Author Topic: Air Intakes  (Read 2157 times)

Offline esqeddy

• New folks
Air Intakes
« on: January 13, 2007, 10:29:12 PM »
Hello fellow land speeders,

I've got a rule question that I may ultimately have to officially pose to SCTA.  However, thought I would ask it here first in the hopes that someone might have a definative answer, such that I could avoid disturbing the officials.

I am building a new blower motor for a modified car.  I purchased a used blower set up that came complete with the hat.  The hat has 4 ea. round 4" dia. butterflies.  The area of these 4 butterflies = 4X4pi = 50.265 in2.  However, when you subtract out the area covered by the bar which the butterflies are mounted to, then the total area is less than 48 in2.

Rule 4.B states that Air Intakes: "Protruding air intakes, other than O.E.M.  must not exceed 48 square inches of frontal area."

Now my question is does this mean the area where the air actual flows into the hat? i.e. the actual surfact area into which the air flows?  Because if it means the area of the entire face of the hat, then I have a problem.  The total area is probably more like 60 in2.

Thanks for your consideration.

Offline jimmy six

Re: Air Intakes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:22:45 AM »
In my opinion the injector "hat " is an injector and not considered a hood scoop/air intake. A device added to the front of it may come under this definition. We have competitors who currently use what you are speaking of in roadsters, altered coupes, etc: and the "hat" is so far been OK. I would contact Lee Kennedy, but I believe his answer will be the same. J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
I agree with JD. I do not know of a size limit on an injector. I know NHRA does limit the size of the injector to so many square inches, but I have never heard that to be an issue with SCTA. I believe what you are refering to would be considered air ducting or compartments.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »
NHRA has a max. of 60.5 area
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah