Author Topic: Streamliner  (Read 28977 times)

bak189

Re: Streamliner
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 04:47:28 PM »
Guttley728.......from this transplanted Yank (born Dutch)
well said and .....Amen...................

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
The Ecomobile turbocharged model does over 200 mph off the showroom floor and, as I understand it, was TUV approved.  There is or was a racing series in Europe for Ecosmobile, so some governing body must feel they are safe.  And should one wash out, it spins around on the stabilizer wheel, when it stops you lower the stabilizers to raise it up and take off again.  Built in steel roll and crash protection.  So . . . . does this run MPS or streamliner?  Or, nothing at all?

When it spins or wash's out  it spins on the stabilizer wheel and when it stops you just raise it up and continue on, Built in steel roll cage etc. I don't know how many you have seen spin at speed but they don't spin around on a wheel. The lose air and they, fly, flip spin for a long way. I have seen many over the years as the timer at Bonneville and have been on every rescue since 1983. There is a lot more to a race vehicle then a roll cage. There is no mention of a drag chute, fire system and other requirements called for in the SCTA/BNI rule book. I think more information should be supplied for many of us to believe the claims.
I am not knocking the design or what they are after  just believe in race course proven results.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
I seem to recall a Shelby advertisement headline about some Dodge they were running, "with speeds approaching 200 mph this car..." The car was tested at 160. Yep, I guess if your moving your approaching 200 or even 300 mph.

I wish them well on the project.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tortoise

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »
To Dean and the bystander, why be so negative when you have so little knowledge about the vehicle?  Do you enjoy criticising for the sake of it? What harm has Dr Maskus done to you, or anyone for that matter?  Is it because he is not American? 
To quote from the web site:

" Even at 600 km/h the Acabion is still efficient"

Is efficient, not might be efficient at 600km/h if it had the tires, the horsepower, the traction, the luck, the courage of a skilled pilot. Do you not see how disrespectful this is of the brilliant racers who toiled and risked their lives for years, the fastest of which has gone "only" about 572 km/h? 

If you are sincerely trying to help your revered Doktor Maskus, perhaps you should suggest to him that his promotional materials not leave him open to justified ridicule.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 06:32:02 PM by tortoise »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 06:48:14 PM »
I seem to recall a Shelby advertisement headline about some Dodge they were running, "with speeds approaching 200 mph this car..." The car was tested at 160. Yep, I guess if your moving your approaching 200 or even 300 mph.

I wish them well on the project.
I sorta knocked off all the Dodge Shelby Charger NA records with an unsponsored Ford product.
We had a 3x5 promotional decal featuring the Charger with black tape diagonal through it on the front fender.
I went on to other things but not before somebody gave us a turbo version of the Dodge to have a little fun with.
What happened to it is even funnier.

And so it goes.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 07:59:38 PM »
G'day,

"Dreamer" is a spot-on assessment.

The Philosophy sections of the web site place this enterprise in Think-Tank realms.
This one happens to get close to the hearts of Landspeed's audience because it's a Streamliner.

There's another world of these: enterprises, research labs, think-tanks. Products drop out every once in a while and sometimes become part of mainstream life. I see it a bit in the IT industry, especially trying to keep up with Quantum Computing. Want your mind done-over, try reading some of the dreamers working on that stuff. Claims like: the question of "what is consciousness" will be resolved.

Sure the claims seem far fetched, but they're necessary for the philosophy of this dreamer enterprise.
During our time in history you should adjust to expect this sort thing interrupting the cosy ideas you've grown up with.
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline ack

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 09:46:43 PM »
I have run across a number of dreamers in my day.  One or two have made their dreams into a reality.  There is nothing wrong with dreaming and having a passion for something.  It?s when that dream clouds all concept of reality that dreamers become crackpots. In the case of those that endeavor to entice people to invest in their dreams no matter how improbable they know the dreams are is when they become scammers.

I have followed Moller?s Sky Car for years.  It has been just about ready for full flight tests for about 20 years with production shortly following, currently for something like 50 K each.  He has been collecting money from gullible folks for years and still is, even though he was busted by the state for selling unlicensed securities a while back.

The Moller Sky Car is going to carry 4 people, go 375 mph and go 750 miles at speed on 37.5 gallons of ethanol.  It is supposed to climb at 6000 feet per minute carry a 750 lb payload to 36,000 feet with full fuel and have a gross weight of 2600 lbs.  Any one who believes this is either a fool or also thinks they know where the oil companies hid the 300 mpg carburetor.

I don?t? know if Dr Maskus is doing this with his own money if so I applaud him and more power to him.  If he is trying to entice investors to finance this dream with outrages claims then I say Caveat Emptor.

Many of the claims made on the Acabion website are just as absurd as the Sky Car and if this is truly a sincere endeavor these claims distract from what is trying to be accomplished.

One picture on the website shows a picture of the Acabion whizzing along an elevated ramp about 10 feet wide at 280 mph.  I know very well what a low velocity gusting cross wind will do to a streamliner.  This just doesn?t make sense.

My advice to the Acabion folks would be: hold your cards close to you vest and either fold or ante up or as Tuco said in The Good the Bad and the Ugly ?if your gona shoot shoot don?t talk?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 10:59:13 PM »
Caveat Emptor is a shade of red you just have to see to believe.
I don't think it is commercially available yet.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 11:13:32 PM »
Just catching up on what I figgered was a dead post.

After all, you can only comment on a hoax subject before (I soitenly hope) EVERYBODY realizes the claims are "toro de caca.

Now Jack's dazzled us ALL with Latin!

Planning on buying my FISH carburetor, tomorrow!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »
Ack started it  !!!
DEJA  MOO

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2007, 08:20:22 AM »
To Ack, yes it is his own money.  To Glen, the intention is not to go to Bonneville, but to develop the Acabion for the road, in the same way as the Ecomobile, but more extreme.  I met you Glen in 2003 (or 2004?) at Speed Week, and signed the beam!  You are a star!  The Acabion is a great, fun vehicle, and is a prototyope for his concept of travel.  My experiences of driving it so far have been that...great fun!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2007, 03:13:51 PM »
G'day,

"Dreamer" is a spot-on assessment.

????? can someone translate me this in "other" English words.....I know what assessment is, but I can't translate this combination "spot-on....", sometimes you guys forgot that I'm a German :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2007, 04:38:17 PM »
"spot-on"  is similar in meaning and intent to "on-target", or perhaps "exactly correct".   
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2007, 05:48:15 PM »
"spot-on"  is similar in meaning and intent to "on-target", or perhaps "exactly correct".   

ZACLEY ! ( That is an American translation from English)  :wink:

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 03:57:55 AM »
Jack,
 Quotes aside, what do you actually think of the Acabion? At the moment it is a vehicle to carry two people and some luggage.  It has a 360hp Suzuki engine, with a steel trellis frame surrounded by a carbon fibre and fibreglass shell.  The shape is similar to a glider, and reasonably narrow in profile.  The Cd is less than 0.20. It steers precisely and tracks well.  When on two wheels it is stable, even in winds of approaching twenty miles an hour (as tested by me).  Carrying two people creates far less reaction than having a pillion on a normal motorcycle.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!