Author Topic: Top Chop Question....  (Read 10524 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Top Chop Question....
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:23:24 AM »
In the rule book under comp coups it say when chopping the top "the front and rear chop shall be equal".

So as an example if I take 3 inches out of the front and 3 inches out of the back the roof will come straight down and be parallel to its original position.  That is what I have considered legal.

Now example 2, is this legal??  Take 3 inches out of the front.  Then cut the bottom of the "C" pillar where it attaches to the body leaving the very back of the "C" panel attached to the top of the trunk.  So the front part of the "C" panel would disappear down into the body as the front of the top is lowered.  In this case the top is no longer parallel to its original position, but angled down.  The front was lowered 3 inches and the back was lowered , but maybe not 3 inches and we have now changed the angle of the top in relation to the ground and the way the air will move over it and down onto the back of the car.  Is this legal?? Was the back chopped or does the rule not cover this situation??

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 03:02:47 PM by Sumner »

dwarner

Re: Top Chop Question....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 03:04:34 PM »
Hoe does >3" and <3" figure to equal?

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 03:54:23 PM »
Hoe does >3" and <3" figure to equal?

DW

So I take it that option #2 is not legal.  Thanks.  I didn't have plans to do that, but know of one that "appears" to have done that and set a record, so I'll just leave it there, now that I have my curiosity satisfied :-).

c ya,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 07:45:24 PM »
I have no clue what you are doing but every top chop I've been involved in the top ended up larger than it was stock. (not talking about a T or A here) A 3" chop where all the angles stayed the same at the sides, front, and rear took additional metal in the center area of the top. We did not re-angle the windshield. back window or sides. As I remember it was in the neighborhood of 2 to 3" in both directions. The main problems were the doors where we had to go get another set just for those few pieces to match the lines.

In the comp coupe class I believe you are able to change the angle of the windshield or at least it's height. Others need to comment here, maybe Dan or Tom Bryant.

Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 08:21:14 PM »
The bottom line is why go to all the work to hide a chop? It is hard enough to do one properly without the grief of "pulling one on the inspectors".

If rule indicates that something has to meet a certain criteria then build to the rules. The true test is the result. Do you think that hiding the C piller and putting an angle on the top was the contributing factor that pushed this vehicle to the record? I would think that this mystery vehicle had a combination that worked on that day. Is this new record unattainable now? Is it to be forever etched in the salt?

DW

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »
Sum,

Rule Book, section "4.K" Contour:  "Contour is considered to have been preserved as long as the angular relationship of thr top to the body is not changed". This relates to a top chop. It looks like the intent is to have the same dimensional relationship of boby line to top line, no matter how you achieve it.

My view of the rule, but what the hell do I know.

Tom

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 12:22:16 AM »
The bottom line is why go to all the work to hide a chop? It is hard enough to do one properly without the grief of "pulling one on the inspectors". DW

I don't think they did what they did to hide anything.  In fact if what they did is not considered a legal chop I think they didn't realize it.

If rule indicates that something has to meet a certain criteria then build to the rules. The true test is the result. Do you think that hiding the C piller and putting an angle on the top was the contributing factor that pushed this vehicle to the record?
DW

No, but I'll bet it helped.

I would think that this mystery vehicle had a combination that worked on that day. Is this new record unattainable now? Is it to be forever etched in the salt?
DW

They actually have a well thought out combination and I think there is a lot more in the car the way it is.

Is this new record unattainable now? Is it to be forever etched in the salt?
DW

I don't believe that is true of any record or we all wouldn't be going back out there :-).  I'm not trying to stir up trouble for this car or it's owner, I was just interested.  My wife says I always ask too many questions and she is probably right :cry:.

Have a good 1st Dan,

Sum

Juan Enrique

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 06:21:57 PM »
I just read an article in Hot Rod about a car that suggested they raked the back window. I was wondering how they could have made this error when the rulebook seems clear on not modifying the contour of the vehicle behind the cowl.
I only bought the issue because it had LeVan Prothero's 1967 Camaro in it.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 07:56:26 PM »
I just read an article in Hot Rod about a car that suggested they raked the back window. I was wondering how they could have made this error when the rulebook seems clear on not modifying the contour of the vehicle behind the cowl.
I only bought the issue because it had LeVan Prothero's 1967 Camaro in it.

:roll: :-) ,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 09:21:45 PM »
The truth is that if a chop looks to be equal, i.e. the top brought straight down it will more than likely get by.

Now I will read my copy of Hot Rod and check the Blowfish article. If the rear window is indeed raked I will have to call Troy and make them cut the top off.

When your car is featured in a major publication don't reveal rule infractions, not the smart thing to do. The new rule that gives the board the option to pull a record may come into play here.

Now if some one wants to provide us with the exact dimensions for every car ever made with heights, window angles and all else that is affected by a top chop I will be able to check all vehicles for rule compliance. Oh yeah, templates would be appreciated.

DW

Offline tortoise

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »
I'm still waiting for the new rulebook or I'd just look it up, but I'm sure the top chop rules are not the same for gas and altered coupes, and competition coupes. Can someone clarify this?

Also regarding Blowfish aero, isn't a comp coupe body pretty much anything goes forward of the cowl? Wouldn't it have been slicker to fully enclose the front wheel wells?

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 01:14:23 PM »
Not real sure but I think the top is aft of the cowl.

DW

Offline tortoise

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 01:41:30 PM »
Not real sure but I think the top is aft of the cowl.

DW
Yup. My 2nd paragraph was about a separate issue. Do you have an opinion as to whether the front wheels are forward of the cowl?

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 01:55:33 PM »
"separate issue."

Sorry to offend. I did not see a separte issue in the thread.

DW

Offline tortoise

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 02:04:52 PM »
Sorry to offend. I did not see a separte issue in the thread.
None taken. I just raised the issue of the wheel wells because it interested me. Seems like in spite of the fact the damn car is fast enough to run the record, they left some speed on the table just because it looked prettier that way.