Author Topic: New Event Catering to 200 MPH and Higher  (Read 2380 times)

Offline racergeo

New Event Catering to 200 MPH and Higher
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:17:51 AM »

[Quote from Desotoman December 24, 2006, from 300 MPH Car & Motorcycle post: Guys, I think we have to look down the road and see the big picture. Last year not many 300 mph cars showed up. What happens in a few years when 300mph becomes very common place like 200mph is now. With all the new cars being built and all the electronics that have now become legal I feel 300 will be very common i In a short time. Once you allow something to start it is very hard to reverse it.]                                                                             

I agree with Tom once you allow something to start it is impossible to reverse it. Speedweek is a wonderful time for  the old timers  to gather and reflect on the good old days and for the new breed super bike guys to see how fast she'll go and of course all those awesome street rods. I would'nt miss it. But even the officals and other racers were telling me the World Finals is where you want to race fast cars. Basically saying that Speed Week is so large that it is not a good venue for the requirements of high speed cars. Problem being the last two years World Finals have been rained out; and if this looks like a pattern, where are we going to race? A person spends several years and a lot of money, they like to come to an event that's more suited to the special requirements of a high speed car or motorcycle.

Mike Cook, the guys at SoCal, some big race-oriented corporation needs to step forward and promote a commercial-type meet, limited to high speed - 200 and above - cars and bikes. And needs to cater to the racer with no apologies. Bonneville Speed Week is trying to be everything to everybody and has lost the vision. I believe there are at least a hundred cars and bikes, and perhaps more, if Tom G's take on what traction control is going to produce the big speeds in the future. That would be enough entrants to make a commercial venture profitable and practical with a raised entry fee. And the people that think a raised entry fee is out of the question are the people who haven't built race cars with new money. In other words, at today's prices for things. No need to pay people prize money or any phony carrot hanging in front of us like the NHRA. Just give us a place to run where we can run under the best conditions when we've properly prepared our cars so we can get a tune up and give us our best speed for the conditions. I want to race in a venue that's racer-friendly! The bike guys have a bike event just for them, now it's time for the high speed cars to have an event for them. I'm not a rich guy, but I'm a racer. I'm not very encouraged about the outlook for Speed Week.

dwarner

Re: New Event Catering to 200 MPH and Higher
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:15:05 AM »
Why not contact the named persons yourself? Better yet start the organization process and become the new Dennis Manning. Speaking of Dennis, what is to happen when his lease runs out in the near future?

DW

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:51:08 AM »
I think the suggestion for this meet is a good one, and Dan you are right, it takes someone to get pro-active to make it happen. I believe that Manning will renew his lease as he has just gotten his event up and running, plus he has a very good relationship with BLM.

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »
We would spend hours on end in line (like everyone else) during Speed Week and usually only get a couple of runs in a day. On the other hand, I really enjoy this meet because of its popularity. You get to see a lot of really cool machines and talk to a lot of colorful people. We use Speed Week to test for our FIM record attempts in September. Both are important to me but it is nice at the motorcycle speed trials to get to run when and however many times you'd like.

Having a meet for 200+ machines is okay, as long as the FIM/FIA are there to make it worth our while...
Three meets in one year....yeah, I kind of like the sound of that  :-D

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 11:20:03 PM »
I'll bet I could write a book on this subject.
I don't think I could get past the title without pissing somebody off.
Perhaps it could be "EDICTS FROM THE ADMINISPHERE"
or "I HAVE A SCREAM."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:21:30 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"