Author Topic: Another dreaded newbie thread  (Read 8574 times)

Offline notfarnow

• New folks
Another dreaded newbie thread
« on: February 16, 2007, 02:26:13 PM »
Where do I even begin? Literally?

I've always wanted to go to Bonneville as a spectator, and was talking with my wife & father about going to speed week in '08. My dad, being the adventurous type, said it'd be a waste to go there and not drive. My wife, being the Best Woman in the World, agreed.

I'm not looking to set a LSR. I'm not looking even looking to go faster than 120-130. I just want to go and be a part of it. I'd be looking to run a small coupe or sports car with a diesel engine swap, vw 1.6 or 1.9TD.

Here's what I know so far:
-I need a rule book before I can start thinking cars & classes. How do I get one of these elusive documents? Or, as I understand, 3 of them (shop, livingroom & bathroom ;) )
-Did I read correctly that I need to make one or more licensing runs?(I'm in Eastern Canada). Do I need to make a certain speed? How many runs?

Folks, I know you probably tire of "newbie" questions, but I have really tried to find what I could. But heck, I CAN'T EVEN GET A RULE BOOK. I've emailed the SCTA a couple times without replies, so I thought I'd try here for starters.

Where do I start? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Another dreaded newbie thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 03:15:14 PM »
First of all welcome.  New rule books will be out around March.  Qualifying runs I'm not sure about.  There are many experts here who will be able to tell you more.  I ride a bike so that puts me in the bottom feeder bracket.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »
Where do I even begin? Literally?

I've always wanted to go to Bonneville as a spectator, and was talking with my wife & father about going to speed week in '08. My dad, being the adventurous type, said it'd be a waste to go there and not drive. My wife, being the Best Woman in the World, agreed.

I'm not looking to set a LSR. I'm not looking even looking to go faster than 120-130. I just want to go and be a part of it. I'd be looking to run a small coupe or sports car with a diesel engine swap, vw 1.6 or 1.9TD.

Here's what I know so far:
-I need a rule book before I can start thinking cars & classes. How do I get one of these elusive documents? Or, as I understand, 3 of them (shop, livingroom & bathroom ;) )
-Did I read correctly that I need to make one or more licensing runs?(I'm in Eastern Canada). Do I need to make a certain speed? How many runs?

Folks, I know you probably tire of "newbie" questions, but I have really tried to find what I could. But heck, I CAN'T EVEN GET A RULE BOOK. I've emailed the SCTA a couple times without replies, so I thought I'd try here for starters.

Where do I start? Any information is greatly appreciated.

http://www.scta-bni.org/Membership.html
I don't have a rule book yet, but have learned lots by searching the boards here while I'm waiting on it to come in.

There have been some very interesting diesel entrys on the salt in the past, always good to learn from others who have been there before.

Saw this on Future Cars (Discovery Channel)
http://www.lectlaw.com/def/e024.htm

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »
You will need to join the SCTA or USFRA. Your membership will pay for and they will provide you with the new rule book. All new drivers must meet on the salt at the rookie orientation meeting. You will need to pass a safety test, very simple. Your vehicle will need to meet safety standards set by the SCTA. You will need to make at least one qualifying pass to get licensed. Sounds like your not planning on going over 150 so it will be an easy process for you. Welcome aboard, you will not meet a nicer bunch of folks who particpate in the fastest time trials in the world than those who participate out on the salt or El Mirage.
See you there,
Dave Haller #93 A/FL

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 07:35:21 PM »
Before E-mail, when my wife ran the association office and they were really poor we had a double sided page of instructions and if a rule book was appropriate we sent it along with an explanation of it's cost and the cost of membership.
Well I don't think we ever lost money on that deal and the degree of trust and level of service took a lot less time and effort than to cash the check and put them on ignore.
Mutual respect will last longer than most other methods.
Today with so many people on E-mail and puters that whole thing is as quick as the push of a button that we already own.
REMARKABLE
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 07:53:11 PM »
Welcome again!

Sounds like you have an understanding wife, so you'll need 4 copies of the Rule Book, one for the bedroom.

An understanding wife is VERY important in this Sport.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 08:28:39 PM »
LOL---Understanding wife---that is the reason I go to ballroom dance leasson every Friday since I retired---keeps the understanding level HIGH!!!!!!!!  send me a private message I have rule book I can spare
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline notfarnow

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:04:05 PM »
Wow, I really appreciate all the responses.

So to clarify, if I got a rule book and built a car to spec for a class, I could do rookie orientation and a qualifying pass at Speed Week, without having run before?

I'd be looking at 120-130 out of a VW diesel in either a Corrado or Porsche 914. From what I've read in other threads here, running biodiesel or straight vegetable oil would really bugger up the classes I could run in. I know a couple others here have kicked the idea around.

Again, I really appreciate the welcoming response. I'll do my best to search and read before pestering with NooB questions.

Jake

PS SPARKY... PM sent!

Offline cwhiteman

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 09:28:33 PM »
Sounds like the simple way for you to do what you are looking to do is run the usfra 130 club

Offline notfarnow

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 09:46:46 PM »
Sounds like the simple way for you to do what you are looking to do is run the usfra 130 club

I know, I've looked at their site and read up a bit. Seems much less complicated for those like me who want a "taste".

However, the whole point is to go to Speed Week.  I've always wanted to go... even to watch and soak it all in. I've been reading about it since I was a kid. This whole thing started over my father and I plotting an epic road trip to Speed Week. He just figures if we're there, we might as well run. Hard to argue with that... even my wife agrees.

Like I said, I'm not looking to set a record... unless they open a vegetable oil & biodiesel class. ;)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 10:03:07 PM »
So spend a month in Utah....Come to speedweek 07, drive down in your bio/d vehicle, tour the parks and take in the scenery, then run your car at WOS in the 130 club.  Not a lot of prep to do that.
THEN YOU WILL GET THE ILLNESS, THE DISEASE, THE NEED FOR SUNBURN AND CHAPPED LIPS.  YOU WILL BE CONSUMED WITH THE THOUGHT OF BEING ABLE TO GO AS FAST AS YOUR CAR CAN TAKE YOU, YOU WILL START TO SPEND MONEY AND BUILD IT FASTER, AND FASTER, AND FASTER.....IT WILL NEVER END!!!
Hey, welcome to our world
see ya on the salt.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 10:11:49 PM »
Sooo, the really good advice was to run USFRA.  You can do that for the cost of a helmet and your travel, hotel and entry fee.

To run SpeedWeek will cost you more than likely all of the above plus a couple thousand for fire systems, fire suit, roll cage, hood pins, driveshaft loop, window netting, racing seat, etc.  that's if you buy them new.  Used would of course cost less.

For 2007 I would suggest visiting Speedweek as a camper (no hotel room problems) and then going back in September to run USFRA.  If you get the bug, you'll have until World Finals to pony up the $$$ for a run at the record you are currently not interested in breaking.

My favorite "trailer" quote: "CAUTION: inside is a highly congtagious disease from which you will never recover!"

Welcome!!
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 11:06:55 PM »
Welcome, Please be cautious with the 4 rule books; thats why we don't have any now. If you are wondering what we will be checking during an inspection please look at the www.scta-bni.org  site. on your left will be a copy of an inspection check off sheet. Somethings are for all vehicles and some are specific. The items also have sections of the book for a referance when you get one.
Honda Jim gave some good advice for a newbie on the costs for a BNI event. All cars must meet many rules which cost money; so a look see and the USFRA is a good place to begin...Once again Welcome and good luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 11:09:26 PM »
Hi Notfarnow,
I've found that you don't get to see as much when you have a car entered.  You tend to get wrapped up with the wrenching and waiting in line (and not wanting to wander far from your ride.)  Plus if you are going to run a car, it really really helps to come out and see things one - watch tech (but stay out of the way! ;-), talk to some other racers, see what to bring and how things work.  Then when you come out with a car it's much more relaxing.  I can't tell you how stacks of photos I've looked at (that my friends took) and had to say "gee, I don't remember seeing that (car/bike/truck/person) . . .

If you do decide to race in August or October, your drivers license will basically allow you to run up to 149 mph - a category D license.  Any run between 125 and 149 would get you a C license, etc.  I've been racing out there for 5 years on just a CA drivers license, and have been having a blast - only gone over 100 mph once!

If you do decide to go then keep posting here online.  Lots of good advice and interesting conversation.  (You can see some of the classes by checking out DLRA's rule book - http://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm - it's based on the SCTA rules and will at least get you an intro. )

Feel free to stop by our camp (yellow trailer, big tweety bird on the front) for a drink and some shade if you make it in August.
-Eric

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »
As Evil Tweety says, a valid state drivers license is equal to a Category E Competition License and is good for under 125 MPH.

You can upgrade from there as the LSR bug bites harder.

The USFRA advice is good, particularly for basically a street car. Good way to get started.

Tom