Author Topic: can i run these tires in SCTA meets  (Read 10480 times)

Offline panchop

can i run these tires in SCTA meets
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:00:42 PM »
Dunlap recommended them when I told them what I was doing.  In their  hard compound, triple thick wall whatever that means. For an A/BG 1000cc bike.  The guy didn't know about the "legality " of them though.

17" sizes (250cc slicks):
120/60x17 || 155/60x17 || 165/55x17

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: can i run these tires in SCTA meets
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 11:57:56 PM »
With 189 views and 0 replies in 2 weeks speaks more to the unpredictable result in tech than a lack of willingness on the part of the bikers to help.
The lack of willingness for tech to respond in public to something like this speaks volumes also.
The cars guys don't seem to have any of that trouble.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:44:06 AM »
The reason for no response may be the lack of information.
Dunlop, not Dunlap makes a lot of tires in the sizes you mention. What is the part number of the tire and the DOT rating? D208, KR106?
The KR108 comes in those sizes and is a road racing slick.
KR106 120/60R-17 is listed as a Superbike/250GP front
KR108 155/60R-17 is listed as a Superbike rear
KR108 165/55R-17 is listed as a 250GP rear
These are road racing tires and don't have a DOT speed rating. The record for A-BG 1000 at El Mirage is 196.326, no record at Bonneville. If you use these tires you should be fine.
Full list here:
http://www.dunlopracing.com/sizes.html
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:56:57 PM »
With 189 views and 0 replies in 2 weeks speaks more to the unpredictable result in tech than a lack of willingness on the part of the bikers to help.
The lack of willingness for tech to respond in public to something like this speaks volumes also.
The cars guys don't seem to have any of that trouble.
w/337 views  there still is no  useful info no 22-250-17 on my post?? are these tires to new or what?
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Panchop,you don't see alot of bikes with slicks/roadrace tires on the salt. I am of the opinion that they would have more tendency to spin up than a tire with good tread.Salt surface reminds me of riding on a dirt fire road, rather have a nice knobby for that riding than a streetbike tire. Lots of z rated tires available.Take a look at what the fastest bikes have used.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 09:00:10 PM »
Instead of experimenting with new tires, just use what the other successful racers have used. Joe Amo made ~250 mph on a 1000cc Kawasaki, so he was getting good traction for sure. Anyone know what tire he used?

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline tomsmith

Got tires?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 09:00:36 PM »
I'm looking for some 2.00/2:25 18" tires myself.  I can't find any here, but the Kreidler guy in Holland has some Bridgestones pictured on his website.  I've gotta get up nerve to e-mail him, although I might get sticker shock.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »
The fastest cars and bikes have no tread at all and the rest could do better with a minimum tread if the selected tire was physically able to take the stress without failure.
New tires that are designed from the start for LSR application have no tread any more than a wear indicator.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 07:12:36 AM »
Goodyear makes the 18inch slick front runners commonly seen on drag bikes, but this kinda conflicts with the new'no drag slick' rule..but as pointed out in another post, probably is meant for the squarish rear slicks. I don't know of any other 18 inch slick that we could use, and have asked before with no responses.  Avon and Bridgestone make quite a few road racing oriented 18s as well, depending on your speed rating . Search Ebay for AM20, am21 am22 and you will get an arssortment of 18 inch v rated AVON tires. There are tons of speed rated 17s out there with or without tread. I don't think once at speed and not turning it will affect your handling whether you have tread or not. It's still loose stuff on top of hard stuff. Ice racing tires are not allowed.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 09:32:43 AM »
Hans has take the right direction.
Watch for the final print rules to be a little more specific about the drag tire ruling and it should help to clear up some of the confusion it has generated.
While I don't speak for the rules, I have been known to yell at them.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 11:28:41 AM »
Seein's how 15s are legal, and one might want to minimize frontal area, what's available to go pretty fast (V rated?) at that size, if anything?

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »
Although a 21 and 22X15 tire is off the shelve their 3.4 and 4.0 flat profile may create a little lift over 200mph and surly create more turbulent wash. The 200x17 and 18 front-runners should be looked at more seriously than the motorcycle tires. I definitely would put the vehicle on scales and determine the weight on each tire! Over 250lbs absolutely stay away from the skinny tires and NO motorcycle tires.
Kent

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 01:33:17 PM »
Seein's how 15s are legal, and one might want to minimize frontal area, what's available to go pretty fast (V rated?) at that size, if anything?

I have seen absolutely none, but I have not specifically looked for 15s.  The most common seem to be 17" by far, especially for V rated.

I'm kind of stuck for tires, I have to run tubes so get bumped on the rating.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 01:09:15 AM »
There are "V" rated 15" motorcycle tires but no "Z" rated, I can even get it in a white wall. For over 200mph you should look to run the accepted front-runner. Lots of 17" z and zr rated tires. 18'S are very hard to find. You will have a hard time finding a "H" rated 200-250x18 you would do better switching to a 17"rim and run 125gp tires. I have listings and buy from all the motorcycle tire distributors just tell me what ya are looking for and I?ll find it. panchop... whoever at Dunlop told ya to run a triple thick wall was thick headed and probably wasn't Jimmy Allen (Dunlop race tire director for almost 30 years) Thick heavy tires are no good, thick holds in heat (no good) and thick usually means heavy (centrifugal forces tear the tire carcass from the structural cords, that?s why we shave our tires). If you wand to run a Dunlop slick wait till after Daytona in a few weeks and then call Jimmy in New York, tell him I sent ya, and see if they have any of them high speed Daytona specific tires left (have a credit card with a big limit ready) Race slicks are nice since the lack of tread reduces the turbine effect but modern slicks require tire warmers to bring them up to temperature for them to work. You will never get them hot enough to work right before it will fail with your power output. Others have tried rain slicks only to have them blister, chunk and fail. Lots of off the shelve tires for ya and with a blown1000 your gonna roast a few rears. Get a "New" sport touring compound tire.. They have a sticky but hard compound, good profile, and good wear. Ya see a sport touring tire is designed for the weekend guy that breaks out his VFR and need his tires to stick when he drives through the rain gutter down the end of his block. A sport, super sport, and race compound tires wont be sticky when cold, they require warmers, or at least a couple of sighting laps on the track to warm ?em up. You don?t have that time. You need that bitch to hook up cold right off the line. Buy one for the front and a couple for the rear, you?ll need ?em. And see ya on the salt
Kent

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 07:30:20 AM »
sockjohn,
I wouldn't be super concerned about finding the absolute skinniest front tire to reduce frontal area. Unless you are extremly short and skinny like a snake(I have seen a few snakes racing...)  the big stuff behind your front tire will dictate your frontal area. No need to run a 1.75 wide bicycle tire to go faster... :-D