Author Topic: FIA Problems  (Read 9351 times)

Offline k.h.

Re: FIA Problems
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »
At the Avon M/C tire official website, under "2004 News," is a story celebrating Minono's use of unshaved Avon Azaro ST tires at 225+.  It appears they are endorsing them for speed trials, though their parent company, Cooper, is at the same time supposedly wanting nothing to do with LSR.  Hmm.  Right hand maybe doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Recent research in China found a possible racing tire source capable of quality, but the M/C LSR tire demand is too low to qualify for production consideration.  I, personally, don't need 70 each 120x17 front and 190x17 rear prototype tires.  Next stop Rumania or Hungary.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »
Universal recognition of a record will go a long ways towards a supplier willing to absorb the product liability in a very small market.
 When the records are spread over thousands of classes and several organizations the interest is also divided.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline k.h.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »
I refer back to the first post in this thread re: FIA.  Didn't this whole discourse begin in response to 2 articles critical of the FIA?  Short course LSR records have worked at Elvington (GB) and Lelystad (NL), could also at Maxton/Goliad and wherever else someone finds an available airstrip to use.  Whether or not the FIA is the anti-christ or not apparently is in the eye of the speed worshipper.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline k.h.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2005, 08:29:00 PM »
I'm just surprised there is such overwhelming "liability" reluctance to make available an LSR M/C tire, since companies make tires for every other motorsport, including 200mph+ racing.  And, what came first, the chicken or the egg?  The LSR tire or the increase of use?  "Build it and they will come . . ."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »
When the recognition approaches the level of other motorsports the tire companies will follow.
 Divide the records by the ammount of classes then again by the number of organizations and you will lose them.
 Who knows what tires were used by Dave Campos ?
 I do but that doesn't count.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »
Keith

Is it now a matter of bringing the WLSRF organisation .... (there might be a better name?) .... to the knowledge of the speed trials promoters around the world and see how they and the racers respond?  Then when people ask how do I set a World land speed record on an airfield or short length of beach there is an answer.  

This one would not hurt any racers from the past, stick a finger in the eye of the FIA or hurt the SCTA/BNI - who might join in if they see the racers having just as much fun in a mile and 132 feet.

Contact me separately on this ........

(Looks like Maxton in late April will be on my visit list).
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005, 10:12:00 AM »
Raising another flag does not establish anything that isn't already covered but only serves to divide.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 01:10:00 PM »
What flag covers the venues of Maxton and Goliad?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by k.h.:
  What flag covers the venues of Maxton and Goliad?
The Eact Coast Timing Association and the Sports Car Club of America.
 SCCA is a member of ACCUS and can be authorized to conduct an FIA event.
 The locations are available to rent at the pleasure of the ownership.

<small>[ January 30, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2005, 04:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by JackD:
  When the recognition approaches the level of other motorsports the tire companies will follow.

My fear Jack is when "that level of recognition"is evident LSR would be another venture of global corporations (sp)
 Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »
Or worse, local clubs each with their own standards.
 N.I.H.(not invented here) will prevale.

Offline D-Type

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »
JackD,
 how come you can have a sensible discussion on this thread when on the other one you rudely leap down the throat of a first-time poster who politely corrects your facts?

<small>[ February 05, 2005, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: D-Type ]</small>
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »
I guess I was not aware of rude or correction.
 Nothing has changed my opinion so I guess I missed it.
 A first time poster has nothing to do with your treatment as far as I am concerned.
 It does not establish your credability one way or the other.
 The information will speak for it's self.
 If you go back to the guy asking about motors and running a turbo Z-1, you mat find he is looking for reasons the watrer cooled motors can seemingly make so much more power.
 A sence of humor is as varied as shoes and one size won't fit all.

Offline D-Type

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »
OK, peace
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »
While PC is important, you need to figure out the PM (private message) thing here also.
 I hope I say what I mean. The understanding of what I really mean might take a little longer by design.
 I am not a mean guy.
 There I said it again with a different meaning.
 THANK YOU FOR CARING

I fixed a typo

<small>[ February 05, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: JackD ]</small>