Author Topic: Car and Bike Pictures by SCTA Numbers....  (Read 18867 times)

Offline Cword

• http://www.ucalgary.ca/~mdsiewer
Re: Car and Bike Pictures by SCTA Numbers....
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »
  You guys going to make it to Blanding before Speed Week?

That's a big job Sum,  picture archive that is, kinda reminds me of the chunk I bit off in November when I volunteered to scan all of my father in laws slides.  The kind of thing that's best taken in small doses and suddenly it's almost done.

The desire to go to Blanding pre-bonneville is strong, and I've booked vacation time starting 30 July. The next step is making sure that everyone else is with me and funding. 
Annette really wants to visit there again and has two friends entertaining the idea of coming along.
25 years ago I dreamed of road trips with three 18 year old girls, now I'm not so sure...

Mike
Mike Siewert
North of 49 Crew
 1149 B/STR

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 03:20:47 PM »
We've been working on a similar thing on the ECTA site for years now but we've only been focusing on ECTA racers. Are you only looking for pictures of those that have or will run at Bonneville?

For now and probably the future I want to limit this to any bike/car that has an SCTA number. 
-------snip-------
The only requirement is you have a current SCTA number.

All ECTA vehicle numbers are SCTA vehicle numbers. I think what Deb was asking about was that your page says Bonneville vehicles. She started the Maxton photo section in 2002...

By number:
Bikes ---> http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=27
Cars  ---> http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=25

By Team:
Bikes ---> http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=28(this one is currently an incorrect link on ECTA's page)
Cars  ---> http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=26

So if you want them they are there for the taking if you want SCTA numbered vehicles and not necessarily Bonneville numbered vehicles(which some are and some aren't).
I for one am looking forward to your listings.. you have a most excellent site Sum!!!
Thanks,
Todd

Todd I just got off the phone with Chuck Kalbach who assigns numbers for SCTA and I was wrong as you have pointed out.

I think I might have it now and if not I hope Chuck or someone keeps working on me until I do have this figured out  :wink:.

According to Chuck they have set aside the "9000" series of numbers for people who run ECTA (Maxton) if they want them.  If you have a "9000" series number then I want your picture of your bike/car even if you haven't run at B'ville or El Mirage.

If you run ECTA you can also request a number from Chuck other than in the "9000" number group, which is what BBB is doing and what Keith Turk and others already have done.

Going to your site I see that there are very few cars/bikes with 9000 numbers, but a lot with lower numbers.  Now when I see one like Jon's 436 I know that that number was assigned by Chuck at SCTA.  What I'm concerned with is if some of the other numbers below 9000 are assigned by ECTA and are not in Chuck's log book.  I just don't want duplicate numbers assigned by different organizations.  It is confusing enough as it is  :-).

So if your car/bike number is in Chuck's SCTA data base regardless of where it runs send it to me.

One thing everyone has to remember is that the number is the person's and not the vehicle.  The person can put it on any vehicle and change to any class as they want.  So as I work on this over the years for historical purposes I might show a number with more than one car/bike picture indexed to that number and will try and note which is the most current.

Todd are you saying I could copy some of the pictures off of the ECTA site and put them on mine???  If so I need to know which ones have numbers that are registered with SCTA also and are in Chuck's book.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »
The desire to go to Blanding pre-bonneville is strong, and I've booked vacation time starting 30 July. The next step is making sure that everyone else is with me and funding. 
Annette really wants to visit there again and has two friends entertaining the idea of coming along.
25 years ago I dreamed of road trips with three 18 year old girls, now I'm not so sure...

Mike

Hope you guys can make it down again and it would be good to see Annette.  4 of you in the roadster is going to be tight :-D.  Most people will show up Tuesday for the Wed. hike, but I'll be available to go out the days before that for anyone who shows up. 

c ya,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »
Hey you all, I told everyone a few days ago that the 9000 series numbers were assigned to ECTA, I also said to contact Chuck for other numbers. This was asked on one of the forums here on this site. Keep doing this stuff and Jack D is going to get upset and hammer you with words you wont understand.

Sumner wants to do it by the numbers, don't confuse him with other methods, he's getting old and can only type with one finger in cold weather. It's a game of switch to keep the other warm.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 05:13:22 PM »
Todd I just got off the phone with Chuck Kalbach who assigns numbers for SCTA and I was wrong as you have pointed out.
I think I might have it now and if not I hope Chuck or someone keeps working on me until I do have this figured out  :wink:.
Not wrong, just not fully informed.... I can help here and you pretty much have it figured out though.

According to Chuck they have set aside the "9000" series of numbers for people who run ECTA (Maxton) if they want them.  If you have a "9000" series number then I want your picture of your bike/car even if you haven't run at B'ville or El Mirage.
If you run ECTA you can also request a number from Chuck other than in the "9000" number group, which is what BBB is doing and what Keith Turk and others already have done.
Going to your site I see that there are very few cars/bikes with 9000 numbers, but a lot with lower numbers.  Now when I see one like Jon's 436 I know that that number was assigned by Chuck at SCTA.  What I'm concerned with is if some of the other numbers below 9000 are assigned by ECTA and are not in Chuck's log book.  I just don't want duplicate numbers assigned by different organizations.  It is confusing enough as it is  :-).
This is all correct. Before Maxton became as popular as it presently is... JB, Joe, Bill or Lionel would have you call Chuck and get a number(trackside on the spot at times) and that was that(when I got there, Mackey had me look through his book of numbers he knew were available and we called Chuck from there to lock it in). That was my 1300 number, and we have since gotten 1301 and 1302 as well, but now there is way too many people to do that... but you can be sure that if an ECTA vehicle has a number on it(3 digit or more) then it is an SCTA issued and recorded number. In other words... ECTA has no numbers of their own and all worthwhile organizations are issued SCTA numbers(I don't know a thing about BUB or Texas or any track that takes floating transportation to arrive at) :wink:.

So if your car/bike number is in Chuck's SCTA data base regardless of where it runs send it to me.
---snip---
Todd are you saying I could copy some of the pictures off of the ECTA site and put them on mine???  If so I need to know which ones have numbers that are registered with SCTA also and are in Chuck's book.
Yes you can(i say this like I own the gig, FYI: I own or have the right to talk about my sportster, my panhead and my tools... nothing more). Hopefully verification/authorization from Manhatten Mark or Dahmurf will show up here if needed... they are the contact on website stuff including the pics of course.
Back to the question at hand...
ALL bikes and cars on the ECTA's website(and ANY vehicle that runs with the ECTA) use an SCTA number(whether it's ever ran at Bonneville or not), and it is registered in Chuck's book(only the ones givien out on the spot at Maxton are 9000 up numbers and registered by name with Chuck after the fact). This allows a new entrant at ECTA to not have to contact Chuck prior to the meet...  making it easier on the entrant, verified by the ECTA, and saving Chuck a multitude of individual phone calls(and probable headaches).
Hope that helped,
Todd
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:45:49 PM by narider »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 08:09:22 PM »
NOTE JUST FOR GLEN :
If SUM stops I am going to get angry and go after the cause with enough stuff to fill the hole they dug for themselves.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 08:22:19 PM »

Quote from:  Glen
Hey you all, I told everyone a few days ago that the 9000 series numbers were assigned to ECTA, I also said to contact Chuck for other numbers. This was asked on one of the forums here on this site. Keep doing this stuff and Jack D is going to get upset and hammer you with words you wont understand.

Sumner wants to do it by the numbers, don't confuse him with other methods, he's getting old and can only type with one finger in cold weather. It's a game of switch to keep the other warm.

Sorry Glen I guess I wasn't paying attention :roll:,  that is one of the other aspects of "getting old" that you didn't mention  :cry:.

This is all correct. Before Maxton became as popular as it presently is... JB, Joe, Bill or Lionel would have you call Chuck and get a number(trackside on the spot at times) and that was that(when I got there, Mackey had me look through his book of numbers he knew were available and we called Chuck from there to lock it in). That was my 1300 number, and we have since gotten 1301 and 1302 as well, but now there is way too many people to do that... but you can be sure that if an ECTA vehicle has a number on it(3 digit or more) then it is an SCTA issued and recorded number. In other words... ECTA has no numbers of their own and all worthwhile organizations are issued SCTA numbers(I don't know a thing about BUB or Texas or any track that takes floating transportation to arrive at) :wink:.
Hope that helped,
Todd

Todd that helps a lot, but let me pound this into the ground a little more (my wife hates this aspect of me)  8-).  Looking at your bikes.  3-b and 18-b and other non-three or four digit numbers would be ECTA numbers only and not in Chuck's book.  All the three or 4 digit bike/car numbers there such as 346, 424, 482, 1240, 2801, etc. are recognized SCTA numbers that Chuck has issued and are in his book???

If this is correct and Keith won't shoot me I'll get some of those off of your site that I don't have otherwise.

Thanks again,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 08:43:10 PM »
Sum
Chuck sends me a complete number update before every meet. Holler if I can help with numbers that are assigned already. There wont be a new published update until the May meet. And don't worry about Jack D. his shovel only moves the horse pucky off the street following the parade.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 09:20:44 PM »
Sum's project is one of the most worthwhile projects to come along in a long time and deserves it's own parade.
The first / best use of my shovel will to slap any heads that get in the way.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2007, 09:38:36 PM »
Sum
Chuck sends me a complete number update before every meet. Holler if I can help with numbers that are assigned already. There wont be a new published update until the May meet. And don't worry about Jack D. his shovel only moves the horse pucky off the street following the parade.

Thanks Glen, I sent you a PM  :-).  Jack use the shovel as a last resort  :-o ,

Sum

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 10:10:26 PM »
3-b and 18-b and other non-three or four digit numbers would be ECTA numbers only and not in Chuck's book. 
Correct, these two digit numbers(up to #20 I believe) are allowed to be used the following year on a person's vehicle that has placed in one of the top (20?) points positions at the end of the season. And any number with the "-B" after it is a bike(as there is a car points race as well as a bike points race, with the bikes final postion seprated via a "-B"). And(to confuse you further), each of these top points bikes will have an actual SCTA issued number of course, of which they will have to go back to once they find themselves no longer in the top points standings.
For simplicity's sake(number wise), it would most definetly be best to stick to your plan of using only the 3 or 4 digit numbers registered with the SCTA:
Racing for points is like working on "Who's Line Is It Anyway" for points.

All the 3 or four digit bike/car numbers there such as 346, 424, 482, 1240, 2801, etc. are recognized SCTA numbers that Chuck has issued and are in his book???
That is correct, but please check with Chuck if in doubt. And, of course as you said... the numbers are registered primarily to the owner, and may end up on diffferent vehicles as the years go by(IE: our #1301 was on our Harley Sprint and is now on a Buell Blast).

If this is correct and Keith won't shoot me I'll get some of those off of your site that I don't have otherwise.
Please do check with the ECTA, (this wouldn't be a good time for KT of course), but Mark(our web guy) can be found at http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=13 and is able to answer any website copywrite info if it's in question)

Thanks again,
Sum
It's my pleasure as I would love to see an updated combined area like this to go to, and you are one of the few that is not only willling to compile it but also able to keep it up(well, that and the fact that I don't want to be the target that Jack's looking to swing that spade at)!
Todd

LittleLiner

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
SUM

Concerning the photos on the ECTA web site,  . . . some of the October 06 shots were mine.  If Manhattan Mark (the ECTA web guy and all-around first class person/racer) ok's you taking shots off that site, please feel 100% free to use any and all of mine. 

