maybe a different type of helmet?
I too do the math so I can look at the tach to judge my speed. Usually to
figure out if I am fast enough at the three mile, then I wont run to the four.
If not, keep going to the four, still not enugh rpm? To the five and hope it
stays together. Wich would be easyer if I could see :-o
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler