Author Topic: Another dreaded newbie thread  (Read 8575 times)

Offline notfarnow

• New folks
Re: Another dreaded newbie thread
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 02:50:25 PM »
Again, I can't thank you guys enough for the great advice.

Some considerations:

-Race prep on the vehicle is not a HUGE barrier. I'd like to build a vehicle for local track racing and possibly the Targa Newfoundland road race. By the sounds of it, much of the SCTA requirements would be met by prepping a car for these other events I have in mind. I'll get a better sense of that when i have a look at the rule book.

-Self-starting not allowed in any classes? Is that correct? If so, that could nix it right there. Or, do people ever share "pushers"? Is it possible to pay another crew to push?

-Unfortuanetly, going to multiple events would be out of the question. I've got a relatively specialized 9-5 job, and getting 2-3 weeks in one chunk is going to require some sweet-talking. Taking a month is out of the question, short of quitting my job. I like my job.

-Bonneville is where I'd like to go. I want to see the big dogs run, and see the carnival. I know that by running a car, I'd be missing much of what's going on, but it's not a trip I'd be able to make in subsequent years.

I'll be starting a family soon, and I'm sure many of you will recognize how that affects things. The way I see it, I'll have one kick at the can. I'd like that to be Bonneville. If rules, red tape and cost make it impossible, then so be it. Maybe I'd just drive down to watch... but returning for subsequent years would be out of the question until I retire in 25-30 years.

Either way, I can't say how much I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me mull over this. I'm on the other side of the continent, in another country and it's 5*F out. It's too cold to do anything in the garage, so I have a huge fire in the fireplace and the dogs are asleep on the couch. Talking to you guys about the salt flats is pretty cool... helps get through the february "blahs".
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:52:53 PM by notfarnow »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 02:57:38 PM »
If you got the "self-starting not allowed in any classes" from the DLRA - I'm sorry for that.  For Production (which I race) the car must be able to start on it's own.  May cars start and run on their own.  Many have push vehicles because of the high gearing.  You can't drive the car ANYWHERE else on the salt though - it must be towed or pushed.

What part of the country do you live in? 

And be careful how you time that family . . . my son was born August 9th . . . so if Speed Week moves earlier in the month I won't be out there . . . you'll get bit by the salt bug and you'll know what I mean!
:-D

Offline notfarnow

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
If you got the "self-starting not allowed in any classes" from the DLRA - I'm sorry for that.  For Production (which I race) the car must be able to start on it's own. 

Ok, great. I'll have a better sense of the "lay of the land" once I get a closer at the DLRA site and the rulebook in my hands. I'll be particularly interested in classes and what is allowed for engine swaps. It seems putting a VW diesel in a VW would be cool, but a VW diesel in a Porsche 914 could be an issue. Also, it seems that diesel engines are allowed in most production classes, but they must run on pump diesel. Dunno if there is any way around that if I want to run canola or biodiesel.

What part of the country do you live in? 

New Brunswick, just north of Maine.

And be careful how you time that family . . . my son was born August 9th . . . so if Speed Week moves earlier in the month I won't be out there . . . you'll get bit by the salt bug and you'll know what I mean!

Too funny, my wife was asking me the same questions the other day. She said I'm not going anywhere if we have an infant <3mths. After that I'm good to go. Precise timing required!
 :-D

roadtrip

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 04:10:28 PM »
I know how you feel. The excitement, enthusiasm and the dilemma. I've been fascinated with the whole salt thing since I was a kid in the '50s. I've just recently found myself in a position to do anything about it. Took one of my sons out to SpeedWeek a few years ago and got the itch to do something -- anything. After a lot of reading (mostly on this forum) and an honest look at my resources and capabilities, I decided to do USFRA 130 Club for now. Multiple trips in the same year weren't possible, I'm not sure I want to go class racing with this vehicle and all the modifications necessary, and, I didn't want to add to the clutter (my perception) at a rapidly growing SpeedWeek with a time-only car. I guess I'll deal with the effects of the salt bug later as it buries itself deeper into my psyche.
You gotta do what makes YOU happy.

DS

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 06:48:24 PM »
Hey, notfarnow,

Evil T reminded me of another LARGE cost for SpeedWeek that you don't have at USFRA (I don't think you have it at USFRA but I may be wrong) and that is your 2nd car!  That's right, unless someone comes up with something I haven't heard of (and that hasn't happened since, ohh... 11:30 or so this morning) you need two, count 'em, 2 CARS to run ONE CAR at Speedweek.  You cannot drive your race car ANYWHERE on the salt except down the race course.  Not even back to the pits.  So how do you get back into town, or your camp?  Forget that.  How do you get your car from the Big End back to the Little End?

Unlike club racing the venue is VERY BIG.  Fer instance, it's like 3 miles from the pits to the starting line, and you cannot drive your race car there.  It must be towed, or pushed, or trailered.  BTW don't count on club racers and their tech to have a clear picture of what is needed on the Salt.  Many things don't cross over.

Now the fact is, many folks drive their race cars to the salt every year.  Then they swap the tires, and/or gears and race 'em.  But you'll need to "arrange" (beer helps here) on the salt for someone to tow you, push you, and/or give you a ride back to town.  Basically be your "pal" for the week.  Usually joining a club helps a lot as does buying dinners and/or gas.  There are a bunch listed on the scta-bni.org website.  I'd suggest hooking up with one SOON.

Okay, gotta go.  It's almost cocktail hour and I've forgotten where I put the Scotch.

Later
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 07:02:42 PM »
Another thot, notfarnow. 

When I was setting up to run Bonneville with my liner I took it to an El Mirage event, not to run it, but just to tech it.  I'd suggest hooking up with ECTA and maybe running at one or two of their events in the Spring.  "Only" about 1200 miles +/- each way instead of the 2900 or so to the salt.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 10:23:41 PM »
Jim is right about the 2 vehicle issue. You need to be towed/pushed to the staging lanes and from the top end back. Based on last year that can be a 4 to 5 hour commitment for your tow/push crew which can be a problem if they are supporting another race car. A dedicated crew (minimum 1 person) is required. Beer, dinner and rooms do help.

Tom

Offline gofast

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 01:39:09 PM »
Have you thougth of going to Maxton. There is a large group from Maine and we are taking 2 cars to Maxton the last of March. We were out to Bonneville for speed week also.
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline notfarnow

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »
Such great info... the links and ideas have kept me very busy. Speed week is seen as the "Mecca", but by the sounds of it I'd get a lot more value in prepping a car for Maxton and WOS. I just wonder if a standing mile is a decent format for a diesel.

Either way, Speed week would be A LOT more prep & logistics. It would be great if I could spectate at Speed Week in '07, and run WoS in 08 with a jaunt at Maxton in between to get situated.

Plus, the more I read about classes, the less I think I could run vegetable oil in a car at Bonneville...pump Diesel only. At WoS 130 club, they specify biodiesel which is pretty damn close. I would imagine they'd let me run straight canola or peanut oil.