Author Topic: Hurricane  (Read 6089 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Hurricane
« on: December 27, 2006, 03:35:43 PM »
Dynoroom,

you add this picture to the "historical".

The wind tunnel model is the original Arivett streamliner, which is now owned by David Haas from Las Vegas, he set a 308 mph record this year during the Speedweek.
He runs the streamliner with modified rear end and windshield, due to this that the rear end was aerodynamicly not clean, also he could look not properly out of the old canopy.

So did Immerso bought the molds from the streamliner which was sold a while ago from the Arivett brothers.

Did you got more information on this?

Thanks in advance.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 03:36:58 PM »
This was the picture you add.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline naked

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 03:57:10 PM »
great picture

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 11:29:49 PM »
Pork Pie

Is that Ermies old streamliner in the foreground of that foto?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 11:33:27 PM »
Freud as far as I know that's the new car that was never finished
GB
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:43:41 PM »
Dynoroom,

you add this picture to the "historical".

The wind tunnel model is the original Arivett streamliner, which is now owned by David Haas from Las Vegas, he set a 308 mph record this year during the Speedweek.
He runs the streamliner with modified rear end and windshield, due to this that the rear end was aerodynamicly not clean, also he could look not properly out of the old canopy.

So did Immerso bought the molds from the streamliner which was sold a while ago from the Arivett brothers.

Did you got more information on this?

Thanks in advance.

The Hurricane is the Arivett tunnel model of the car Hass is currently running. I do not think the molds are with this model.
The Immerso car below the model is owned by the Fergesons and is being readied to run in the not to distant future. It has twin turbine engines and 4 wheel drive with about 3500 hp.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 11:51:30 PM »
One of the great fotos I ever accomplished was of Immerso's turbine liner. The slots in the body panel fasteners are visible and Immerso had absolutely no interest in the image at all. I liked the heat distortion from the huge exhaust.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 11:55:28 PM »
Let me modify my prior post.  It was a good foto. Great probably isn't appropriate as I consider my work.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 04:38:04 AM »
Pork Pie

Is that Ermies old streamliner in the foreground of that foto?

FREUD

Freud,

this has to be the third one, so as Glen wrote, the first two racers was not so narrow.

If now the Ferguson owns this car, so as the bought the Vesco #444 body, could be that they bought  the Arivett mold of the streamliner.

I only got the information that the mold was sold, not to David Haas, but I couldn't find out who was the buyer.

Anyway, I can ask them in August.

By the way, they always has a hard time with the exhaust pressure, Don Vesco use the exhaust pressure at the Turbinator as downforce.
Pork Pie

Offline mkilger

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 10:49:50 AM »
Porkpie, the molds to the Arivett steamliner are owned by Bobby Waldon(Waldon speed shop) I hope that helps you.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 11:15:34 AM »
Fergusons do indeed have molds of an Arivett streamliner-the 245 mph Ed Dempsey electric- which were lifted off the Eyeball Engineering aluminum-bodied electric. Waldon's are the Haas molds.

A flathead racer in Australia leased the electric molds and had made parts from them down under.
Fergusons purchased them after their return and the closing of the Arivett shop.

The white Arivett ex-dragster streamliner, as driven by Kenny Hoover, is still for sale with its molds for $50,000.
The car is in complete running condition.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline mkilger

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 11:40:06 AM »
You are right, but waldon  had the molds long before the shop closed, lets just hope the someone does somthing with them, I have seen them and they are very nice and well done. Don Arivett could have done well with the steamliner if the money and suport would have been there for him. neat guy the talk to. I got to see one of the motors on the dino 1400hp wow, what a show.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »
Thanks, now I know what happens with the different molds. I know that Don sold them but to who was a big question mark on my list.
Pork Pie

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 08:39:51 PM »
In the interest of accuracy=my post mentioned NOTHING about the time frame on theWaldon purchase of the Arivett/Haas molds- I believe he bought them when he was still in Texas and is now, I've been informed, Haas' crew chief on the liner  replacing Jeff shipley.

I you saw one of the Arivett engines on the dyno it would have had to been in the race car on the diesel chassis dyno in their building complex as no other tests were made. Correct???

Giving credit where it should be due, Chet Herbert was an important supporter of this project, alongside MANY others.

What's sad is that the dream of Don Arivett, and to no lesser extent his brother, Gerald, the designer of the shape of the vehicle, will probably never be realized in his, Don's, lifetime , as his health has badly deteriorated recently.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)