Author Topic: Roll cage design  (Read 30950 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

Roll cage design
« on: February 02, 2007, 10:18:16 PM »
I'm putting a 6 point cage into an 88 vette.  The rule book seems to provide very little guidance on design for a coupe (closed in) vehicle.

So I'm going to put in the standard 4 point roll bar that goes right behind the drivers hear -  but instead of a 1 piece halo or hoop -  I'm thinking it would give me more headroom (and possibly more support incase of an oopsie) so I would run a tube from the front crushpoint up along the A piller  then along the headliner back to the roll bar.  I would replicate this on the other side - then tie the 2 sides together by welding in a cross member along the front window roofline. (I would put in door bars gussetts etc)

This is not my WAG design -  I'm starting to see it more and more often in the C-4 vettes because of headroom issues.  Anyone have any inkling what the Tech inspectors may say?

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Roll cage design
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:47:17 PM »
Carl, I would try to make sure your helment does no stick up above the bar---I have seen that in Corvettes before with tall drivers---the insp. are begining to take a dim view of such..There has been talk of requiring almost full cages in all cars.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 11:06:01 PM »
Part of that problem can be alleviated by installing a lower racing seat, but make sure there is something under the floor to support it (check the rule book).
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 11:17:22 PM »
Call Rick White at AUTOPOWER (619-297-3300), he is in the business and has been going to Bonneville since he was a kid.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 01:54:01 PM »
The head above the rollcage is unaceptable - to me.  Putting in a race seat doesn't nessisarily help -  you would think thqat taking out the factory seat and mounts removes about 4 inches of stuff above the floorboard -  but the problem is when you put in a race seat -  at least a corbeau -  with their supposed custom mounting rack ( I'll give you a hint -  it ain't custom -  and it doesn't work unless you are looking for big time mods).

essentially the race seat mounts straight up -  that cancels out any gain from getting lower to the floor -  you need to shim up the seat -  but if you are running a corbeau seat - you can't shim it up and still have the seat sliding on the rails -  because of clearance issues with the nuts and bolts -  (are you detecting a corbeau = POS and no customer support theme here?)

To shim up the front of the mount to give you a little rearward lean would work -  except corvette mounting studs are (like most of their drivers -  poorly endowed when it comes to studs) -  "to short to be effective" is the phrase that comes to mind!

So the solution is to knock out the studs -  replace em with longer more substantial grade 8 nuts washers and bolts -  fit in a Kirkey or some other high quality aluminum seat -  and give it enough reaward lean to get rid of the head clearance issues!

But that still leaves me with The  question on roll cage design!  Is there anything sacred about a 1 piece halo unit?

Carl " I wasn't including myself in the deficient stud catagory - well - maybe? " Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:57:47 PM »
Funny car type cage
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 02:02:28 PM »
Carl,
Check the rules... I dont think you can run the production seat, I think a race seat is mandated...
kent

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »
contact the coupes committee for answers to your questions. make sure you have a rule book that is current. or a 2006 and the added changes on the scta web site.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 10:55:28 AM »
I do have the rule book and the current updates -  none as far as I can see address this specific issue.  Yes I know you need a race seat -  hense my references to Kirkey and corbeau.

I guess the next step is to contact the coupe committee!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline hitz

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
I do have the rule book and the current updates -  none as far as I can see address this specific issue.  Yes I know you need a race seat -  hense my references to Kirkey and corbeau.

I guess the next step is to contact the coupe committee!

Carl Johansson

Carl,

I believe you can make your own race seat or have one made. It will have to pass inspection as all seats and attachments do. It does not have to come from a manufacturer, but it's easier if you can find one that works for you.

Harv

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 10:46:38 AM »
Check with jegs.com, they have 4 point to 12 point roll cages for Corvettes as well as a pro-stock add on. They will send you a free catalog as well, hard to beat the prices on the cages and they meet SCTA specs. 1-5/8 x .134 wall
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 12:44:45 PM »
Check with jegs.com, they have 4 point to 12 point roll cages for Corvettes as well as a pro-stock add on. They will send you a free catalog as well, hard to beat the prices on the cages and they meet SCTA specs. 1-5/8 x .134 wall

Hey Glen, I looked at Jegs -  unfortunately they have no pictures of their units -  and I have no info about their mounting points and the design -  the steel and number of tubes and general design meet NHRA standards -  but I'm not willing to trust my life to something I buy sight unseen and have no engineering data from!

also it's a one size fits none deal -  it's going to eat up lots of valuable interior space because it has to fit allyears -  essentially that means squeezing in the cage till it clears everything.

I'll fab up my own using the data from corvette engineers and a design that has been tested and proven lots of times!

Carl "gunna number my car 999 - cause when I roll it over -  well you know!" Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 01:11:43 PM »
Carl
It's up to you on the cage but make sure it's SCTA legal, as far as attachment points etc. Jegs has a 8 and 12 point cage shown in the catalog. The number 999 belongs to Sam Wheeler's streamliner and he wont part with it. Chuck Kalbach gives out the numbers. My main concern is that you talk with the coupe committee and Dan Warner on any rules, hate to see you have to tear something out. Good luck on the project.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 02:37:50 PM »
OK -  so I'll number my car 666 -  ands when it rolls over sam can come over and chew me out!
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 02:54:18 PM »
I think it has come full circle and back to AUTOPOWER.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"