Author Topic: Any new jet-car speed records ?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline frez

• New folks
Any new jet-car speed records ?
« on: February 20, 2007, 11:35:35 AM »
Hi :mrgreen:
First , i`ll say hello. I am new here so this is my first topic.
I love everything who goes fast , specially the jet-powered cars like Thrust , Green monster , Spirit of America etc...
Im always watching my "land speed collection , the history of the land speed record" dvd and i find this very interesting.
In the 50`s , 60`s and 70`s this was very popular , and Craig Breedlove and Art Arfons fought for the record.
But when Trust Ssc took the record at 1,228 km/h (i think it was) , no ones has tried to take the record back as i know.
Well , you need a heck of a car to drive faster than 1,228km/h , it will cost VERY much , and the risk is high so its mayby therefor no-one tries to break the thrust record. But the question im asking:

Is anyone trying to brake that record ? Has anyone plans on braking it ?

Is Craig Breedlove out of the "fastest man on earth" competition ?

As for me , it would be very interesting if someone wanted to take the record from Britain , like they did back in the 50`s.
But mayby this time has passed...
Let me know what you think and know.
Thanks
Jan :-)
i love jet-machines <3

Offline aircap

Re: Any new jet-car speed records ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 11:47:50 AM »
Welcome, frez!
As a matter of fact, Craig Breedlove's last racer that "did battle" against Thrust SSC has been sold to Steven Fossett, who is no stranger to record setting. Mr. Fossett plans on beefing up Breedlove's "Spirit of America" to take a stab at 800 MPH.
Check landracing.com for other threads on this subject, or use Google for the latest news reports on Fossett - and again, welcome. We hope to see more from you!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 12:40:24 PM »
There is also Ed Shadle and his American Eagle, an ex F 104 Starfighter, a very famous version - the plane was one of the chasing plane on the X-Program at Edwards.
He has a Website, see at the links list. Ed done the F 104 on wheels, also some test runs was done on different airfields. His team is a bunch of freaks who do it by fun.

Another one is Rosco McGlashan in Perth/Australia - see http://www.aussieinvader.com - building a rocket car, using the same power unit as the successful space ship one, the first private rocket in the "Sky"....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:48:44 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:08:27 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that Fossett had retired. Anyone else read that?
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 07:38:08 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that Fossett had retired. Anyone else read that?

Craig Breedlove has retired and sold the car (Spirit of America Sonic Arrow 2000) and all the equipment to Steve Fossett. Steve moved everything to Reno to rebuilt the car, especially I think he has to remodel the cockpit to find enough room for himself :wink:
Steve plan shows first shack down test in July this year, but the last information was that this idea couldn't be reach. Wait and see. :-)
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)