Author Topic: Rooms  (Read 13804 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Rooms
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:29:30 PM »
 It is my misfortune to report that there are NO motel rooms left for Speedweek in Wendover.  I spent 45 minutes on hold with the Montego Bay to be told they had sold out the Montego, the Rainbow, and the Peppermill in less than two hours this morning.  The same from the Nugget, Econolodge, Motel 6, etc.  Supposedly they are holding a Poker tournement and a Golf tournement the same week, so you can bet your ass those folks have rooms waiting.  I was able to procure a room at the Days Inn for $l50. a night, six day minimum, two week cancellation.  What a f--king rip off.  A thousand bucks even if it rains out.  They really love us in Wendover.  Time to buy a motorhome...what a great chase truck...
Bob Drury

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: Rooms
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 03:46:09 PM »
I started calling at 7:20  busy signal for hour and half, the on hold for an hour so at 9:53 was told they were all sold out. Sure making World of Speed look better and better. My arm went to sleep walking around the shop holding the damn phone to my ear on hold.  That was the real piss off.   :-(
Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »
Only 60 miles or so to Wells to get you thru until monday when you can get a room in Bendover. There is a long pass to go over but its  1/2 way closer then Salt Lake. It used to have other redeeming virtues also, maybe still does. If you dont gamble Bendover doesnt want you there

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 04:07:39 PM »
I'm sorry that you couldn't get rooms -- but thanks for the reminder.  As soon as I read the notes I made reservatons for WoS -- at least we're covered for then.

By the way, have you tried the KoA?  Nancy and I stayed in their "kabins" for years -- not bad, about $60/night including tax, license, and title, and the only thing they don't have is bathroom -- there is a/c, double bed and a pair of bunks, water spigot right outside the kabin.  Better than bend in the road -- no mosquitoes...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:38:47 PM »
Jon and all;

Just posted this same subject on email list. Like minds 'ya think? Bonneville Inn doesn't answer,Salt Flats Inn say call back May 1st. No, I didn't try WEstern Ridge. Maybe I could get the Tony Hopkins special?Guess we'll see you Jon & Nancy at Days Inn. Ok,where do we pull our dough together for the motorhome? :?Jon,how 'bout sleep space on your trailer view deck??
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:00:59 PM »
Hold the phone & presses! :-D Rooms avail at Bonneville Inn. Ok,not as many ammenities as Days Inn,but $50/day cheaper. I've stayed at Bville before. Not a bad place. As of 300PM Mtn time today,Mon Jan 8.
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 05:38:41 PM »
.........  Supposedly they are holding a Poker tournement and a Golf tournement the same week, so you can bet your ass those folks have rooms waiting............

Might be worth the try telling them you are trying to get a room for one of those events........just a little white lie... :evil:,

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 06:33:45 PM »
Here's one thing that pisses me off, the owner/manager of the Econolodge and Days Inn is or was the mayor of Wendover, and features pictures of famous LSR cars in and around the lobby.  He shows his appreciation by charging a non-refundable grand per room.  Also, it would have been nice for the "Big Three" to put a message on their reservation line announcing the sell out.  What the hell, as Marlo once told me, "the two things I have never been able to tame at Bonneville is trailer tires and motel rooms".
Bob Drury

landracing

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 07:47:52 PM »
Motel 6 treats us just right...

Jon

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 09:41:05 PM »
  I am not aware of the why and how come  of the present restriction, could it be time to discuss letting the racers stay in their pits? I am not trying to start anything here. I have been looking at used enclosed trailers and the ones with living quarters built in sure look good.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:50:09 PM by Roadster943 »
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Been fighting this issue for years. I know Mike Cook tried to reason with them and got no where. I agree, either let us stay on the salt with our vehicles or buy a trailer or motorhome. With the price of gas now days motorhomes are going pretty cheap compared to what they used to cost.

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 08:24:11 PM »
I doubt that there is much flexibility regarding staying on the salt. With the security they provide and the searching for "lost racers in the morning" I wouldn't plan on sleeping under the stars on the salt.

Now the rock quarry just east of town......that's a fine camp out. Too dry for mosquitos, easy access to the coffee pot at the gas station and no need for security. No one will do much walking on that surface after dark and the scorpions are not well developed.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
.............Too dry for mosquitoes, ...............FREUD

You know this last year I just moved about 200-300 yards down from the canal at the bend in the road and didn't notice any mosquitoes.  Maybe they weren't bad last year.

I did camp at the bend in the road by myself for BUB and ended up with a mouse in the teardrop at 4 in the morning that about drove me crazy before I was able to evict it  :evil:.  After that I camped out in the middle where I was a long ways from those clumps of bushes.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 01:50:59 PM »
If anyone has too much money, I am going to dump the three rooms I reserved at the Days Inn.  If you are intersted, call me and I will set up a time so you can grab them right after I call the Days Inn.  I will cancel sometime on Friday.  Remember these are two bed rooms @ $1000. per for six nights, starting Friday the 10th with a two week cancelation.  Such a deal...............Bob (360) 696-1428
Bob Drury

Offline airtanker

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »
Hi all,
I wonder how much $ Speed Week brings to Wendover.
More than some Poker jokers or Golfers ?
I know not 1 cent of my $ will be spent at the Gaming tables or the hotels/motel shops. :evil:
If everyone did this, it might make a little statement.
I've booked at Wells, less than an hours drive. They were happy to have us.
Don