Author Topic: mud / salt flaps  (Read 7649 times)

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
mud / salt flaps
« on: February 12, 2007, 10:34:17 PM »
Hey Guys,

Is is legit to use some simple flaps in fron of the tires and /or behind the tires to decrease the salt tossing?  :? These could be made of flexible material like reinforced nitrile or something like that.

Also has anyone used the closely made brushes (like brush-eeze) up at the top of the tire in the wheel wells of fendered stuff? I may not be looking in the right place, but I have found no reference to this in the rule books that I have looked at. 8-) :roll:

Regards to All,
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Freud

Re: mud / salt flaps
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 10:51:21 PM »
Wait until you see the salt for the year you plan to run. There are times that a car can drive 500 miles in a week on the salt and have almost no salt in the wheel wells.  A dry year would make your proposal a waste of time.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 12:06:52 AM »
The Danny Boy streamliner has brushes on the drive wheels :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 12:10:54 AM »
Run a lakester or a roadster...Then it's moot point except for the push truck.....................J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 11:01:53 AM »
Danny Boy has brushes in all four wheel wells, so does Nish. Actually, we copied him.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 03:55:30 PM »
On a subject akin to what you're discussing . . .

We use a cut-down set of motor home "whiskers" on our tow vehicle to keep some of the salt out.  The roadster has open front wheels, and, as long as we're going straight, it works fine.  It's those turns that mess things up -- sorta like taking an ungraded exit off the course.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:15:14 AM »
I cant remember which streamliner it was, but years ago during one of our really wet salt years, their salt boxes packed so full they had a steering issue at turn-out time. 
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my memory the most....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
The late Don Debring. So much salt it was like putting the brakes on. Burnt rubber on salt in the wheel wells.

DW

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 06:05:37 PM »
If I remember correctly, Don had taken the engine out of his wife's car, a Volvo I think. He then buit his own turbo system that included a provision for changing the boost pressure while under power. As the salt built up and started dragging, he didn't know what was really happening and just continued to dial in more boost until she went kaboom.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 08:31:22 PM »
The first motor for DeBring was a Fleaot and later (81) he got a sponsorship with Lincoln / Merc. for the CVC engine and it was built at Ak Miller's shop with "Big" Bill Edwards overseeing the project.
All 3 are gone now.
I wound up with all the motor stuff and the companion doorslammer LN7 but never used the engine CVC package.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 10:05:02 PM »
Dan, didn't you guys deny a new streamliner from competing about ten years ago for inadequate clearance between the tires and tubs, or am I suffering delusions again.  Seems like they were from Michigan or someplace where nobody should have to live.  Peopld don't realize how abrasive salt is until they physicaly see it.
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 10:27:09 PM »
If you handle the salt wrong, it will fill whatever tire space you just thought you had.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 07:14:51 AM »
Are the chrome trucker lady mudflaps speed rated?

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 08:37:45 AM »
I don't recall denying someone to run. Not in my program. I think that maybe suggestions from experienced people may have made them rethink their design.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 09:22:44 AM »
Are the chrome trucker lady mudflaps speed rated?

Some are rated but I don't think it is for speed.
The flaps with the chrome figure of a guy are rated different for example.

As for salt brushes on a racer tire you gotta figure where it is going to go next when you turn it loose.
It might be good to keep it there and maybe not.
A slick/flexible surface won't let it build as much up.
You are actually going to pick up most of it on the unprepared turnouts and during the towing operation.
Then is when you can decide what and where it is and leave it or clean it before a run.
Sometimes it can be your friend and limit the amount of low pressure air you have pocketed to carry along or at least highlight it for you.
 The clean spot tells you something else.