Author Topic: what meets are OK for licensing  (Read 4816 times)

Offline panchop

what meets are OK for licensing
« on: February 04, 2007, 01:02:09 AM »
my goal is of course Bonneville but having never done LSR i need to get licensed. What meets can I go to to start making licensing passes. If I understand it. Even though my goal is to run an A/BG or APS/BG bike I can bring  a production bike to a meet for licensing passes. ie. I can ride a modified ZX-12 or Hayabusa at the Texas Mile to get thru my D/C licensing passes?
thanks
Greg

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: what meets are OK for licensing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:31:01 AM »
Hey, Greg, I was gonna say yes -- until you mentioned you want to do your licensing passes at the Texas Mile.  I haven't run there -- so don't know if passes there will qualify you for licenses elsewhere. 

Otherwise -- passes on a 'Busa or 12R at the Salt or at Mxton or at El Mirage can get you up to a "B" license (that is, assuming you work your way to over 175).  Then take off the fairing and give 'er hell.  Have you spent time at speed on a naked bike?  Make a pass or two that way before you go balls-to-the-walls.  As I so often say, don't ask how I know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 12:57:17 PM »
You will need to be licensed at Bonneville, other venues don't count because of surface types and distance.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 03:35:02 PM »
sorry glenn, you can license at the red headed step sister facility; aka Maxton. ;) The SCTA recognizes the efforts of the folks at maxton in regard to licensing, but not technical inspection, as I have learned from the folks here. both bodies require different log books, but share licensing. part of the reason the ECTA was formed.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 05:04:37 PM »
Glen,

I licensed up at Elmo prior to B-ville...

J

Offline bbb

• JorNic Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 08:15:43 PM »
and if you can make the trips over pan, thats your best bet.
however.... lines are long. vehicles are plenty for newB's.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 11:39:51 AM »
Panchop,
You would of course need to get both bikes entered and inspected to use them for licensing.  Is there a reason you don't want to get some seat time on the salt in your race bike?
You will need to make a 125 to 150 rookie pass on the short course, (saturday afternoon) go back to the line stay in staging
Make your 150 to 175 pass probably by 11 Sunday morning, get back in line, do all your work in line, not the pits.  You will probably get your over 175 pass Sunday or early Monday at the latest.  Get your 175 sticker and get in the long course line.  Should be able to attempt your over 2 pass Monday, and your record backup Tuesday morning.  And you know how your bike handles before you try to go as fast as you can.
OK, that is the perfect world.  But it is possible and you will want all the salt seat time you can get on your race bike.
Is there a reason you don't want to use you racer?  If it is to fragile for that many passes, you will probably hate Bonneville...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline panchop

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 05:53:08 PM »
the race bike is under construction. figured to go to the Texas mile anyhow. got a ZX-12 and a busa  just sitting around needing some exercise so...

bak189

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »
Run the BUB all M/C meet....make one easy pass to get the feel of the salt............get back in line and go for it........short lines and many runs

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »
Has the report from the BUB event been short lines and few runs ?
I thought I just read that again today.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline bbb

• JorNic Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
greg, call my mobile when you get a chance.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »
Jack, Bub was not short lines and no waiting this year unless you had a streamliner...

PanChop, just make sure your licensing bike meets tech if you plan to do it on the salt.  Don't have info if Texas even uses a license, when we went last year they just let people run what they could.

Come on out to the salt and have fun, if you go to Speed Week, you have all week, World of Speed meet in September is short lines, our longest wait was 40 minutes, very friendly, about 50 race vehicles and another 50 fun runners (but they run on a seperate course)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O