Author Topic: Streamliner  (Read 28974 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Streamliner
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 11:02:06 PM »
Dolan a "post whore"?  Why I never thought of him in those terms, more like a purveyor of literary expertise, with a side order of ocaisional facts.  He sure does have a lot of points though. :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 11:29:15 PM »
My neighbors great Dane can help them if they want to wash the windscreen.
I'll tell him it's a fire hydrant.
They probably have a dog bone in their lunch box for his treat.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
I am the person in the picture taken by Pork Pie, who tested the Acabion last year, and invited Pork Pie to come and take some images for the Speed Record Club. I feel sad that you make nasty remarks about someone you have never met, or know anything about.  Yes, the claims seem ridiculous, but as Richard Thomason says, wait to see the results.  It is one man's dream to design a vehicle for the future, and he has gone and made it, whatever the result.  It is a superbly engineered machine, though still just a fourth prototype.  Pork Pie saw the first runs, and left before we got more serious on the second day when the journalists had gone.  The Acabion is far more sophisticated than the Ecomobile and the Peraves, and will soon be ready to set down some genuine performance data.  All I ask is that you give this guy a chance.  Two other points for your information.  Dr Maskus is a long-time motorcyclist, owning several Suzuki Hyabusa and Kawasaki ZX12Rs.  He has worked for Porsche and Mercedes, and he is actually exceedingly intelligent.  Secondly, the Acabion has two small rollcages built into the frame (remember it is a prototype), which would not satisfy the SCTA for Speed Week, but would not prevent the machine being used on the road.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 03:14:51 PM »
An important consideration is that it be designed to slide out of traffic when it falls down so as to limit the damage to only the operator.
The rest you can always story up to save face. :|

NOTE TO SELF: Stop being so nice, somebody could get hurt.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline guttley782

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 03:40:50 PM »
Jack,
That is a witty remark, which misses the point. The Acabion is not the first enclosed vehicle with two wheels to be made. Why treat it differently to them? Maybe you have never seen the Ecomobile in America...? Surely you know the sorts of questions that headline hungry journalists ask....just give them what they want?
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 03:44:02 PM »
I feel sad that you make nasty remarks about someone you have never met, or know anything about. 

Hello Gabriel, hope this comment was not about my note.........dreamer.......

Dr. Maskus, yes he is a dreamer, he had a dream and he build this dream, so as all the racers at the salt.

The concept is well designed, but I don't think that he can reach the promised speed, therefore the aerodynamic on the prototype I saw was too "bulky", but it's a safe and comfortable design. One time I was for a ride in the passenger seat behind Gabriel, and I felt very comfortable, the most surprise for me, that the engine, which was directly behind my back, was very smooth and quite.
If I have a concern on this project, and I mentioned this when I was on the airfield (unfortunately as you, Gabriel,  wrote, I have leave too early) it's not the bike but the the rider of this bike. To ride this vehicle in public traffic it needs the right character............... :|

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline guttley782

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »
Hello Pork Pie,
Since you clarified your remark, I was indeed not aiming at you.  You at least have seen the Acabion, and understand Peter's motives and excellent machine.  When we get it on the road, hopefully this year, we can set up some data to use for real.  It may not match up to the theories, but what the heck..at least we tried!  Future transport must be a radical change from the present, and Dr Maskus has at least made his dream. He is to be admired, not ridiculed.  His claims are nowhere near 'the one that got away@!!!!!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »
Nobody asked me what I meant with my note...."dreamer"...... :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline k.h.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »
The Ecomobile turbocharged model does over 200 mph off the showroom floor and, as I understand it, was TUV approved.  There is or was a racing series in Europe for Ecosmobile, so some governing body must feel they are safe.  And should one wash out, it spins around on the stabilizer wheel, when it stops you lower the stabilizers to raise it up and take off again.  Built in steel roll and crash protection.  So . . . . does this run MPS or streamliner?  Or, nothing at all?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 05:49:21 PM »
Yes, the claims seem ridiculous, but as Richard Thomason says, wait to see the results.
They don't seem ridculous, they are ridiculous. You could just as easily claim 1000 kph, 2000 kph or the speed of light.
Show me a speed that has actually been done, with certification. The rest is bull&$%.
Fraud artists make claims that can't be backed up. Manufacturers quote real speeds.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »
TOUGH CROWD !  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 06:21:32 PM »
Wait! I know where I've heard this same crap before!
From the Acabion web site:
Who says "It will not work" actually tells you "I cannot imagine it".

Most obstacles for new solutions are inside our brains - not in missing technology.

Anyhow. Are not especially the things we enjoy most in our lifes always things we could not imagine before?
The Moller Skycar:
http://www.moller.com/

That's the January 1991 cover and it STILL hasn't flown. Hasn't stopped them from sucking in investor dollars.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 06:31:27 PM »
Facts are friendly.  All else is suspect.  Ridiculous claims are just ridiculous.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »
I s there another adjective beyound ludicrous? Maybe Falacious? (SP?)

As I say to all claim-makers    - SHOW ME YOUR TIME SLIP!!!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline guttley782

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 02:35:54 PM »
To some people it is the making that provides the most satisfaction.  To Dean and the bystander, why be so negative when you have so little knowledge about the vehicle?  Do you enjoy criticising for the sake of it? What harm has Dr Maskus done to you, or anyone for that matter?  Is it because he is not American?  The Acabion will be proven in time, and I know, having met Mike Ackatiff, that if he met Dr Maskus and saw the Acabion he would understand the concept and approve.  Thrust SSC had it's detractors, as did Howard Hughes, Leonardo De Vinci.......Hopefully we will make the long trek over to Bonneville when we are ready, and then Thomas will be able to say yes or no. To John, what actual knowledge do you have to be able to say it is ridiculous?  Have you ridden it, or even seen it?  I reserve my judgement on the final figures, but I am willing to give it a go.  Better to try than do nothing.