Author Topic: FIA Problems  (Read 9350 times)

John Beckett

FIA Problems
« on: January 23, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »
Five reasons why many don?t run for FIA records even if they could.

1. Difficult for the race organizers to accommodate two way record runs when dealing with large number of registered competitors at the event.

2. Excessive cost.

3. Lack of realistic categories, groupings or classes.

5. Disorganized record keeping.

4. Past experience with FIA has been anything but positive.

John

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: FIA Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »
1. All of the records I deal't with were set   with 2 way runs both BNI and FIA during Speedweek.

2. Cost is reduced with volume.

3.The thousands of club classes have no place in World record attempts.

4. I recieved My FIA certificates in a timely fashion and record keeping is a product of activity.

5. Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Ken Walkey

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 11:18:00 PM »
It took me 13 yrs to get my FIA cert. Then it took the help of Wally Parks and Co. to get it for me. Plus at the time ('73) it cost $1200 for two of us. (Thurmo King was the other one) Amen to FIA.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »
In those days it probably Farmer that worked for NHRA and Wally anyway.
 If the record was properly filed and approved, Wally should have been able to get it issued the same day it was approved by FIA.
 He never liked FIA records set at speed week and still thinks they sould be reserved for the teams that run private time. At least that is what Wally told me.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Ken Walkey

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
It was Farmer. He spent a lot of time on my behalf getting that for me. Correction on the above, it was $2400 for both, $1200 each. Still a lot in todays money. FYI-those of us that drove in Australia for some reason(?)had to have FIA licenses.

panman

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 06:26:00 PM »
according to the bni board after speaking to some members of the board they are not trying to take over FIA/ACCUS they are simply using FIA/ACCUS guidelines and rules. they are not in the timing business for other venues of racing.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »
The expenses for FIA included the cost for Farmer to attend the meet and all of the required filings.
 The results were their responsibility.
 The Speedweek event is at the direction of the board and outside supervision is not one of their favorite things.
 When BNI threatned to take over the supervision,NHRA  (Mr. Light)offered in a letter to bless Speedweek with their program and the offer was rejected.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 06:38:00 AM »
So it seems that LAN is promoting the SCTA/BNI as the 'World Authority' for land speed records to get rid of the slow & inept FIA operations, whilst the Board of the organisation does not want to displace the World governing body FIA.  

They (SCTA/BNI) just want to ratify speed records at Bonneville, run the FIA way of two way runs in one hour, as well as their normal running method for their racers.  

Surely this means no change, improvement or am I totally confused?
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 09:43:00 AM »
Malcolm
 If you understand the World is flat and the center is Bonneville, I think you have it.

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 10:45:00 PM »
I think the solution is right here on this board. Quoting from the Harvey Shapiro book Man Against the Salt, on page 49 the late Nolan White says "All of the racers that had signed up for the SCTA meet, including me were given a phone call telling us about the cancelation. I called Jack(Dolan), and in a matter of two days, he had all the neccessary documents."

On page 50 Nolan is further quoted, "The big plus out of the whole thing is that I don't have to depend on these other organizations anymore (Southern California Timing Association, Utah Salt Flats Racing Association)to have a meet. I know the guy to call (Jack Dolan). He's the contact you need for any high-speed racing."

Malcom and others, the answer is clear - call Jack!!

landracing

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 10:57:00 PM »
By the way that updated book by Shapiro was an excellent read, except for the last chapter...

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »
"Understanding the goals of an organization will save a lot of time beating your head against the wrong wall."
 "Experience is what you get when you don't get what tou want."
 " If you really feel that way, you don't have to worry about what you said if it always the same. Too many things that are just egos are mistaken for feelings."

Offline k.h.

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
Is it time to revisit the idea of a "World Land Speed Record Federation" to certify Short Course records at Maxton and Goliad, plus the British interests and wherever else is appropriate?  The groundwork was already started on this a couple of years ago.  Stewards/Scrutineers/Timkeepers are from the Clubs recognized by WLSRF.  WLSRF simply certifies the record the Club registers with them, maintains the list of records, issues documentation of each to recordholder.  

Short course is done here and oversees, could be a genuine "world record" organization.  Less costly and demanding than FIA/FIM.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline joea

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
ok,  but can we get some tires to race with  first??.......

Joe  :)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »
Standing kilo and mile records are already recorded with the FIA and FIM.
 If you wish to have them recognize terminal speeds, proper application should have no trouble and would likely be supported by many locations and organizations throughout the world.