Also,  . . . . I plan to be at the ECTA March meet (again without a car!*&%#).  PM me with the particulars of what you are looking for and I'll try to take and collect as many photos as I can.  I'll format them to your specification and send them to you.  Also let me know what info you want on the entries, . . . . owner name, home town etc.

Thanks   Art

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »
SUM

Concerning the photos on the ECTA web site,  . . . some of the October 06 shots were mine.  If Manhattan Mark (the ECTA web guy and all-around first class person/racer) ok's you taking shots off that site, please feel 100% free to use any and all of mine. 

Also,  . . . . I plan to be at the ECTA March meet (again without a car!*&%#).  PM me with the particulars of what you are looking for and I'll try to take and collect as many photos as I can.  I'll format them to your specification and send them to you.  Also let me know what info you want on the entries, . . . . owner name, home town etc.

Thanks   Art

Thanks Art.  I'm getting most of my info off of the  SCTA's b'ville pre-entry list and would like to stay with that format.  Here is how they present it with a few cars for examples:

Vehicle - Engine -- Body ---- Entry Name ---------------- City State Zip Country
34 ------- B ------GRMR --- TIME ONLY T ---------- SO. EL MONTE CA   
36 ------- C -------FR ----- STEINEGGER & ESHENBAUGH -- PHOENIX AZ   
40 ------- F ----- BSTR ---- GLENN CHAMBERS ----- VALLEY CENTER CA 
418B --- 250CC -- P-PP ----- LITTLE THUMPER ------ PRUNEDALE CA   
431B --- 250CC -- A-G ------ RITE RACING ---------- PHOENIX AZ   
435B --- 250CC - APS-BF --- SELDOM SEEN SLIM -----MARQUETTE MI     

So for the time being anyway I want to stay with this format as the pre-entry list is the biggest asset I have at the moment.  Chuck has said he will help me with this in the future as changes take place and I think this is the format he has for the cars, except he doesn't know the "engine and body" since the person who has the number assigned to them has the option of changing those at any time.

I spent 3 hours last night changing my file structure to help with the dilemma of the number not being really a car number, but belonging to a person and they can change cars and classes at will with the same number.

Since a lot of you have said this is good historically and I now agree when you see a number in the list you will see a year by it.  That was to the best of my knowledge the car and class that belongs to the picture with the number at that time.

This means you will start to see the same number on the list that will link you to different years and the car/bike as it was with that number in the year listed.  Confusing???

For example take Falkner/Livingston, he e-mailed me pictures and the following:

"615B has been a lucky number for us over the 4 years we have had it. (they used the same number in these years on different bikes/classes):

2003 50CC P/P ? Falkner/Livingston -- Mission Viejo, CA
2004 650CC APS/F ? Falkner/Livingston -- Mission Viejo, CA
2006 1650CC P/P ? Falkner/Livingston -- Mission Viejo, CA"

So when I post his picture you will see 615B (2003), 615B (2004) and  615B (2006).

This is more work for me, but in the long run it will give us a better history of the number and what vehicle it was associated with.  Still  there is no way I can do this and be totally accurate.

Back to your question as to what I want.

For any given picture I would like the following that describes the vehicle that goes with the picture:

1. --- Number
2. --- Motor (same as examples above)
3. --- Body (same as examples above)
4. --- Entrant Name (not necessarily the owner -- see examples above)
5. --- City, State and Country if other than U.S.

If you have any questions ask or PM me,

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 02:21:46 PM by Sumner »

Offline tortoise

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Shouldn't Slim's 1478B (as shown) be APS-BF rather than A-BF?  Love those flamingos!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2007, 03:18:51 PM »
Okay, I'll fess up.  Hope I don't regret doing this.  Nancy ran with bodywork, in A/PS/BF, as #435.  I took off the front fairing, changed to A/BF and to #1478, and made my runs/got my record.

Then I wanted to see what speeds I could run WITH the body on, so re-installed it.  Didn't change numbers -- didn't go as fast as Nancy.

But that run is when this photo was taken.  If you'd like I'll try to find a "naked" hoto, Sum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com