Author Topic: Streamliner  (Read 28967 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Streamliner
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2007, 06:01:48 PM »
So again, how fast has this thing run..?

BTW Kent :mrgreen: 400 hp to 240 mph on a busa..

Kent, don't string him along.
Your car is already faster than the projections for the bomb with way less than  1/2 claimed power.
Oh and the Busa also.

"I think he tried to steal more chain than he could swim the river with."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2007, 08:55:44 PM »
yeh but i got the pipe bender, welder, and all the other stuff needed in getting it legal ta run. put them stones in my pipe bender and i'll win every time.
kr
1650 sbg and sbf is a kenny lyon records. I like kenny and dont really want to run on my friends records but i think the record is doable with this machine

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2007, 09:14:29 PM »
The Existing SCTA Record speeds can be exceeded with an open bike.
The voices they hear are not to be taken as gospel.

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
jack,
no stringin.. i'll race it! and i'll beat the livin snot out of all them 700 horses.
love ya
kent!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2007, 09:28:38 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to stone him too. Are ya sure it ain't 1000 hp?
You guys are trying too hard to convert stuff. Just type it into Google

Darn thing will convert almost anything.
Speaking of measurements. Oliver Smoot was Chairman of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and President of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). But what is he REALLY famous for?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2007, 10:50:03 PM »
364.4 Smoots and one ear.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2007, 11:29:49 PM »
Excellent!
The smoot is a nonstandard unit of length created as part of an MIT fraternity prank. It is named after an MIT fraternity pledge to Lambda Chi Alpha, Oliver R. Smoot (class of 1962), who in October, 1958 was used by his fraternity brothers to measure the length of the Harvard Bridge between Boston and Cambridge, Massachusetts. One smoot is equal to his height (five feet and seven inches -- 1.70 m), and the bridge's length was measured to be "364.4 smoots plus one ear". Smoot repeatedly laid down on the bridge, let his companions mark his new position in chalk or paint, and then got up again. Eventually, he tired from all this exercise and was thereafter carried by the fraternity brothers to each new position. Everyone walking across the bridge today sees painted markings indicating how many smoots they are from the Boston-side river bank. The marks are repainted each year by the incoming associate member class (similar to pledge class) of Lambda Chi Alpha.
The markings have become well-accepted by the public, to the point that during the bridge renovations that occurred in the 1980s, the Cambridge Police department requested that the markings be maintained, since they had become useful for identifying the location of accidents on the bridge. The renovations went one better, by scoring the concrete surface of the sidewalk on the bridge at 5 feet and 7 inch intervals, instead of the conventional six feet.
So instead of running 5 miles at Bonneville, now it can be 4,728.35821 smoots :-D
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2007, 11:40:15 PM »
In San Diego  ( The birthplace of Over the Line) the field is measured by the numbered paces of the originator.
The width of the track at Bonneville is often measured in "Sorta Smoots".

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2007, 04:08:45 AM »
Hi John,
We have only run to 130mph so far.  Building and refining has been more important than speed testing up to now. We hope to raise the game this year as  the prototype is now pretty well complete.  The Busa motor is turbocharged and intercooled.  The guy that is building us the 700hp motor ran 257mph top speed in the UK last year with one in his streetbike (road legal).  We hope to get the Acabion on the road soon, and I am looking at the possibilities of doing that in the UK, as Germany is difficult if you are not a recognised manufacturer.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!