Author Topic: How do you guys do it?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline 71GSSDemon

How do you guys do it?
« on: March 21, 2024, 09:07:42 AM »
Hello Everyone.  I am new to any and all attempts at racing (in a matter of building a car to race myself)  I want to get this Charger done and bring it out to the salt - life long dreams.  Anyway, how do you guys do it.  It is very conceivable to have new seat belts, helmets, fire suits, window nets, bellhousings, flywheels, harmonic balancers, etc expire before they even get used.  Is it just a plunge of money just before bringing it the first time and send it in near expiration to get the offending components recerted?  I would think a tech inspector visual inspection would work for most things, but that is just me.  A bad car year, some rain and parts that have never been even worn/used are expired. Just looking to see what some of you experience racers are doing.  Thanks in advance.  Eric

Offline Gary Perkinson

Re: How do you guys do it?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 09:38:47 AM »
Hello Everyone.  I am new to any and all attempts at racing (in a matter of building a car to race myself)  I want to get this Charger done and bring it out to the salt - life long dreams.  Anyway, how do you guys do it.  It is very conceivable to have new seat belts, helmets, fire suits, window nets, bellhousings, flywheels, harmonic balancers, etc expire before they even get used.  Is it just a plunge of money just before bringing it the first time and send it in near expiration to get the offending components recerted?  I would think a tech inspector visual inspection would work for most things, but that is just me.  A bad car year, some rain and parts that have never been even worn/used are expired. Just looking to see what some of you experience racers are doing.  Thanks in advance.  Eric

Hey...so how "done" is the Charger right now? Do you have old safety equipment in there from previous racing, or is it just a production car that you'd like to turn into a race car? Either way, all the safety equipment in the car and on you has to be currently certified before you can pass inspection and race, so that money will have to be spent one way or the other before you can make any runs. As far as new safety stuff going out of certification before you get a chance to get the car to Bonneville, well, that's a roll of the dice, I guess, but you do get a pretty large window on most things. Good luck!
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 09:47:32 AM »
I don?t know who?s rule book you are reading, but there are no expiration dates in the SCTA on Fire Suits, Belhousings, Flywheels, or Dampers. Don?t read thing into the rule book that are not there.
A Snell 2015 Helmet is good until 2027. Belt are good for 3 years after the expiration date as long as they are in good condition.
You forgot the Fire bottles, need to be certified every 2 years.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:50:34 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 10:14:36 AM »
So, to answer both.  This is a new build so there is no old equipment to move over except the bellhousing/scatter shield which needs recert.  I am hoping for 2025 for a debut, so I will put off all the safety items that expire as long as I can.  I guess I was unsure what is actually checked versus just knowing what is SFI expired. I guess I may be reading into things that aren't said. 2023 Rule book.  I will need to dig deeper into what is actually said.  Paranoia of getting out there then something missed stops me from running.  Like I said, I am new to all of this.  Thank you!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:22:23 AM by 71GSSDemon »

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 11:05:32 AM »
I don't see where it says scatter shield needs a re-cert, as long as its a 1/4" in thickness and completely encases the clutch the SCTA will sign off or a SFI 6.1,6.2 or 6.3 depending on applications. (3.0) in rule book.
327,B/GR

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 11:31:51 AM »
Awesome, thanks guys.  I am open to all insight on this stuff.  It seems very overwhelming to a newbie

Offline fissionspeed

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 01:11:07 PM »
As someone who is not only new to the sport but also new to race car fabrication, I feel your pain. What helped me the most was joining an SCTA club. There have been a few things where I needed a black and white clarification from the rules committee, but it has been immensely helpful to know a group of guys who have been doing this for 30, 40, 50+ years. Many club members also serve as SCTA inspectors. It may not be an option to meet in person if you're not local, but maybe there's a group chat or something you can join where discussion can be had much more readily than over email or the forum.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 01:16:36 PM »
Fire Bottles (2 years)... Belts (5 years) expire... Helmets (10+ years) expire... anything metal that met SFI and has a tag does not expire, roll cages don't expire but do have to meet the rulebook requirements and pass tech every time you race.
You can print off the inspection sheet and make sure everything they look at is correct. Fire suits don't expire...
You might want to explore the USFRA 150 Club as a starting place... don't know you speed goal, but it has a 159.99 limit... with fewer requirements...
Kinda depends on how serious $$$ you want to get
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 01:22:15 PM »
Thank you.  SCTA club may be a great thing to look into.

I never thought of printing an inspection form.  Duh.  Thanks.  I have actually thought the USFRA street class or 150mph club would be the best place to start.  Got my feet wet and meet people, ask questions.  My ultimate goal is 200mph.  No records, no nothing.  Time slip is enough.  It will take a long time, but it will be worth it.  Baby steps until then. 

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 01:40:07 PM »
SE Wisconsin, hunh?  There are a few racers within a hundred or so miles of you.  Chris Conrad/Milwaukee Midget is in Milwaukee, as you might guess.  He's a member here and might be worth chasing down and asking for coffee... :-) :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 02:03:52 PM »
Thanks, I will try tracking him down.  I had a post a while back asking if there was anyone in WI to chat with.  Maybe someone up in Rice Lake/Hayward, but never got a name.  I believe there is a black Monte Carlo in WI that runs at USFRA.  Seen a YouTube video.  Can't find them.

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 02:47:42 PM »
Thank you.  SCTA club may be a great thing to look into.

I never thought of printing an inspection form.  Duh.  Thanks.  I have actually thought the USFRA street class or 150mph club would be the best place to start.  Got my feet wet and meet people, ask questions.  My ultimate goal is 200mph.  No records, no nothing.  Time slip is enough.  It will take a long time, but it will be worth it.  Baby steps until then.

Ok, where do I find an inspection form?  I looked on this site, the mother site, BNI/SCTA site. Searches find nothing.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2024, 02:59:25 PM »
scta-bni.org
Bottom of page, second item, Bonneville Documents.
Oops, looks like they moved it.... Hang on....
Okay, it's under SCTA Racing Info.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 03:03:13 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2024, 03:03:59 PM »
scta-bni.org
Bottom of page, second item, Bonneville Documents.
Oops, looks like they moved it.... Hang on....

ah ok. I thought I was going crazy.  I assumed there also. 

Offline 71GSSDemon

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2024, 03:06:23 PM »
Got it!  Thanks.