Author Topic: Roll cage design  (Read 30948 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Roll cage design
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »
The reference to Juris and the Corvette in the context of the discussion could be taken no other way.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline poppy

• New folks
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »
I get the feeling that Jack D and Jimmy six are not 'close personal friends', and not just from this series of posts. Is is just a 'car vs bike' thing, or is there more to it?

Poppy

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 07:11:39 PM »
Some time with a search around here, a study of the rule book, and records might help to quantify it.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2007, 08:10:55 PM »
Poppy, I don't know whether J.D. and Dolan are best friends or not, but the whole premiss of this site is to promote open discussion about Land Speed Racing.  This means we all are going to have our own view points based on experience, fact, rumors, inuendo, and lies people have told us that we foolishly believe.  The fact that we get irritated with one another or argue some mundane point has nothing to do with our caring about each other.  When Jack was in the hospital, there were lots of get well messages on this site from  LSR racers, some who seemingly never agree with what he has to say.  The beauty of this site, is we can all argue a point and sure as shit, someone will respond with a view point that puts it all in perspective.  Bob (I have pissed off my share, but dislike no one) Drury.
Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2007, 10:19:44 PM »
Carl, Bob is right, you've probably got family, ever scrap with your brother?
None of us want to see the Carl "wish I'd done it differently" Johansson Rule in the book down the road.
Everyone here has a sense of humor, and displays it differently.  Some stir the pot, some call names, some talk in riddles, but all want you to race safely, if for no other reason than it slows the meet when someone crashes.....see.... just kidding.
It appears you are headed the correct direction, so you don't need any advice from me other than build it tougher than it needs to be, it's your life on the line.
Bob "Stainless" Steele

Who is keeping track of commas?  Did I use enough?  I'm thinking maybe 1 too many, but who's counting....oh yea, now I remember...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2007, 11:01:06 PM »
Thanks guys -  when I get this thing done I want all of you to come by and take a look -  I think I will do you guys proud!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2007, 11:10:43 AM »
Want a reason to proofread stuff?  Here's a cut-and-paste from a note I sent to someone else...

"20 years or so ago I received a ticket from the cops for having a Fuzzbuster in my car.  The applicable Michigan law said that they were prohibited except in three instances:  A;  If the user had a permit from the law (as might be granted to a news reporter); B: If the user was a peace officer; OR if the user was a licensed radio amateur.

I went to court with the ticket -- I'm a radio ham, and was at that time, too.  The prosecutor was all smiles when he walked in -- he knew he was going to win, because he had read the law to say "A, B, AND C".  He presented his argument to the judge, and then it was my turn.  I said "Your honor, while I'm not sure what the writers of the law intended, the law clearly says A, B, OR C.  Maybe we need an English teacher to help us understand just what the legislature meant when they wrote the law.

The judge heard me out, then considered for a while, and upon returning to the courtroom, said to the prosecutor (in effect):  Jon is right, you're wrong, case dismissed."

A careful reading of what was written saved me a fine, some points on my license, and a confiscated radar detector.  I've been prettry careful about proofing what I've written ever since...and suggest that it isn't just a waste of time for others, either.

PS  I proofread for the sake of safety, too.  I hope my efforts will help someone this year.

PPS  Unh, Bob, you used more than one too many, but -- I understood the intent of what you said, and that's important, too. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »
Damn comma police, anyway.............. :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 01:00:47 PM »
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!  It feels good to get that off my chest!  I'll be more careful in the future.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2007, 01:25:43 PM »
7.14b: All commas must be safety wired or secured by other visually verifiable means.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2007, 01:43:03 PM »
Jon,

I had a College Business Professor the you would have appreciated. We had 3 term papers and the Final test to determine our grades. On the papers, normally 3-4 pages, we were marked 1/3rd off for each gramatical or spelling error. Everyone in the class had at least one zero. We formed proof reading groups to look at each others papers. We read them front to back, back to front and sometimes upside down. Some stuff still got through but not much.

A big problem with "Spellcheck" on computers is that you can have a valid word that is totally out of context.

A quick story. I worked at an Aerospace company. We received an order for a part. The sales order was transcribed from the PO. The description was "BOAT" I assumed is was for a "BOLT". The part turned out to be a "BOOT". I learned to never make assumptions like that.

Tom

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2007, 02:26:59 PM »
Okay, my turn (again).  My sister translates German articles and stories into English, and recenlty was hired to proofread a book on health foods.  She missed only one, she reports, but that one was a good 'un:

It was supposed to say that the reader should eat "organic rolled oats".  Unfortunately she missed something -- and the first letter of that last word lost the "o" and gained an "r".  Big difference!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
 . . . . proof reading for spelling is important but sometimes even that isn't enough.  Years ago I heard about an error in a national defense system.  I am not sure if the tale is true or just an urban legend but it makes a point worth considering.  In the computer code for a launch sequence there was apparently a point where someone or something analyzed the situation and decided if the missile should be fired or not fired.   Somewhere in the computer code there an instruction sent to the screen.  There was a problem ? not with spelling but with the words that were used.  The message that appeared on the screen was something like
?   ?Target analysis complete.  The missile may now be launched.? 
Nice simple statement . . . all spelled correctly, clear and easy to understand.  Unfortunately there was a typo.  The message was supposed to say. 
?   ?Target analysis complete.  The missile may not be launched.? 

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 06:46:14 PM »
When you can?t type, can?t spell and your English is marginal, spell check, proof reading and the hand of God, may not be enough.  After analysis I would likely receive, ?The message may NOT be launched"!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »
Jon W. sure got this off subject. From roll bars to a comedy of the comma. Sure must be cold up there for Jon to spend the day being the comedy cop, right Bob D. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah