Author Topic: Roll cage design  (Read 30953 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

Re: Roll cage design
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 11:08:36 PM »
I never said Autopower was too expensive -My cage will cost 2X as much as they charge (if their website price was correct) -  after I pay for plane flights etc!    I said I chose not to go that route for 2 very good reasons.  Both had to do with private comments I had recieved from very experienced racers.  I'm not here to debate how good or bad Autopower is -  I simply choose to go another way!

So I come here and ask a simple question -  about wether it is appropriate to weld a cross bar along the front window line.  I get advise on building my own seat, buying other peoples designs, and how to correctly pick my number -
 I get castigated for not taking advise -  I'm not sure why -  the one guy who answered my question -  I took his advise -  so why am I getting blasted for not taking advise -  I wasn't asking about where to buy a roll cage -  i asked a simple question about design?

Carl "Worked on the car and bike all day saturday had the pleasure of meeting Doug Odom today - what did you guys do this weekend? Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 11:49:41 PM »
"Two private comments are no more valuable than comments on two private parts.
 Checking yourself for results first would be a good next step.
Bragging or complaining are about the same but you owe to yourself to also check."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 08:45:51 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen -- before you get on your high horses and scold me about my comments on punctuation (and spelling and syntax and grammar, etc) -- remember that ignorance of these simple basics is an example of what you did not learn as you grew up.  If you didn't learn basics -- what else did you not learn?  And if you did learn them but  choose not to use them -- well, that implies laziness in self-expression.  I choose not to broadcast my ignorance if at all possible, and certainly I won't brag about it as if it were a positive aspect.  It does not take much time to spell correctly (vs. incorrectly) and sometime -- just maybe -- a misspelling can have serious negative consequences.

If you don't know any better, well, too bad for you.  If you do, but are not willing to try to be correct -- I take that as a slap in the virtual face to all who read your writings.  Why not try to be correct?

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tortoise

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 09:49:32 AM »
"Idiom: On your high horse
Definition:
When someone is on their high horse, they are being inflexible, arrogant and will not make any compromises."

Your fellow in pedantry,
tortoise

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »
TOU CHE
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 10:24:35 AM »
Carl
during this last few days of asking and getting answers you don't like you have failed to tell any of us what your background is in any type of motor sports. Are you a builder, driver, fabricator, crew member or what. It might help if we knew a little about your background when trying to help. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 10:38:56 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen -- before you get on your high horses and scold me about my comments on punctuation (and spelling and syntax and grammar, etc) -- remember that ignorance of these simple basics is an example of what you did not learn as you grew up.  If you didn't learn basics -- what else did you not learn?  And if you did learn them but  choose not to use them -- well, that implies laziness in self-expression.  I choose not to broadcast my ignorance if at all possible, and certainly I won't brag about it as if it were a positive aspect.  It does not take much time to spell correctly (vs. incorrectly) and sometime -- just maybe -- a misspelling can have serious negative consequences.

If you don't know any better, well, too bad for you.  If you do, but are not willing to try to be correct -- I take that as a slap in the virtual face to all who read your writings.  Why not try to be correct?

Jon when you have a few minutes would you mind going through my site and proof reading it for me  :-o 8-) :lol: :-P :evil: :wink:.???????????????????

c ya,

Sum

P.S. Thanks tortoise I got it fixed  :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:14:06 PM by Sumner »

Offline tortoise

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »
Jon when you have a few minutes would you mind going through my site and proof reading it for me  :-o 8-) :lol: :-P :evil: :wink:.

c ya,

Sum
question mark

noun
a punctuation mark (?) placed at the end of a sentence to indicate a question 

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 11:50:53 AM »
DO NOT FEED THE PIGEONS    :wink:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:05:48 PM by JackD »

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 12:35:34 PM »
"Two private comments are no more valuable than comments on two private parts.
 Checking yourself for results first would be a good next step.
Bragging or complaining are about the same but you owe to yourself to also check."
What?
 In terms of checking for myself -  isn't that what I did?  i went to multiple sources and asked alot of questions -  I looked at several Salt Flats cars and asked them about their cages, exactly what else should I do?

I'm guessing Rick is a personal friend of yours -  I have no problem with that -  I just simply chose to go another route -  after talking with several other people.  Not sure why thats such a big issue for you.

Very clever -  the 2 private comments 2 private parts comment -  it has nothing to do with this discussion -  but I understand how you just couldn't resist!

Carl "when I want Jacks comments on my private parts -  I'll ask for them -  thank you very much!" Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »
Carl, If you would like I can put you in touch with Bobby Moore and his bunch. They have had their Corvettes over 270 mph. They have had no trouble passing inspection for many, many years. They do run 2 different year cars. I'm sure he would be glad to help and tell/show you what his cage looks like. Many years ago Juris Minndenberg lost limbs in his Corvette in an unfortunate accident. Many of the rule were changed after that incedent, like they usually do.   Good Luck..J.D.

PS: Pay no attention to the bickering that goes on here. Some retired folks have nothing better to do...Not you Glen.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 01:08:10 PM »
Always trying to have the last word is pointless.  Trying to have the last word when your outnumbered and outguned is fruitless.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 02:25:54 PM »
Carl, If you would like I can put you in touch with Bobby Moore and his bunch. They have had their Corvettes over 270 mph. They have had no trouble passing inspection for many, many years. They do run 2 different year cars. I'm sure he would be glad to help and tell/show you what his cage looks like. Many years ago Juris Minndenberg lost limbs in his Corvette in an unfortunate accident. Many of the rule were changed after that incedent, like they usually do.   Good Luck..J.D.

PS: Pay no attention to the bickering that goes on here. Some retired folks have nothing better to do...Not you Glen.

I am familiar with the moore car -  a c-4 like mine -  record holder.  I would love to touch base with them on a number of issues i'm having -  if you could provide me with contact information I would really appreciate it.

Carl Johansson
birdbrain13@gmail.com is my e-mail
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »
Always trying to have the last word is pointless.  Trying to have the last word when your outnumbered and outguned is fruitless.

Your right -  but it doesn't matter -  Jack will be chiming in here any minute -  got to admire his tenacity even if he is outgunned and outnumbered!

carl "not me -  I'm not the last Mohican" Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
Don't worry "Always rite" Jack already replied personaly to me telling me about the rules changes after Juris incedent...Too bad he didn't read what I said prior to sending me a personal message....Some how he thinks I was refering to roll cages changes which I never said and didn't even imply...But Jack is always rite.....No worrys
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro