Author Topic: Rule book on-line?  (Read 23350 times)

Offline LJB

• New folks
Rule book on-line?
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:29:05 AM »
Hello,

I am was curious if anyone had a .pdf of a past rule book or if there is a version on-line somehwere?

I am trying to get a handle on the exact definitions of the different motorcycle class distinctions and the rules for each.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Rule book on-line?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 01:44:15 AM »
If you go to the SCTA website (www.scta-bni.org) you will see the current changes in the motorcycle rules.  If you get a handle on the exact definitions of the different motrcycle classes and rules for each you will immediately be made motorcycle rules chairman and probably nominated for the Nobel prize in logic. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:49:51 AM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline LJB

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:01:16 AM »
wow, first day on the BBS and I am already getting nominated for the s*** jobs...

:wink:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 03:21:45 AM »
wow, first day on the BBS and I am already getting nominated for the s*** jobs...

:wink:

You may have gathered that you have found a finger sized hole in a very delicate subject.
What part of the country are you from and perhaps you might get to hook up with another that has been through it before ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 03:49:48 AM »
LJB  go here  http://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm  the rules are almost the same as SCTA except for special construction which are very different . add the SCTA changes and you are almost there  :-)
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 06:25:57 AM »
Hey, how did Australia get so far ahead of the Yanks ?
Have you no sence of honor ?
Damn, I'll bet we forgot to tell him it can't be done so he just did it.
So who else is thinking ahead of the almighty ?
Oh well.

PRIVATE NOTE to Gary: THANKS
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 09:13:25 AM »
LJB, I'll tick my head out and offer to shoot the breeze with you by phone or email to see if I can help you narrow  your list of class questions.  As you've seen already, many things M/C are loaded with emotions from all over the place, and sometimes the list gets carried away with that stuff and forgets the original question.

jon@infodestruction.com  or 906 249 3342.

I might be able to help -- at least get you pointed in the direction you're hoping to go.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Jon will do well by you and that is sorta how it should be.

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »
its a start. circa 2005:

7.D   CLASSIFICATION OF DISPLACEMENTS, FRAMES, ENGINES, AND ENGINE TYPES:

Note: Motorcycle classes are listed in order of displacement, frame type and engine type.

7.D.1   Designation Frame Class
   P   Production
   M   Modified
   A   Special Construction
   MPS   Modified Partial Streamlining
   APS   Special Construction Partial Streamlining
   SC   Sidecar
   SCS   Sidecar Streamliner
   S   Streamliner

7.D.2   Designation Engine Class
   P    Production
   PP    Production Push Rod
   PB   Production Supercharged
   PV   Production Vintage
   G    Modified Engine: Gasoline
   PG    Push Rod Engine: Gasoline
   VG   Vintage Engine: Gasoline
   UG   Unlimited Engine: Gasoline
   BG   Supercharged Engine: Gasoline
   PBG   Supercharged Push Rod Engine: Gas
   VBG   Supercharged Vintage Engine: Gasoline
   F   Modified Engine: Fuel
   PF   Push Rod Engine: Fuel
   VF   Vintage Engine: Fuel
   UF   Unlimited Engine: Fuel
   BF   Supercharged Engine: Fuel
   PBF    Supercharged Push Rod Engine: Fuel
   VBF   Supercharged Vintage Engine: Fuel
   Steam, Turbine or Electric

ENGINE DISPLACEMENT CLASSES

Engine Classes are shown in cubic centimeters, i.e., 50, 100, 125, 175, 250, 350, 500, 650, 750, 1000, 1350, 1650, 2000 and 3000 where permitted and 3001 and above where permitted.

7.D.4   Permitted Classes and Engines

P   P, PP, PB, PV         2000         1
M   All except U         2000         1
MPS   All except U         2000         1
A   All except U         3001 & above    2
APS   All except U         3001 & above      2
S   All            3001 & above      2
SC   All except P, PP, PS, PV, G   3001 & above      2
SCS   All            3001 & above      2

Classes defined and not restricted under items 4A, 4B, 4C, and 4D are open for
competition. Requests for rule changes should be submitted to the Rules Committee
using the Request for Rules Consideration form (available from the committee members
or inspectors). A motorcycle rules conference will be held at Bonneville during Speed Week and at El Mirage during the September meet. Notice of dates, times, and locations
will be posted at the registration trailer.

Offline LJB

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:09:25 PM »
thanks guys!

a kind hearted soul has hooked me up off-line...

i run a race series here in OK, so, i am keenly aware of how even the mere mention of rules gets some people in the streets with pitch forks and other implements of destruction.

quickly, after a quick perusal of the Aussie's rules, am i correct in the assumption that an OEM off-road frame is not considered a production frame?

just a warning, this is probably the just the beggining of a long list of silly rookie questions, so, please be patient.

thanks!!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 12:24:42 PM »
LJB
If you plan on running SCTA/BNI use their rule book. Ask their rules and safety committee on any thing you are not sure of. ECTA, DRLA, and other venues don't always comply to the SCTA rule book. Showing up at Bonneville and saying the DRLA rule book says it's ok won't fly. Just want to see the newbys going in the right direction.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline LJB

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 12:32:37 PM »
LJB
If you plan on running SCTA/BNI use their rule book. Ask their rules and safety committee on any thing you are not sure of. ECTA, DRLA, and other venues don't always comply to the SCTA rule book. Showing up at Bonneville and saying the DRLA rule book says it's ok won't fly. Just want to see the newbys going in the right direction.
Glen

i agree completely with this, but, until I get one of these elusive SCTA/BNI rule books I am going to have to rely on the kindness of strangers and trust that when they say their rules are pretty close and will give me a starting point that their rules will in fact do that.

basically, i just need to see what the SCTA/BNI means when they state a class is such and such to get a direction to head in. Thanks to everyone so far as I know considerably more today than I did yesterday.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 01:30:02 PM »
Okay, LJB, here's part of the answer:  The rulebooks "sold out" last year, so you can't buy a new '06 copy (as far as I know).  And the '07 books won't be available for a few more months (March, I hear).

So ask if someone has a spare copy of the '06 book that you could have.  I already shipped my extra '06 to another racer so I can't offer mine, but somebody probably has a spare that he/she could do without.  The (proposed) changes from '06 that'll be incorporated into the '07 rules are posted -- so  by using last year's book , which you've got to beg from someone, and adding in the changes for '07 -- you can have the complete book in your hands within a week or so.

Do consider buying extra copies of the '07 book.  We tease about it, but think about three -- one for the shop, one for the coffeetable, one for the back of the toilet.  You'll refer to all three copies over the next year.  Put your name all over the book so when someone borrows it at the races you'll be more likely to get it back.  And when the '08 books are due out -- and someone then is in the same boat as you are now -- ship him one of your spares.

Sorry I don't have another spare for you, but I'm still willing to try to help you navigate the maze.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 03:14:10 PM »
LJB --

Take Jon up on the offer of communicating directly with him.  He's an inspector at both Maxton and Bonneville and can probably give you a straight answer to your basic inquiries.  And somehow he even seems to get along with all the various factions you are now observing on this site.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 03:19:45 PM »
All except you, you jerk!

LJB, see what a grand bunch we are?

PS  Stan, just kidding.  I really don't think you're as bad as everyone tells me you are.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com