Author Topic: No Drag Slicks allowed?  (Read 11818 times)

Offline RP

No Drag Slicks allowed?
« on: January 14, 2007, 10:04:47 AM »
I assume this new motorcycle rule(7.B.8) is for rear tires......could someone clarify this?  Is the 18 inch Goodyear Eagle Dragway Special slick tread motorcycle tire designed for the front still legal for a front tire?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: No Drag Slicks allowed?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:09:41 PM »
It sounds like another "knee jerk" rule that was not thought through by the rulers.
The note with the proposed change was as the result of 1 bad result with a wrong applicatioon and by one of them.
They could have benefited from some prior review that is so valuable to the cars for example and that additional preview might have resulted in fewer mistakes.
Dipping from the strainer basket of the gene pool comes to mind. :roll:

"Failed as designed or designed to fail ?"

THAT IS MY NICE
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:18:46 PM »
Another example of not thinking about how you can read a rule.

If I have to think about it, it isn't clear. Since I am thinking about it, I would guess that the rule is talking about a drag racing slick that has a flat profile, where on a bike you would be up on a thin edge if you turned at all.

But the rule says no drag racing slicks, and that would include the entire Goodyear Eagle Dragway Special catalog. It might list the tire as am Eagle Land Speed model, but at the top of the page it still says Eagle Dragway Special.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RP

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:37:12 PM »
Maybe the 7.B.8 rule will be updated to "REAR" Drag Racing slick are not allowed??????  Since this is the first roll out of the new rules, this forum will do the proof reading for the rule makers.  Last year the shaved V rated rules bounced back and forth before being written in stone for the year.   

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:07:39 PM »
The final scheduled presentation for approval was done only a week ago and quite late.
It did not follow the car format with a prior presentation to the clubs that might have caught the error.
I think I see a pattern.
It is hard to even guess what they mean if it is written wrong.
It kinda smells like they don't know what they are talking about.

"Things that go on behind closed doors perhaps should stay there."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 05:08:12 PM »
I have wondered wh, on the SCTA website, there is nothing that would allow for such questions to be asked and get an "official" answer.  As we have been told the powers that be don't visit this site so we are sort of just talking to each other.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 05:40:11 PM »
As a volunteer organization I can see why SCTA would not want to force their folks to have to respond to any body that might post a question on their site.  While I?m sure no one here would ask a ridiculous question, that might not be true for everybody.  That being said, I believe you can Email individual questions to the people responsible for those areas.  Am I right on this?

John

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 06:07:06 PM »
Maybe the 7.B.8 rule will be updated to "REAR" Drag Racing slick are not allowed??????  Since this is the first roll out of the new rules, this forum will do the proof reading for the rule makers.  Last year the shaved V rated rules bounced back and forth before being written in stone for the year.   

Not all of the rear drag slicks are the square profile they are likely speaking of.
They are in violation of their own rules with respect to the preview of the proposed rule changes that might highlight any mistakes or obvious favoritism.
E-mail might work if it was answered but that is also selective and only one person gets a possible answer that can be as bad as the initial rule and the rest go wanting.
When answered on a forum like this the questions and answers are more accountable.
Ask the guy that not only misunderstand a rule, put it the wrong context, and then lied about it's origin.
You no longer see him around here and he has said he feels this is an "ignorant conversation."
I think I see a pattern.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 06:20:49 PM by JackD »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 06:17:19 PM »
John
www.scta-bni.org  the web site has the board members and the committees listed with address, e-mail etc. You can contact them and get what you are asking or direct you to someone who can help in most caes.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 06:18:21 PM »
there is a fellow I know who ran a "road racing" DOT tire last year to +200mph range on the rear of a typical blown M framed hayabusa. massive delamination and chunking. wide footprint. low profile. it is a DOT tire now w-i-d-e-l-y accepted in drag racing circles as gospel. wide reaching sweeps often miss what is buried under the rug.
well, its the best "dolanese" I can come up with. ;)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 06:36:36 PM »
Proper tire preparation and use would have allowed that tire to go substantially faster in a long LSR application.
What might work at Maxton or Gainsville, won't work on the salt without some additional conditioning.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 07:11:49 PM »
You can certainly e-mail them.  Sometimes you get an answer.  I didn't word my previous post too well (maybe I should be a rule writer!).  What I meant was a section where proposed rule changes could be posted and discussed.  What has bothered me for a long time is what happened this year.  Rule change proposals not made available to those they may affect until January 7th. to take effect immediately.  If you are building a bike or a car you could be hit with a major surprise.  And for those unfortunate enough not to have this forum available getting your 2007 rule book in March is a bit late if you plan to run at El Mirage in May.  Don't flame me, it's only a thought.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 08:17:28 PM »
Proper tire preparation and use would have allowed that tire to go substantially faster in a long LSR application.
What might work at Maxton or Gainsville, won't work on the salt without some additional conditioning.

it was prepped and passed tech as "shaved" proper prep DOT for speed rating. go figure.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 08:48:18 PM »
7.B.8 Tire Requirements
0-130 H rated
131-150 V rated
151 + ZR rated or V rated shaved.
No description anywhere what "shaved" might entail, but clear enough
200+ Experience has shown that using tires with hard rubber compounds and reducing the tread thickness by 2/3 by carefully shaving the tread provides the best results.

This is an 8.25x15 forklift tire. Should work, huh?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 08:59:39 PM »
What might work at Maxton or Gainesville, won't work on the salt without some additional conditioning.

it was prepped and passed tech as "shaved" proper prep DOT for speed rating. go figure.
bbb

I and others have done a lot of figuring and proper conditioning would include a break in session that substantially improved the bond of the tread compound to the casing.
Even the employer of the head ruler has proved that and used it to their advantage.
The speeds that are encountered in Police work on a bike have now included the adoption the break in procedure and that has made a remarkable difference in the accident rate for them due to tire failures.
Proper preparation techniques have been described here  in the past and don't always include shaving a new tire. A proper tire that has been used but undamaged will be the best .
Jack