Author Topic: A.I.-Generated Land Speed Record Cars  (Read 1954 times)

Offline fissionspeed

Re: A.I.-Generated Land Speed Record Cars
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 08:02:32 PM »
Someone please explain the resistance.  I see this as just another tool in the box.

AI is a computer program, just like CFD, Data Logging and the ECM controlling your engine.
No one here seems to have a problem with using any of those.

As for getting a rulebook,
who said any of these designs are intended to run in the scta?
Did Richard Noble need a rulebook when designing the Thrust SSC?

Using AI to generate outputs from a training model (that you own or have permission to use) with specific goals in mind interesting. AI generated "art" is stealing with extra steps (in my opinion).

Offline aircap

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 12:29:34 AM »
Someone please explain the resistance.  I see this as just another tool in the box.

Tools are made to be used correctly. The results you posted might look like record setting machines to the uninitiated. To someone with a historical perspective and a bit of experience - it's obvious you need to provide better input. Heard of GIGO?

AI is a computer program, just like CFD, Data Logging and the ECM controlling your engine.

Spoken like a true noob.

As for getting a rulebook, who said any of these designs are intended to run in the scta?

You should ask him and the engineers who worked on it. Bet they can provide you with some real world reference material to help you with your next offerings...
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline gowing

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 10:48:03 AM »

Tools are made to be used correctly. The results you posted might look like record setting machines to the uninitiated. To someone with a historical perspective and a bit of experience - it's obvious you need to provide better input. Heard of GIGO?

Spoken like a true noob.

As for getting a rulebook, who said any of these designs are intended to run in the scta?

You should ask him and the engineers who worked on it. Bet they can provide you with some real world reference material to help you with your next offerings...

Boy... you sure told me !  :cry:

But you didn't answer the question.

Consider this, every vehicle that has ever raced all started the same way, as a concept.
An idea that was put to paper and then built.

The A.I. pics that were posted are just that, concept vehicles.
Just because these ideas were constructed on a computer screen instead of a drafting table doesn't make them any less valid.

Now,
as a noob, I would like to ask you a question.
According to the SCTA rulebook, What class is Rosco's Aussie rocket going to run in?

Seriously,
 I thought that this is a great topic for discussion here on this forum full of very smart guys.
Especially with innovation and ingenuity being the keys to LSR and going faster.

I honestly expected that advancements in technology would not only be accepted here but also celebrated.
Or at the very least, not so readily dismissed.

Not wanting to argue,
I will now take my views on this subject back into the shadows with me and continue to lurk
as engaging in meaningful and insightful dialog on this topic seems unlikely.

Have a nice day.   :-)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2024, 12:28:31 PM »
So what inputs did you specify for your AI to follow
CD?
covered wheels?
engine dimensions that must fit?
roll structures specs?
exhaust locations?

For these I used Wonder app and my prompt was: ?full view of an extremely beautiful, aerodynamic, very advanced, very technical, official, 100ft long, super narrow, super slim, complex, slightly bizarre, strangely shaped, pointed nose land speed record car with sponsorship decals in full view?

It takes a lot of tries before a good one comes out.

OK let's add a touch of realism... how do you plan to transport a 100ft long car? Maybe the input should be 50 ft... although I already know the problems associated with transporting a 43ft car... special 53 ft trailer had to be built.  Practical should be an input as well.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2024, 01:51:45 PM »
I was content with watching this from the sideline knowing that one of this group would post a famous Jack Dolan quote sooner or later. 

Okay, I'm tired of waiting so here it is,  "Theorectical vehicles set theorectical records".  RIP Jack

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 03:30:40 PM »
Rule book? You don't need no stinkin' rule book if you are setting the world land speed record.
The FIA rule book, so-called, defines the vehicle type setting the record and the record being attempted.
The design, within the class description, is up to the person attempting the record.
Craig Breedlove, Art Arfons, Walt Arfons, Reaction Dynamics, Richard Noble, created their vehicles to their own rules while meeting the FIA definition of an automobile.
Fundamentally, 4 wheels, not in a line, and steered through 2.
Run what you brung!
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline salt27

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 04:22:20 PM »
Dick, do you happen to know what FIA requirements changed in January of 2016 that made the NAE non-compliant?

Thanks, Don

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2024, 05:22:13 PM »
Don,

you talking about the safety requirements which based on the SCTA/USFRA rules and starts with the January 2016...Blue Flame, Thrust II and Thrust SSC was build that they would have match to this rules. Breedlove and Walt Arfons, maybe would have add some tubes, Art Arfons was very close to this rules.
so, that way, they record holders was well build....and comparing the Breedlove and Arfons cars to the racers which run in the same time at the Speedweek, their racer was far ahead of the SW racer....
so, don't worry..... :cheers:

Dick, do you happen to know what FIA requirements changed in January of 2016 that made the NAE non-compliant?

Thanks, Don
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline salt27

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2024, 05:46:08 PM »
Thanks Thomas, I didn't know what rules changed but figured it was a bit more complicated than having four wheels with two that steered.

Don

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2024, 09:49:25 AM »
Tom, The Blue Flame was not designed to SCTA, USFRA, AAA, USAC regulations. Reviewing the extensive bibliography in the 6 IIT design theses, there is no reference to such regulations. Also, I don?t recall ever having such a discussion. After comparing published design data on historical and then-current racing automobile and aircraft designs, it was decided to follow monocoque aircraft structural engineering structure. The only other consideration for driver safety was the ?roll bar? head protection structure. That was added due to personal experience of Pete and myself, losing two friends, Nicky Bogden and Chuck Suba in fuel dragster accidents.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2024, 01:03:56 PM »
Dick,

did I say something other....

I said, from the view of safety, this racers were built safe enough....if they had to match to a safety requirement, like SCTA or now FIA, they would have done....

all this design just for safety was done by the builder without following a rule paper by a organization....they just built it safe.....

Tom, The Blue Flame was not designed to SCTA, USFRA, AAA, USAC regulations. Reviewing the extensive bibliography in the 6 IIT design theses, there is no reference to such regulations. Also, I don?t recall ever having such a discussion. After comparing published design data on historical and then-current racing automobile and aircraft designs, it was decided to follow monocoque aircraft structural engineering structure. The only other consideration for driver safety was the ?roll bar? head protection structure. That was added due to personal experience of Pete and myself, losing two friends, Nicky Bogden and Chuck Suba in fuel dragster accidents.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2024, 04:27:18 PM »
My misunderstanding.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2024, 04:41:34 PM »
I heard someone asked ed why the nae did not have a roll cage he said that at the speed the car would be running that if there was a crash a roll cage would not protect you.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline TD

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2024, 07:38:18 PM »
I was content with watching this from the sideline knowing that one of this group would post a famous Jack Dolan quote sooner or later. 

Okay, I'm tired of waiting so here it is,  "Theorectical vehicles set theorectical records".  RIP Jack

Or the Rickover variant, "Paper submarines work best."  :-D

Tim

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2024, 12:04:20 AM »
I heard someone asked ed why the nae did not have a roll cage he said that at the speed the car would be running that if there was a crash a roll cage would not protect you.
That has to be the dumbest excuse for not putting in a driver cage & safety systems that I've ever heard! & by the way, NAE was a 5 wheel vehicle with only the front one steering.
  Sid.