Author Topic: Motorcycle sprocket material?  (Read 16025 times)

Super Kaz

Re: Motorcycle sprocket material?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 08:22:30 PM »
First I want to thank Firemanjim for the link. I used it for a sportster I am building and it was a big help. The numbers were a little different then I had come up with, but it showed me I was in the ballpark.  :-D
I'm gearing for 170 mph with 10% wheel spin at 7000 rpm. If any of the motorcycle guys see a problem here I'd appreciate any feedback... 8-)

I ran the numbers for the v-rod and came up with 335.23 mph. But, will a v-rod pull 10,000 rpm? The only variable I had was the tire size and I guessed at 25.75.

G
Using my ( spread sheet ) and  the 25.75 tire dia. and the rest of the gear ratios and primary drive off the other site I got 325 mph (I didn't adjust for tire growth or slippage) at 10,000 rpm.

The spread sheet shows if you shifted at 10,000 (seems very high to me for that type motor) the following:

1st --- 10,000 rpm --- 134 mph and will drop 3300 rpm going into 2nd
2nd --- 10,000 rpm --- 200 mph and will drop 2000 rpm going into 3rd
3rd --- 10,000 rpm --- 250 mph and will drop 1340 rpm going into 4th
4th --- 10,000 rpm --- 290 mph and will drop 1039 rpm going into 5th
5th --- 10,000 rpm --- 325 mph

Now without changing anything on the spread sheet you can look at a 7000 rpm red line and get the following:

1st --- 7000 rpm --- 93 mph and will drop 2325 rpm going into 2nd
2nd --- 7,000 rpm --- 140 mph and will drop 1421 rpm going into 3rd
3rd --- 7,000 rpm --- 175 mph and will drop 940 rpm going into 4th
4th --- 7,000 rpm --- 205 mph and will drop 734 rpm going into 5th
5th --- 7,000 rpm --- 226 mph

I realize using my spread sheet might not be as easy at first as the other on-line calculators, but once you do you will see you have all of the important info (what JackD is talking about) right in front of you and you can print it out and change just one thing at a time and see immediately how it effects all of the gear changes.  Most importantly the rpm drop that lets you see if you are falling out of the power band.

Try it and I think you will like it.  If you don't know how to load a spreadsheet get someone to help you the first time. Pretty soon you will be making your own and these can be as important tuning as anything in your tool box.  That also goes for you car guys.  I have them for 3 speeds through 6 speeds and sometime in the future I'll add a place to put in an intermediate jack-shaft ratio and also a place to put in a factor for tire growth and slippage if someone wants that too.

c ya,

Sum

Great Now I'm gonna have to learn to count too! :-P DOHC V Twin's can/will spin allot Higher then that  :evil:but as Mr. JackD Said it's best to keep it running a while so 10k will be my redline.It's a Turbo Bike so you have to ride them a LITTLE Differently"So I'm Told :mrgreen:",and Short shift them into Top Gear ASAP!!! :?The Gentlemen that Told me this "Jason and John" seem to know a little More about going 250+mph on a Motorcycle then just about anyone else I know. 8-) So I'll see how it goes this year :??

P.S
 Thats weird because I went 195mph in 4th Gear"Left Foot got Blown off Peg",and could only go 201 in 5th because it was blowing the tire away :x!I think I have that FIXED NOW,but we shall see.......